I'm not a dictator, says angry Prayut

Lite Beer

A post has been edited.

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would happen to a group of young students in Germany who stood up near the Prime Minister and gave Hitler salutes?

two entirely different salutes you can't compare.

OK what if a group of students gave a rude guesture to Mr Abbott at a meeting?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-12/protesters-clash-with-police-outside-tony-abbott-speech/5739486

Edited by harrry

What would happen to a group of young students in Germany who stood up near the Prime Minister and gave Hitler salutes?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-12/protesters-clash-with-police-outside-tony-abbott-speech/5739486

Final words of the article answer your query " no arrests have been made."

Did you expect it to say "the students were sent off for attitude readjustment in a camp in the outback?"

The Australian Army wasn't called, they weren't arrested at gun point and weren't dragged off for brainwashing/reprogramming. They were allowed to have an opinion and the freedom to express that opinion. You can't possibly compare Australia and a military dictatorship wherever in the world.

Off corse there is a problem here. I just wish the good General would come out and expose Thaksin and the police chiefs for exactly what they are and talk about the power, the anti-democratic power of these people. Talk about the corruption on a massive scale, how Thaksin can still get exactly what he wants out of this country simply by snapping his fingers; talk about how extremely wealthy foreign businessmen are stopped by the customs police and threatened until huge sums are handed over. Most of this stuff is not public, but it's there and the reason that the General is there too is to try and protect this country. He's probably not the best man for the job in terms of dictatorial toughness but he probably is a good soft, but temporary answer. The reason why many foreigners won't invest large sums here is because it is all so temporary. Thaksin and his like are awaiting in the wings. They haven't given up and they are b....dy dangerous. What next? I wish I had the answer.

"I just wish the good General would come out and expose Thaksin and the police chiefs..."

Incapable.

He's cut from the same cloth. wai2.gifwai.gif

When are people going to realize that?

facepalm.gif

Democracy then degenerates into tyranny where no one has discipline and society exists in chaos.

Democracy is taken over by the longing for freedom.

Power must be seized to maintain order

A champion will come along and experience power, which will cause him to become a tyrant.

The people will start to hate him and eventually try to remove him but will realize they are not able.

The tyrannical man is the son of the democratic man.

He is the worst form of man.

Plato

380 BC.

Look beyond these pathetic little men scurrying around just to line their pockets.

Read your history.

....................."He's cut from the same cloth.".....................

No he is not !

If he was, he would be an on the run criminal illegally funding a terrorist organization to further his needs and running a government via Skype, also illegally.

And thank you for posting that lovely quote from Plato, "An ode to Thaksin".......................clap2.gif

I think the current situation is the best Thailand can have at present. Pity TV does not have more Thai members. It in main just consists of xpat rants directed towards a country that they are allowed to live in on invitation.

But back to the above: were the senate to have not then blocked it (the senate of course did block it), the courts certainly would have. Thus: checks and balances. And in this case it looks like the system worked, no? The funny thing is that as the protests intensified, the amnesty bill actually would have cost PTP a HUGE amount of votes. With the funding for rice payments also around the corner at the time, it would have led to an absolute political catastrophe for PTP in their heartlands which the democrats, or parties allied to the democrats would have easily capitalised on. The tragedy is that this would have actually led to a more mature and stronger democracy. When a former entrenched area begins to split up, the campaign to retain or contest this seat becomes more focused on individual and personal self interest over ideological group identity. Further, in showing their political maturity in campaigning to hold PTP to account as well as illustrating their own capacity to govern, Thailand would be the winner. With a strong shadow government in place and holding the government of the day to account, the need for political intervention by the people is significantly reduced and indeed becomes more ridiculous.

That's the tragedy of this coup, that with the Thaksins beginning to implode under their own sleaze there was a good chance to effect change democratically. The problem is the elites here don't accept the concept of equality like we do in the West. They think of themselves as an upper caste and don't want any foolish notions that a farmer from the northeast is their equal. They may have benign attitudes to them the way you look at a dumb rustic who cleans your house and tends to your garden, but they don't in their bones believe they have equal rights. So the "Democrats" didn't step up to the plate by reforming themselves into an inclusive party with nationwide reach. And I don't want to hear any nonsense about vote buying, intimidation, etc. If the army can launch a coup, they can also supervise a watertight election, provided the will is there. Edited by sundrenched
  • Like 2

I think the current situation is the best Thailand can have at present. Pity TV does not have more Thai members. It in main just consists of xpat rants directed towards a country that they are allowed to live in on invitation.

6+ months ago this place was overrun by yellow shills. They're here, but the penny has dropped. They're too busy now licking their wounds from realizing they've been the establishment's useful fools.

• Like 1

Now I know this might come as a shock to a lot of posters but the stuttering parrot was wrong!

The third instalment of the hunger games was not completely banned and those who received a visit from the attitude adjustment police have chosen not to show it yet it is being shown in various locations.

The good news is that tickets sales are up over 13% so far over the 2nd installment and they attributing this to the junta stand on the three finger salute.

It's reported up in chiang rai close to the army base the three finger salute was graffitied on the walls and also anti coup slogans at the Mae fah luang uni.

Unfortunately for the general detaining the Khon kaen 5 did not have the desired effect the general was looking for.

In fact it's has only galvanised the underground dissidents he feared and swelled their ranks.

You might not call yourself an ictator but you'll do until one comes along!

The Australian Army wasn't called, they weren't arrested at gun point and weren't dragged off for brainwashing/reprogramming. They were allowed to have an opinion and the freedom to express that opinion. You can't possibly compare Australia and a military dictatorship wherever in the world.

I'm confused - are we allowed to call Thailand's regime this(which is obviously is) or not?

Edited by Neeranam

Many of us are welcome to gain citizenship, permanent residency. Many, it seems, don't want to even try fr these statuses as they think the country is a joke.

True power in Thailand has always existed outside of elected government(s). You will know a reform effort is serious when [by virtue of constitution and laws] the military is placed firmly under civilian control, all authority to govern is clearly vested in elected representatives and an effective set of checks and balances is adopted and subsequently respected. Short of this, Thai "democracy" will remain a sham.

That's what Chatachai was trying to do when he was arrested.

HE RESTORED LAW AND ORDER?

Tell that to the parents of David and Hanna.

Tell that to the Policeman's wife , who's husband was killed by the multi-billionare Red Bull heir

Bullsh*t

I don't see how being ratified by HM that it can be a dictatorship? What am I missing?

HE allowed his opposition party to paralyze the country

HE allowed that leader to go into the monk hood without prosecution

HE overthrew a democratically elected prime minister

HE threw away a country's constitution

HE purged the country's government of all the old political party's members

HE arrested members of opposition political party and had them sent to military camps for HIS reeducation purposes

HE has forbidden any opposition to HIS views

HE is attempting to censor and control the media

If you dont understand how this equates to being a dictator that has stolen the country of Thailand from its people, then there's not much I or anybody else can say to you

HE is a dictator. Period.

He restored Law and Order.

Without Law and Order there is no Democracy.

I agree. He repressed protests, but has done nothing to restore law and order, nor has there been any change in the unequal application of the law.

Off corse there is a problem here. I just wish the good General would come out and expose Thaksin and the police chiefs for exactly what they are and talk about the power, the anti-democratic power of these people. Talk about the corruption on a massive scale, how Thaksin can still get exactly what he wants out of this country simply by snapping his fingers; talk about how extremely wealthy foreign businessmen are stopped by the customs police and threatened until huge sums are handed over. Most of this stuff is not public, but it's there and the reason that the General is there too is to try and protect this country. He's probably not the best man for the job in terms of dictatorial toughness but he probably is a good soft, but temporary answer. The reason why many foreigners won't invest large sums here is because it is all so temporary. Thaksin and his like are awaiting in the wings. They haven't given up and they are b....dy dangerous. What next? I wish I had the answer.

"I just wish the good General would come out and expose Thaksin and the police chiefs..."

Incapable.

He's cut from the same cloth. wai2.gifwai.gif

When are people going to realize that?

facepalm.gif

Democracy then degenerates into tyranny where no one has discipline and society exists in chaos.

Democracy is taken over by the longing for freedom.

Power must be seized to maintain order

A champion will come along and experience power, which will cause him to become a tyrant.

The people will start to hate him and eventually try to remove him but will realize they are not able.

The tyrannical man is the son of the democratic man.

He is the worst form of man.

Plato

380 BC.

Look beyond these pathetic little men scurrying around just to line their pockets.

Read your history.

....................."He's cut from the same cloth.".....................

No he is not !

If he was, he would be an on the run criminal illegally funding a terrorist organization to further his needs and running a government via Skype, also illegally.

And thank you for posting that lovely quote from Plato, "An ode to Thaksin".......................clap2.gif

facepalm.gif

The man who brought this all on; has disappeared quietly... Suthep. Time will tell.

The man who bought this all on in 2010 and 2013/4 is keeping a low profile at the moment - waiting his chance like any cunning predator.

He didn't "bring it all about" he was an instrument.

It is not without president for those involved in coups to disappear into a monastery after the event.

Makes prosecution unlikely but maintains the appearance of being even-handed....

The man who brought this all on; has disappeared quietly... Suthep. Time will tell.

The man who bought this all on in 2010 and 2013/4 is keeping a low profile at the moment - waiting his chance like any cunning predator.

He didn't "bring it all about" he was an instrument.

It is not without president for those involved in coups to disappear into a monastery after the event.

Makes prosecution unlikely but maintains the appearance of being even-handed....

Spin doctors are out posting again. Like flies on sh1t. The topic itself is one sided. Goodluck posting anything positive about the PM on this one.

You have a good point there....

But just be aware that the military establishment is once again repositioning itself while letting the nation know that the military ultimately controls the politics while they are not doing this only for the good of the nation rather reestablishing their right to profit, no matter which political party is in power.

Why is it the Naval Forces establishment or the Air Force establishment never organize and pull off a major Coup....the same way that the military always pulls of a Coup and says they did it for the good of the country and have the Thai peoples best interest in mind.????

The military would prefer the Democrats as that is the group, so to speak, they have done well by in the past ...but, they have to position themselves to also profit and retain control if it is not the democrats that achieve political power once again...after the elections...... that they tell everyone they will organize in disguise of being a democratic election....but they still retain the most power of all...and that will remain so.

Cheers

Who thinks the entry into the monk hood was voluntary ?

You mean Sutheps entering the Temple? Where he took the Thai name, in English meaning "the Enlightened One."

The important thing to remember is:

Before martial law was declared, Gen Prayuth told me Khun Suthep and your masses of PDRC supporters are too exhausted. Its now the duty of the army to take over the task, Mr Suthep said.

I think that some posters need to take a long hard look at the events over the 2 years leading up to the coup.

Yes,...I agree. And pay close attention to the September 2013 reconciliation forum "Uniting for the Future;" which the hate driven Mr Suthep, Abhisit Vejjajiva, and the PDRC boycotted,bringing shame for all Thais.

• Like 1