has walking street lost its appeal

novo58

10 years ago Walking Street was full of American / European / Scandanavian / Australian people. Now it's full of Indian / Arab / Chinese people.

Maybe that is the answer to your question OP.

unbelievable racist comment. Though i dont fit in any one of those group mentioned but here is something pattaya28 should know that in this downfall of Thailand's tourism industry at least those Asians and Middle eastern are keeping the business alive by coming here. Bare in mind the selected group that you criticized I bet any given day they are much more educated and well off than you are.How sallow you are its proven.

those Asians and Middle eastern are keeping the business alive by coming here

The Asians don't use farang bar beers, and the Arabs only use the ones behind Walking St. Might be keeping hotels afloat, but the farang bars are struggling.

• Like 2

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has walking street lost its appeal

Lost ?? I've stayed in Pattaya over 15 years and have no recollection of Walking Street ever having any appeal.

...only spent 30 days in Pattaya, in 2012, and apart from a daytime walk through, to get somewhere else, never went near walking street.......

When you visit here often or living here as an Expat, it is easy for Walking Street to lose it's appeal. I think if I was coming here for the fist time, I'd still be wide-eyed and have a big smile on my face. Having lived here over 5 years...not interested anymore.

• Like 2

Had an awesome time there last night, apart from that there are some quite decent restaurants popping up along that strip, there are also some clubs that I reckon among the best managed in Thailand. (Sensations, Happy, Living Dolls 1).

And just for beer bars I would always go along 2nd road, there are thousands of them I guess...

10 years ago Walking Street was full of American / European / Scandanavian / Australian people. Now it's full of Indian / Arab / Chinese people.

unbelievable racist comment. Though i dont fit in any one of those group mentioned but here is something pattaya28 should know that in this downfall of Thailand's tourism industry at least those Asians and Middle eastern are keeping the business alive by coming here. Bare in mind the selected group that you criticized I bet any given day they are much more educated and well off than you are.How sallow you are its proven.

those Asians and Middle eastern are keeping the business alive by coming here

The Asians don't use farang bar beers, and the Arabs only use the ones behind Walking St. Might be keeping hotels afloat, but the farang bars are struggling.

If the farang beer bars are struggling because they cannot evolve to cater to new demographics, then time for the owners to move on and perhaps allow newcomers to take on new challenges.

WS is constantly evolving but I can usually manage to find something to do there. But the good places are constantly changing probably due to ownership change at the clubs or something.

You just need to find the latest hot spot.

don't ask because I currently haven't found it yet.

Walking street bars and the barrage of street vendors hawking side sex shows never appealed to me...

There was one place on Walking street that had the best ice crème...and attractive young ladies working there...

No...I am really talking about ice crème...no sexual pun intended.

10 years ago Walking Street was full of American / European / Scandinavian / Australian people. Now it's full of Indian / Arab / Chinese people.

And one or two Caucasian Africans. Ha! Ha! Ha! But your point taken and I happen to agree. the Arabs you mention mostly just window shopping. They can only buy when they can ditch their travel companions. They'd probably be stoned to death, back home, just for window shopping. Don't you just love Islam or any religion for that matter.

• Like 2

You mean...it is restricted to people with some spending power tongue.png

that place has always been a sh+++++le to me.......stinking drains...pickpockets....ladyboys.....but the arabs like it!!

Reminds them of home. Spent two years in the Middle East and we all put perfumed cotton balls in the upper ear hinge as it was convenient to put our index fingers there and then hold our noses as we came upon stinking filth in the streets and markets..bah.gif

I rather see a whole lot of nationalities than sad sexpats and drunk hooligans from the uk.

Thailand is in Asia and unsurprisingly there are many Asians here. As they say in Australia and the uk to whingeing newcomers: go back to wherever you came from if you don't like it here. tongue.png

Drunk hooligans from the UK?????? What country do you come from?

Must be a country where they don't drink and hooli.....wai2.gif

You are absolute spot on and on top of that when I went with my Mrs to Pattaya two weeks ago not one South or East Asian gave some stupid comments to my lady but it was those farang looser in their 60s+ that tried to get my lady for 700-1200 Baht on those beaches of Pattaya and Jomtien.

I talked to many from Europe and they are just the last rubbish Pattaya have ever seen but my Mrs learned from me and showed them a middle finger.

You have failed to note how your Misses was dressed IE; low cut top, cleavage view, micro mini high heels and overly made up. Was it night or day. Sh**t comes the way of the stink and if there is an emitting then there belies the problem of your misses being offered money but then on the other had maybe it was an offer of charity to what appeared to be a poor forgotten lady.

...those Asians and Middle eastern are keeping the business alive by coming here.

Businesses are alive? Last I came through town I saw more of them empty, closed, for sale, or renamed than ever before. The few people I know there who do run a business are dying a slow death. How does a business fail that sells both booze and boobs? Almost sounds impossible, but it is happening.

Just because people are coming does not mean they are spending money, especially when it comes to tour groups who do not spend much outside of the tour spots they are taken to.

Sure, select businesses are doing well, but the majority are not.

• Like 2

No it isn't.

Just a statement of fact... other than he should have included Russians too, and the reality, you could see someone from anywhere these days, Samoa to Serbia, Zambian to Zulu. These newer tourist seem to find their entertainment just walking the street, and quite a crowded sight it is too. The bars etc are not really what they are looking for.

You sound like a racist suggesting he has yellow skin!

• Like 1

Walking street had appeal, when you could ride and park your motorbike outside lucky star or marine disco and when you could get a beer from the pharmacy opposite marine disco for 25 baht and sneak it in to marine and wait for the gogo girls to finish work and go for a dance. They were the days

...those Asians and Middle eastern are keeping the business alive by coming here.

Businesses are alive? Last I came through town I saw more of them empty, closed, for sale, or renamed than ever before. The few people I know there who do run a business are dying a slow death. How does a business fail that sells both booze and boobs? Almost sounds impossible, but it is happening.

Just because people are coming does not mean they are spending money, especially when it comes to tour groups who do not spend much outside of the tour spots they are taken to.

Sure, select businesses are doing well, but the majority are not.

So, one has to ask why the mongers that used to support Pattaya are not coming in the same numbers.

IMO, because of the city hall efforts to remove the bars from Beach Rd and other easily accessible areas, and force them into Buakhao and elsewhere that are difficult to reach and dangerous because no pavements to walk on.

Also, the hotel prices have gone up too much for what they are worth.

Hard to find cheap restaurants now- cost far too much. Even Kiss is too expensive.

Too much traffic and the crossing lights don't work anymore, so dangerous crossing the road.

Therefore, too expensive, and not a bar friendly place anymore.

I'm guessing it will end up like Hua Hin, grotty place with a grotty beach, and a few bars that charge high prices.

Given that city hall will never invest in decent infrastructure, I can see the end of Pattaya as a cheap and cheerful place, but not flash enough to attract the real hisos that city hall lusts for.

Perhaps it will just be a beach place for Thais from Bkk with Chinese tour groups and a lot of Russians and Indians that don't use the bars.

• Like 1

Walking street had appeal, when you could ride and park your motorbike outside lucky star or marine disco and when you could get a beer from the pharmacy opposite marine disco for 25 baht and sneak it in to marine and wait for the gogo girls to finish work and go for a dance. They were the days

I thought it was best in the mid 90s when it was still relatively new. I liked to sit in Lucky Star bar beer and watch the passing parade till late, then go to the discos till dawn.

Now they don't even have music in Lucky Star bar and Jenny Star has closed- that was always entertaining to watch.

I thought it was best in the mid 90s when it was still relatively new. I liked to sit in Lucky Star bar beer and watch the passing parade till late, then go to the discos till dawn.

Now they don't even have music in Lucky Star bar and Jenny Star has closed- that was always entertaining to watch.

It was fun watching the police come and all the ladyboys running away from jenny bar.

You could people watch all night long, some right characters around. It is 1000% different to the mid 90's. It was free and fun, no helmets, no big yaba problem and Thai people where not so tarnished with the ruder nations that since are flocking to pattaya.