PM Prayut asks public not to assume all police to be crooked

webfact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come off it guys. 8 years in Thailand and for various reasons (mostly traffic minor offences) I only saw nice cops. Lucky me - never had to go to the top.

Same goes for Customs.

I reckon - want honest cops - pay them honest wages!

Come off it guys. 8 years in Thailand and for various reasons (mostly traffic minor offences) I only saw nice cops. Lucky me - never had to go to the top. Same goes for Customs. I reckon - want honest cops - pay them honest wages!

Raising wages would only increase the purchase price for positions and promotions.

Let's take the example of a Major, spotless records, many qualifications, promoted by merit (a few real professionals needed to do the job...), going through the tests to become Lt. Col., finishes in the front part of the quota, 1 year, 2nd year, 3rd, 4th, but doesn't get promoted, because he doesn't want to pay for it (and doesn't have the means, because honest), gets demotivated, skips two years, then does it again, fails the quota (narrowly) for the first time, but gets promoted, thanks to the 'financial contribution' from an in-law!

Am I 'off-topic', because this was in the Army? What I mean is: it is to be hoped the Military will 'not forget' to sweep their own stable clean(er)...

Am I a dreamer?

We know, a few, honest Police Officers, but it are only a few, Khun PM, they're the ones getting the dirty jobs, the bad shifts, bullied, sometimes threatened, or even worse, by the rotten lot, they know they won't be promoted, even with their added qualifications (only the odd occasion, because asked to transfer to some difficult spot, or by seniority because of a gap in the chain of command)!

So, IMHO, when the PM, seriously, wants to 'facelift' the RTP (why is it called: 'a new facelift', when there were any before, for sure they weren't, at all, successfull...), and succeeds in it(!?), he will end up with tens of thousands of vacant positions, it'd be easy for him to fill in, getting the lists of Officers not promoted over the years while their tests gave them a place within the quotas, and listings of Officers not having been promoted for a looong time, while having spotless records... And as it seems possible nowadays for a Sen. Sgt. Maj. (R.I.P.) to become a Lt. Gen. because of 'sitting in the wrong chopper at the wrong time', ranks should not be a problem either.

Has anybody ever met a police officer that isnt a crook?

There was one in Bang Na who pulled me over doing 150 kph in the right-hand land, he got angry, just shouted at me telling me that bikes had to stay in the left lane, then told me to go. Didn't ask for a licence or money.

I guess he should be made Police Chief

We have our own opinions on the RTP, but what is more important is the Thai view and pretty much every Thai person i have spoken to is convinced that the RTP is 100 % corrupt. Even going so far as to say "How to stop crime in Thailand overnight - arrest everyone in a Brown uniform"

Edited by In Search of Space

This is a truly sensational story which, if the allegations are made to stick, confirms what most Thais and foreigners have long suspected - that the notorious culture of corruption everybody talks about is a top-down phenomenon. When the boss is bent, are his or her underlings likely to be otherwise?

Apart from the apparent magnitude of the criminality unearthed in these investigations, one of the most shocking claims is that the CIB chief was doing business with a crook funding insurgency in the south - the "forgotten war" which has killed over 6,000 Thais in the last decade, including many police as well as military personnel.

If this proves to be true, it means some of Thailand's top cops have been living high on the hog on the proceeds of the worst kind of blood money and deserve the harshest retribution.

In the light of these latest revelations, the junta clearly needs to re-prioritise its strategy for clamping down on crime across the Kingdom to ensure effort is concentrated where it will yield the greatest gains..

Until now, the focus has been mainly on small fry - illegal dirt-farmers in national parks and unlawful vendors on public beaches. Nice PR for the generals, but arguably of minimal benefit to the nation as a whole.

More resource needs to be directed towards catching the criminal big fish - not least the bloated boss sharks gorging undetected in the murky pond of Thai institutions and public service. Only when they have been brought to the net and punished will justice be seen to be done.

Surely not all but just a tiny fraction of 99.99% are crooks & mafias.

I wouldn't say so. It is a, very, weird thing to watch how 'proud Thai men' can become real 'poodles' when, any kind of 'higher' authority waves a stick in front of them, no doubt it is a, most important, part of the Thai des-education system, and the RTP is an even worse place for it than the Military.

That considering, I could imagine (I can't know for sure) that many, maybe even a majority, of Thai Police Officers don't have 'a black heart', like Thais say, they do what they're told to, of course they participate in the gathering of corruption money, and, also, get a share of it (ensuring the 'omerta' is kept), but I'd think there is a possible 'redemption' for them, assuming, first of all, the corruption would be eradicated from the top down.

There should be a mega-hike of the Officers' wages (double or more), on one side, on the other side, the RTP should come under Military rules, meaning the Military Courts would deal with corruption/delicts/crimes inside the RTP, and no more 'slaps on the wrist' or inactive posts: assets seized, jail with no bail, no reduction of pain when ruled guilty, and then assets empounded, huge fine, dishonourable discharge, loss of benefits, and loss of citizens' rights; and, not to forget: reversed charge of proof for corruption (this actually for all Thais in all Courts): the suspect having to prove his innocence.

Ole PM knows the score really (they're all on the take), he's just going all default to save the country some face.

It isn't only a question of saving face but the real impossibility of (1) sacking a countries entire police force and (2) finding a sufficient number of trained honest people to replace them.

However corrupt the the police force maybe, they are still vital in maintaining everyday law throughout the country - it may get applied badly because of corruption but to leave the country without law enforcement would lead to something even worse. There is a strategy that could be applied over time to eliminate corruption to a large extent

1) Vigourously pursue cases against high ranking police officials involved in major crime (such as the current example) If 80% of the top officials were dealt with the message would soon get across and the force would still be intact on the ground

2) Enforcement action against the most serious infringements by middle ranking officers but with lesser disciplinary action against those involved in more minor corruption - the ones who simply followed the pack - providing they confess their involvement honestly and accept a probationary period of not less than 5 years

3) An amnesty for all non-ranking police officers providing they confess, undertake retraining and accept a probationary period. This however should not extend to those who have committed violent acts or murder.

4) Restructure police pay to a level where absolute honesty can be demanded as a condition of employment

5) Establish a new charter of responsibilities and a scale of severe custodial sentences for any FUTURE violations no matter how small. Police would not accept 1000 baht bribes if they knew they seriously risked 10 years in jail for doing so

6) Establish an independent commission with powers to investigate any public complaints against the police. Police officers themselves should have access in situations where they come under pressure from local politicians or "mafia".

People who joined the police force joined an organisation where they faced little choice about how they behaved because the very senior people are in on the game - it was in their interest to corrupt young new recruits which is why I am suggesting that the bulk are given the opportunity to work under a corruption free regime.

Corruption is endemic in all walks of life to the extent that you could not hope to punish all the guilty - You have to change the top tier and then change the ways of the others - it is the only practical way

No one knows exactly how many honest policemen out there.

Maybe the leader should install an independent intelligence unit,
where the people can anonymously report unusual wealth of state officials.
I guess a call center with 100 telephone operators would be working well for years.

The confiscated assets can then be used for social purposes and to build new prisons.

At long last somebody actually realises that most of Thailands root causes of corruption are linked with the BIB.

For many years now, Foreign press has called the RTP an organised crime syndicate, not too dis-similar to the Mafia.

Now you have woken up from your dream word, its time to smell the coffee, and start to sort out this problem for good

Had to laugh at the title to this posting...does anyone know a truly non-corrupt policeman...?

People have believed in Big foot and Lock -Ness monsters and alien Visitations , ghosts and witches , so why not this?

Just because i may not have proof personally , does not mean many might exist.

I am sure they do - well hope so.

Sure bars pay police Key Money and Pole Joints and other activities of areas of vice.

And sure police may admit their force has in the past taken bribes.

But name one Police force that is above reproach?

I think some Police are not crooked.

I have heard stories about a policeman running after a westerner who dropped their fat juicy wallet and returning it.

And in another a policeman stopping traffic to help a heavily pregnant woman across a busy road and refusing a 100 baht tip.

These are to some mere made up stories

But i like to think they are true.

Many Thai police are decent and honest and helpful people .

And don't deserve often the stigma placed on them

Edited by Fred Flinstone
  • Like 1

I didn't know the General was also a stand up comedian.

Watch what happens to the crooks ... they'll all walk without penalty or at worst be given a couple of years inside only to come out and enjoy the fruits of their corrupt activities.

Talking of crime ... isn't a coup an act of treason?

No a coup against a criminal and harmful government is a good deed not an act of treason

Remember the coup against French royalty in 1789?

or the Boston tea party?

Edited by sweatalot