Positive reception to idea of prisoners working in fishing industry

Lite Beer

My dear generals, sitting in your air-conditioned offices, when the prisoners have paid their duty to society and are released, it is their life. Nothing to do with you anymore.

Maybe hard to understand for the servants of feudal masters, that even ex-convicts have the right to decide over their own future!!

Exactly, That's just what the OP that you chose to misunderstand said.

"The Justice Ministry already has a policy to offer opportunities to prisoners...If they have experience in working in the fishing industry and are willing to work in the field

"If they have experience in working in the fishing industry and are willing to work in the field, it could help solve the current shortage of fishermen..."

Sounds like state sanctioned slavery.

Look for a marked increase in the arrests of Burmese and Laos.

"If they...are willing to work in the field

It actually sounds like a reasonable option, nothing sanctioned at all.

• Like 1

Lets paint this picture a different way.

Criminal in prison for thr most part become even better criminals after they have their prison training and get new connections. So imagine what will happen when you start filling boats with these men. Do you think they would turn down that offer to smuggle, kidnap, traffic, abuse, or any other illegal activity offered to them?

Or do you think they would be on their phones telling their new illegal connections how useful they can be in helping do any illegal activities needing a boat?

Let's paint this the rational way, they are not being given boats to operate neither will they be the captains of those boats, they will be fishermen with no say in the operation of the boats.

I actually don't see the problem. It says quite clearly that the idea is for newly released prisoners. As long as they are paid in the correct manner, ie a livable wage and they are free to leave if it's not for them. The headline is more dramatic than the reality as is the norm for TV.

No the headline is not dramatic enough considering the workingconditions within the Thai fishing-industry.

As for being " paid in a correct manner and are free to leave", where have you been the last ten years??

This is not about a better life for the ex-prisoners, but all about saving Thailands precious face before the last import countries say enough is enough!!

I am all for getting the inmates a fresh start in life, but I doubt very much, that employment within the fishingindustry is the way to go!!

So what do suggest? The headline clearly stated prisoners. If that were to happen then I would share your concern.

It is however a back to work scheme which if run properly should be a problem. I however don't have your infinite wisdom.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If the fisherman are paying the workers fair amounts and it is a real and monitored work release program then this is a rather normal thing in other places. Lots of deals in the states for low end labor and work release.

Just make sure it does not become a slave trade system via corruption, I have heard that corruption was ended in Thailand back in May or something like that.

As long as the workers are treated fair and not just rented out then it is an option for them to be out and working. It is better then a rotten cell and not just a benefit to the fishing businesses and the government.

If you think the current government might run a mock with this then I say let them have as much rope as they please - it will be a good thing if it works.

"just make sure it does not become a slave trade system". It's been slavery for decades. I'd appreciate it if you didn't add to Thai Visa any comments until you change your current situation which is you're stupendously ignorant of Thailand..

Listen Mr. 60 post. Read sic in some of this and know that I have been around Thailand 45 Years - married 43 - and lived the last 15 years here full time. I happen to know more then you might think. Corruption ending in may is normal way of saying it didn't - if you had been around awhile you would know that.

If you served any time in the service you would have learned how to bitch without being insubordinate.

"Just make sure it does not become a slave trade system via corruption, I have heard that corruption was ended in Thailand back in May or something like that." read the whole thing and think about it. "If you think the current government might run a mock with this then I say let them have as much rope as they please" stupendously ignorant - NOT.

• Like 1

A ridiculous idea. The prison warden will become the new labour agents of the fishing industry, pocketing vast sums

as they pimp out the inmates. The reason the fishing industry can't find staff is well publicized. No pay, no food, work

20 hours a day, not setting foot on land for months to years at a time as crews are moved boat to boat at sea.

I have yet to read an article of a fishing boat captain being prosecuted for the above offences. If this is untrue

the fishing industry would have no trouble finding crew instead of having to press gang a crew. A shameful industry

that makes the Jet Ski rental business look like it is run by nuns in comparison.

• Like 2

A ridiculous idea. The prison warden will become the new labour agents of the fishing industry, pocketing vast sums

as they pimp out the inmates. The reason the fishing industry can't find staff is well publicized. No pay, no food, work

20 hours a day, not setting foot on land for months to years at a time as crews are moved boat to boat at sea.

I have yet to read an article of a fishing boat captain being prosecuted for the above offences. If this is untrue

the fishing industry would have no trouble finding crew instead of having to press gang a crew. A shameful industry

that makes the Jet Ski rental business look like it is run by nuns in comparison.

I am all for giving those who made bad choices in life another chance, but I fear the above post reflects what will actually happen - the cynic in me suggests there is nothing altruistic at play here.

My dear generals, sitting in your air-conditioned offices, when the prisoners have paid their duty to society and are released, it is their life. Nothing to do with you anymore.

Maybe hard to understand for the servants of feudal masters, that even ex-convicts have the right to decide over their own future!!

What if its an early release based on the fishery servitude? Does this apply to early release for foreign prisoners? Speaking of which; do foreign prisoners have solely prisoner bunking together or are they intermixed with all nations?? What about foreign girl prisoners? What is the main prison holding the majority of foeigners?

Out with the old slaves, in with the new!!! coffee1.gif

Unless of course, it is an OPTION for the prisoners who can exchange 1 day or work for 1 day early release. Or perhaps get paid some wage for their work even if it is under the normal paying wage. Otherwise, it's slavery.

Forget the fishing industry for prisoners, I whole heartedly recommend that they will put to hard

work at the international airport, and as fight crew if possible... ( I tell ya, some of the ideas those

bureaucrats come up with defies beliefs)....

Criminal in prison for thr most part become even better criminals after they have their prison training and get new connections. So imagine what will happen when you start filling boats with these men. Do you think they would turn down that offer to smuggle, kidnap, traffic, abuse, or any other illegal activity offered to them?

Or do you think they would be on their phones telling their new illegal connections how useful they can be in helping do any illegal activities needing a boat?

Let's paint this the rational way, they are not being given boats to operate neither will they be the captains of those boats, they will be fishermen with no say in the operation of the boats.

Your rational does not account for the captains greed nor for his being outnumbered. Then your rational should take into account that yout rational captain has already been involved in illegal slavery to man his boat. So my rational surely outweighs yours

"If they have experience in working in the fishing industry and are willing to work in the field, it could help solve the current shortage of fishermen..."

Sounds like state sanctioned slavery.

Look for a marked increase in the arrests of Burmese and Laos.

"If they...are willing to work in the field

It actually sounds like a reasonable option, nothing sanctioned at all.

But they don't have to be willing to get arrested on trumped up chargessad.png

Hmmm... I'm not sure that spending hours and days at sea is a particularly good way to integrate people back into society. Sure, it's a good way to replace slave labour with something perhaps closer to bonded labour (depending how much choice the ex-prisoners are given in the matter). But given the record of this industry, it would have to be something that is very very very closely monitored by non-government bodies. What are the odds that will happen?

In other words, don't hire ex-cons to do any legitimate work, since they will find a way to turn it to their own criminal ends. That way, we can all insure that the only work they find will be criminal.

what's wrong with prisoners working rather than living free????

Sometime's I think some of you guys just want to dis Thailand, which is very easy to do I inderstand

It has nothing to do with not wanting to get prisoners working, it has to do with turning them over to an industry that is the closets thing to slavery that you can find in this part of the world

The equivalent would be a headline stating that plantation owners in the the Southern states of the US had a positive reception to the idea of "importing" field hands to pick cotton