US shopping malls: Not interested in Arabic-speaking tourists?

webfact

With oceans on either side of us, we'll we have developed a bit isolationist which comes out in our history every once in a while. Not an excuse to be ethnocentric although a case can be made that we can be this also. Course, we are not alone in this but still...As to labeling to appeal to a certain language group, well, I think this will not happen. As has been pointed out, those who come and are high end shoppers are already educated, for the most part I would think, and thus speak today's predominant international business language. I think if a case is made for Arabic shoppers, a stronger case could be made for Mandarin.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see anything in the article banning the burqa.

However, if they want to discourage high spending tourists, that's their prerogative.

The ones with the platinum cards probably already know where their malls are and wear western garb anyway.

You'd be amazed what I've seen burqa (or rather abaya and hijab, because I doubt most people realise the difference) clad ladies change into on Gulf-LHR flights.

biggrin.png

I too have seen them wearing skirts, and then change back into their country cloths on the plane on arrival into Dubai,

These are the same people from countries where people support terrorism against the US, Israel, and the Western World...

These are the same people who went out of their homes and into the streets to shout with joy when thousands of people were killed during the 9-11 bombing of the World Trade Centers in NY...

Just go away...we do not want you in the US...take your religion and your medieval intolerant ways back home with you...

• Like 2

These are the same people from countries where people support terrorism against the US, Israel, and the Western World...

These are the same people who went out of their homes and into the streets to shout with joy when thousands of people were killed during the 9-11 bombing of the World Trade Centers in NY...

Just go away...we do not want you in the US...take your religion and your medieval intolerant ways back home with you...

I think more than a few would consider that fair, as long as all Americans went home and stayed out of their countries as well.

But of course that's not reasonable is it?

How is this news or newsworthy? A couple of un-returned phone calls constitutes a story? I don't think Kathy Anderson has to explain herself.

Ever work in the Middle East? They break promises left and right without explanation. Anyone's who's lived and worked in the Gulf can tell you that. Arabs will tell you that, too.

"Enshallah...enshallah" means "God willing," but more and more it's just a polite way of saying no.

Edited by falangjim

And to be honest, as a kafir, if I want to go on a shopping spree I'll go to a kafir country, rather than to a Moslem one where I'm despised as a non-religionist. No surprise there, really.

As a kafir living in a Muslim country, I might stop off on the way home to pick up some beer from the off-license and some bacon from the supermarket.

Quite where you get your weird perceptions I don't know.

Personally I'd want to avoid an Essex shopping mall where I'm despised as being a non-Chav.

You would have to wear a hijab there Chicog to cover those bug hurdles.

I think more than a few would consider that fair, as long as all Americans went home and stayed out of their countries as well.

But of course that's not reasonable is it?

C'mon. Do Americans make it a habit of moving to their countries and living off their social/financial system.

Do high end shoppers from anywhere else feel "discriminated" against because signs aren't in their native language? Nope. They realize in America people speak English, and should expect everything to be in English. When I go to China, do I expect them to cater to my English speaking ways? Or if I go to saudi Arabia? No of course not. Why should America have to pander to them?

Actually, more often than not, especially in higher-end places, Western tourists/shoppers in Asia, expect locals to cater to their English-speaking ways. Likewise, Asian tourists/shoppers in the West are expected to know basic English to cater to the local shops.

• Like 1

The malls in Thailand and UAE caters better to them ...there is not much in a shopping mall in USA unless you want the lower end brands or generic brands

For the higher end brands the Arabs know the best service to go along with that price tags are the boutiques in Asia where the personalized service is matched by the price tags of those items

Yhellooo. What in the heck are you talking about? Lower end generic brands in the US. How about knock off, cheap counterfeit brands in Asia.

• Like 1

US should put up or shut up concerning trade and relations with Saudi Arabia. US are the largest supplier of military equipment & services to Saudi Arabia; in the billions every year. Saudi government permits US drone bases for taking our Islamic extremists in places such as Yemen and so on. Just wonder how many US citizens would lose their jobs if Saudi investment (approx US$600+ billion) were pulled out of the US, let alone the outcomes of cessation of trade and military services with Saudi Arabia.

“U.S. goods and services trade with Saudi Arabia totalled $81 billion in 2012 (latest data available). Exports totalled $25 billion; Imports totalled $56 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade deficit with Saudi Arabia was $31 billion in 2012.

Saudi Arabia is currently our 10th largest goods trading partner with $71 billion in total (two ways) goods trade during 2013. Goods exports totalled $19 billion; Goods imports totalled $52 billion. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Saudi Arabia was $33 billion in 2013”.

http://www.ustr.gov/countries-regions/europe-middle-east/middle-east/north-africa/saudi-arabia

Edited by simple1

The United States of America is a very large Country. And has some very impressive shopping Malls. To cater to everyone's language would be a very difficult task. English language is the predominant language spoken in the world with 508 million speakers worldwide. And is the official language of more countries than any other language. With this said The US of A has some of the best malls and fashion Designer shopping in the world. here is a list of the top ten. http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/shopping/articles/top-10-us-shopping-malls In America Everybody is Welcome. We enjoy all visitors who come to America to Visit, Shop and do Business. We are not much different than most countries. In America you have freedoms that maybe your countries don't allow. Are we the perfect Country No.. But we try to be as accommodating as Possible to all who are able to visit the United States of America.

US should put up or shut up concerning trade and relations with Saudi Arabia. US are the largest supplier of military equipment & services to Saudi Arabia; in the billions every year. Saudi government permits US drone bases for taking our Islamic extremists in places such as Yemen and so on. Just wonder how many US citizens would lose their jobs if Saudi investment (approx US$600+ billion) were pulled out of the US, let alone the outcomes of cessation of trade and military services with Saudi Arabia.

U.S. goods and services trade with Saudi Arabia totalled $81 billion in 2012 (latest data available). Exports totalled $25 billion; Imports totalled $56 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade deficit with Saudi Arabia was $31 billion in 2012.

Saudi Arabia is currently our 10th largest goods trading partner with $71 billion in total (two ways) goods trade during 2013. Goods exports totalled $19 billion; Goods imports totalled $52 billion. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Saudi Arabia was $33 billion in 2013.

http://www.ustr.gov/countries-regions/europe-middle-east/middle-east/north-africa/saudi-arabia

Sorry, US does not owe anyone anything. Nothing to put up or shut up about. How about everyone can kiss our white hinnies.

The malls in Thailand and UAE caters better to them ...there is not much in a shopping mall in USA unless you want the lower end brands or generic brands

For the higher end brands the Arabs know the best service to go along with that price tags are the boutiques in Asia where the personalized service is matched by the price tags of those items

Yhellooo. What in the heck are you talking about? Lower end generic brands in the US. How about knock off, cheap counterfeit brands in Asia.

Gap , old Navy, Banana Republic, H&M , Polo , Nautical, Guess, eagle Outfitters etc etc .... All generic brands and not high end ....if you think these are luxury brands I guess you are not much of a shopper :)

Made in Asia without care for the proper OSHA and work protection laws or wages I certainly agree with that

Edited by LawrenceChee

We don't need them, don't want them and never will.

Stay at home in your sweltering sandbox, ride your camels, herd your goats and make more babies with your wives and slaves. My fervent prayer is that oil and gas fall to $5.00 a barrel

So they should learn to say "Do you want that Burqa in Black or Dark Black?"

Gap , old Navy, Banana Republic, H&M , Polo , Nautical, Guess, eagle Outfitters etc etc .... All generic brands and not high end ....if you think these are luxury brands I guess you are not much of a shopper :)

Made in Asia without care for the proper OSHA and work protection laws or wages I certainly agree with that

For jeans, I wear D-Squared, D&G, Cavali. I may have a pair of Rag and Bone and Diesel here and there, but those I consider cheaper brands. Guess what, I buy them at US stores.

Have you ever been shopping in the US or are you just taking out you lower orifice on this issue like other issues. Suits, I don't think I have anything less than $4,500 purchased in the last 5 or 10 years. All of my shirts are custom tailored. pllleeaasse, my cheapest shirts are hand made Tom James that are custom fitted everytime I pick out a fabric. Trying to talk to me about clothes is like trying to argue with me about exotic cars. Banana Republic actually has some pretty cool clothes.

Dude, I am also married to a Russian that imports designer clothes to Russia as a side business. They are brand whores more than anyone I know. You are about clueless when it comes to . . . well just about everything.

I tell you what, you take 5 pictures of tags of your jeans and I will do the same and lets see who knows something about designer clothes.

Lawrence Chee:

Here are real jeans you can buy in US. I ain't a shiek, but those Dolce Moleskins costs about $3,500, the Roberto Cavalis about $1,200 and the D-Squared Camp Chippawa about $1,500. The other D-Squared are US rack, from a mall, that only sell for about $550 to $695.

The next picture are 3 pairs of crap jeans I bought in Hong Kong purporting to be Dolces and 2 pair of Armani. Candidly, I won't but anything Italian in Asia because high end Italian tends to be fake.

post-159996-0-97169000-1416877681_thumb.

post-159996-0-80326300-1416877696_thumb.

Edited by F430murci

U.S. goods and services trade with Saudi Arabia totalled $81 billion in 2012 (latest data available). Exports totalled $25 billion; Imports totalled $56 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade deficit with Saudi Arabia was $31 billion in 2012.

Saudi Arabia is currently our 10th largest goods trading partner with $71 billion in total (two ways) goods trade during 2013. Goods exports totalled $19 billion; Goods imports totalled $52 billion. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Saudi Arabia was $33 billion in 2013.

Sorry, US does not owe anyone anything. Nothing to put up or shut up about. How about everyone can kiss our white hinnies.

Wrong

Wrong

So you are just another entitlement person. Hey, here is an idea. Get jobs and take care of yourself. Nah, we owe no one nothing. If you think otherwise . . . well you can fill in that blank.

Lawrence Chee:

Here are real jeans you can buy in US. I ain't a shiek, but those Dolce Moleskins costs about $3,500, the Roberto Cavalis about $1,200 and the D-Squared Camp Chippawa about $1,500. The other D-Squared are US rack, from a mall, that only sell for about $550 to $695.

The next picture are 3 pairs of crap jeans I bought in Hong Kong purporting to be Dolces and 2 pair of Armani. Candidly, I won't but anything Italian in Asia because high end Italian tends to be fake.

You might own some expensive trousers but you've also shown you've got absolutely no class.

Lawrence Chee:

You might own some expensive trousers but you've also shown you've got absolutely no class.

I don't need class. Life is good!!!! Class is over rated. Hot babe, fast cars and fancy clothes are much better.

But, lol . . . at least don't cut out what I was responding to if trying to bash me. Have a dill weed talking about brands I buy which he has no clue about to try and make some ridiculous point. At least I put up or shut up.

Edited by F430murci

As I've said, most of the high end Arab shoppers are western educated and western dressed.

The only reason there might be fewer in the US is that it's further to travel.

It's nothing to do with language, education or distance. Talking to my Moslem friends they say they and their co-religionists feel increasingly uncomfortable in certain western countries and now prefer to go to Moslem rather than kafir countries. It's partly because of a distaste for recent military intervention in Moslem countries and partly because of a rise in Islamic fundamentalism.

And with that attitude, long may they stay in the Muslim Countries.

And to be honest, as a kafir, if I want to go on a shopping spree I'll go to a kafir country, rather than to a Moslem one where I'm despised as a non-religionist. No surprise there, really.

please list the Muslim countries you visited where you were despised coffee1.gif

please list the Muslim countries you visited where you were despised coffee1.gif

Malaysia, Indonesia, Kuwait, parts of India, Morocco, Jordan, Egypt.

Hatred of kafirs is a fundamental pillar of Mohammed's teachings. Pretty much all that varies is the openness with which it's expressed.

Wrong

So you are just another entitlement person. Hey, here is an idea. Get jobs and take care of yourself. Nah, we owe no one nothing. If you think otherwise . . . well you can fill in that blank.

wrong again