Condos as an investment proposition?

Saan

I hope that people who have bought a condo as an investment may help me.

I want to know whether it is better to buy a smaller unit very close in or to move out a little, say near Nong Hoi or the railway station, and get a larger unit at about the same price. Which option would be the better rental proposition?

I'd also be grateful to hear what other facilities, such as a swimming pool, make a property more attractive for rental and do these units attract a higher rental?

Hello Saan

There are some good deals out there but more bad ones...you have to do your homework..bought 8 studios two years ago for 260k each spent 260k renovating now can sell for 680k.

Would advise talking to a buying agent who works for you and not seller...best in CM seem to be "buyinchiangmai".

• Like 2

Location is the most important.
I recommend Nimmanhemin area as it is constantly growing and improving with modern shops and restaurant. You will always find tenants to live there. Another option is near Maya or Central Festival.

My suggestion is to buy cheap studios in old buildings and spend some money to renovate it. New condos are too expensive.

You should think about minimum 10% yearly return.

For example:

I have bought studio room near Nimmanhemin 4 months ago for 500,000 baht in old building. Spent 200,000 baht for total renovation and furniture. I am renting this out for 7000 baht per month now, which gives me about 11% yearly return.

Of course if you get a good deal you can do better than 10%.

• Like 2

I recommend Nimmanhemin area as it is constantly growing and improving with modern shops and restaurant. You will always find tenants to live there. Another option is near Maya or Central Festival.

My suggestion is to buy cheap studios in old buildings and spend some money to renovate it. New condos are too expensive.

For example:

I have bought studio room near Nimmanhemin 4 months ago for 500,000 baht in old building. Spent 200,000 baht for total renovation and furniture. I am renting this out for 7000 baht per month now, which gives me about 11% yearly return.

Buy a unit for 500,000 spend 200,000 and do it up nicely.

If you can get 7,000 a month in about 9 years you've got your money back.

For example:

"I am renting this out for 7000 baht per month now, which gives me about 11% yearly return."

11% assuming it stays rented, and you don't get the tenant from h*ll who trashes the place. The risk of bad tenants and long periods of vacancy are part of the risk assessment.

• Like 1

Hello Saan

There are some good deals out there but more bad ones...you have to do your homework..bought 8 studios two years ago for 260k each spent 260k renovating now can sell for 680k.

Would advise talking to a buying agent who works for you and not seller...best in CM seem to be "buyinchiangmai".

I thought the principals of Buyinchiangmai were associated with a large Chiang Mai real estate company, at least they were awhile ago.

it seems property prices seem to stay pretty static in cnx,of course as some one mentioned 5years ago the exchange rates were in farangs favour, only in favour now if you sell.

5 years ago the UKP/bht exchange rate was the same as it is now.

you were properly right mate it was nearly 8/9years ago when i bought, and i was talking about time flies doesnt it.
  • Like 1

Location, as always, is all important. Go for highly sort after areas with a limited amount of space. I bought a new unit at the Punna on Nimmanhaemin Soi 6 when it was being built roughly 5 years ago for 1.5 million baht. I sold it just over a year ago for 2.9 million.

"I am renting this out for 7000 baht per month now, which gives me about 11% yearly return."

11% assuming it stays rented, and you don't get the tenant from h*ll who trashes the place. The risk of bad tenants and long periods of vacancy are part of the risk assessment.

That's right. But nicely renovated and furnished condo, with kitchen and separated bedroom, for 7000 baht per month, is not waiting for tenant long in Nimman area. I was waiting only 4 days to have it occupied from the moment when I posted ad.

The risk is always, and if you are afraid or risk, you should stay away of any business.

there is a cost associated with the risk, given that we can have a Thai killing fields on our hands in a couple years. And I consider this pretty much a 'jackpot' scenario, again assuming things keep up.

Are you meaning literal killing fields as in the mass graves in Cambodia? Strange thing to come up with when talking about real estate.. I mean if you are going down the disaster path I would think there are a million other scenarios which would happen before killing fields such as earth quakes. If you did have an apartment and a killing field was discovered a few kms away would it really make a difference? I must be missing something.

As far as it not being a good investment, that is yet to be seen, the truth is no one knows the future, with growing chinese middle class and cheap property prices in Chiang Mai, it could be a great time to get in.

I dont subscibe to the because it thailand its not a good investment, thats just craziness. Investment is a risk anywhere, just ask the people who lost their life savings and homes investing in property in the USA in 2008. If you had invested in property in both thailand and usa in 2005, I dare say your return would be better in thailand, ofcourse depends on location, house, etc.. my point being no one knows the future, what is considered strong and safe today could have a financial crises in a year, and what is considered risky and bad value, could be worth double what it is in 5 years.. nature of the game.

I read recently (sorry I can't remember where) that the loop hole whereby Farangs can buy a condo is to be closed. The market seems to be drying out in Bangkok at least, the times when you could buy a condo, rent it for 7 years and then sell it for double are gone.

I read recently (sorry I can't remember where) that the loop hole whereby Farangs can buy a condo is to be closed. The market seems to be drying out in Bangkok at least, the times when you could buy a condo, rent it for 7 years and then sell it for double are gone.

Doubtful.