Farang Extras Wanted!

Some people on this forum never cease to amaze me. The guy has offered 1500baht a day, non negotiable. Equiv to about 10 days work for a Thai. Take it or leave it. Up to you but don't start making wise cracks.

Personally, i'd do it for free if i was there. I've never been in a Nicolas Cage movie before, have you ?

OldAsiaHand, gave some advise and he too was jumped on. Amazing :D

Im with you guys on this one, it really is annoying and ive seen a huge decline on this site in the last few months.

The amount of times you see people offering advice or sharing basic facts on Thailand, only to be jumped on by some jerk who has probably never even been to Thailand !

Personally I would ban them all ! Replies such as "rubbish".... "thats bull#hit"... etc should simply be removed ! I think the majority of these comments are from posters who have been here a very short time or just been on holiday a few times. I remember when I first got here and within a month I knew it all ! It took me months or even years to realise that really I knew nothing, only then do you actually start to really learn and be able to offer advice which is real. This im sure the other long termers on here would agree with.

Best thing to do guys is simply not offer the advice in the 1st place, if you really wish to and you think you can help then PM is the best way.

Off topic yes but so true, and so annoying !! :o

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A discussion forum is a discussion forum and reality is often more complex than one person's own experiences will be able to assess. :D

Trolls and compulsive liars are also able to use the Internet... so in most cases, double and triple check your facts, folks. And when you disagree with people, you will sound a lot more credible if you can do so with factual evidence and without being abusive. :o

Some people on this forum never cease to amaze me. The guy has offered 1500baht a day, non negotiable. Equiv to about 10 days work for a Thai. Take it or leave it. Up to you but don't start making wise cracks.

Personally, i'd do it for free if i was there. I've never been in a Nicolas Cage movie before, have you ?

OldAsiaHand, gave some advise and he too was jumped on. Amazing :o

Thanks, couldn't have put it better myself!!!!!!!!!! And just for reference Cage is puthing his own money into it!!!!! He does at least 1 movie a year with an "unknown" just to support the industry!!!

this is not an offer from me personally, I thought some of the members here would be interested!! Give you something to tell the folks back home or just pocket the extra cash, but it seems to have escalated into a full scale dedate about work permits and how much you think you should be paid for standing around doing nothing!!!!!

If you want 100 dollars a day with expenses and a credit in the movie, GO TO HOLLYWOOD of become a minor star in your own right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by andyadam

Oh brother, you're working as an extra, and you think the production company owes you a living. Food, clothing, travel, overtime...you got an allowance as a child, and you're still looking for a handout.

Oh Brother, Oh Brother where art thou!

Well what i'm getting at the day rate money of 1500 isn't really 1500 baht is it!? :o Your traveling there and back under your own steam from wherever you're staying so its not looking for a handout its getting whats due from a company.

Or maybe you'd rather accept it work for sub-1000 baht? Or for free???

Edited by JimsKnight

OldAsiaHand, gave some advise and he too was jumped on. Amazing :D

Im with you guys on this one, it really is annoying and ive seen a huge decline on this site in the last few months.

The amount of times you see people offering advice or sharing basic facts on Thailand, only to be jumped on by some jerk who has probably never even been to Thailand !

Personally I would ban them all ! Replies such as "rubbish".... "thats bull#hit"... etc should simply be removed ! I think the majority of these comments are from posters who have been here a very short time or just been on holiday a few times. I remember when I first got here and within a month I knew it all ! It took me months or even years to realise that really I knew nothing, only then do you actually start to really learn and be able to offer advice which is real. This im sure the other long termers on here would agree with.

Best thing to do guys is simply not offer the advice in the 1st place, if you really wish to and you think you can help then PM is the best way.

Off topic yes but so true, and so annoying !! :o

Rubbish. :D

And just for reference Cage is puthing his own money into it!!!!! He does at least 1 movie a year with an "unknown" just to support the industry!!!

Nicolas Cage is supporting the industry with salaries of 1500 baht per day? That's pretty much 40 USD per day. People make more money sitting around on the street all day and holding up a plastic cup; why would anyone want to stand around a movie set being an "unknown" if they could easily be making more money doing something else?

Maybe that's a lucrative offer for many thais who earn 150 USD per month, but surely not for any foreigners living in Thailand. So really, while i see your good will in the offer, its just the wrong thing in the wrong place, in my opinion.

As Andyadam has stated, he is just the messenger. And the offer is reasonably clear:

You get paid 1500 baht per day

There is no work permit

The work is illegal

You may have to hide when immigration officers visit the location

You risk being arrested, deported and blacklisted

Couldn't really be much clearer, could it?

Simon

Does that mean you think I made up my comment that Thai immigration has, in the past, checked sets?

Sometimes I don't know why people bother offering information on this forum. You tell people about your experience for whatever use it may be to them and there's always some jerk saying you're wrong--that you didn't actually have the experience you say you did.

It seems to happen over and over. There was a time once before on this forum that I ventured a comment about meeting someone and several people immediately chimed in saying that simply didn't believe me, that I had never met the guy and just made it up. There was another time I added a story of my experience to a thread on FedEx that drew a response from somebody saying that it never happened and I had made that up as well.

Good Lord.

I don't believe you - you're making that up....

:o:D

As Andyadam has stated, he is just the messenger. And the offer is reasonably clear:

There is no work permit

The work is illegal

Simon

You just made that offer sound a whole lot more attractive, i may give it another thought. :o

Hi,

Has anyone actualy took this job up?

After receiving contact details I gave em a call and they said that an aganecy deals with it and not them????

They never told me which agency though...makes you wonder if they want people or not

Hmmmm

:o

Any help appreciated cheers

Dannii

saw mr. cage last night , at the shoot for this film on soi cowboy.

he is shorter than i thought , and older looking too with long hair dyed jet black.

a huge film crew with what seemed like hundreds of people proudly wearing "bangkok dangerous" laminates and yelling into walkie talkies in a manner that would make stock market traders look laid back had invaded the street along with bright spotlights , computers and all manner of film crew type paraphernalia.

harried lackeys combed mr.cages hair , powdered his nose and ensured that his film set chair was never too far away from his pampered butt so that it could be rested between takes.

pity the poor extras , in yesterdays scene , they were shoppers in a night market , walking back and forth along the set under shouted orders orders from a fearfully bossy thai woman.

it was very crowded there , with film crew and the usual cowboy crowd mingling together on the set , which was a 25yard stretch of patpong style night market erected down the middle of the street.

mr. cage sends his best wishes to all thai visa posters , and says that as soon as funding for "carry on thai visa" has been finalised , shooting will begin in doncaster.

Edited by taxexile

There is no work permit

The work is illegal

Simon

I think the people who handle the hiring are the same ones who hire farang English teachers. The details are somewhat similiar.

mr. cage sends his best wishes to all thai visa posters , and says that as soon as funding for "carry on thai visa" has been finalised , shooting will begin in doncaster.

[\quote]

Excellent news! As a Brit, I won't need a work permit then??? Bring on the chip butties and savaloys....

Simon

saw mr. cage last night , at the shoot for this film on soi cowboy.

he is shorter than i thought , and older looking too with long hair dyed jet black.

a huge film crew with what seemed like hundreds of people proudly wearing "bangkok dangerous" laminates and yelling into walkie talkies in a manner that would make stock market traders look laid back had invaded the street along with bright spotlights , computers and all manner of film crew type paraphernalia.

harried lackeys combed mr.cages hair , powdered his nose and ensured that his film set chair was never too far away from his pampered butt so that it could be rested between takes.

pity the poor extras , in yesterdays scene , they were shoppers in a night market , walking back and forth along the set under shouted orders orders from a fearfully bossy thai woman.

it was very crowded there , with film crew and the usual cowboy crowd mingling together on the set , which was a 25yard stretch of patpong style night market erected down the middle of the street.

is this true or ... :o

yes , he was filming in soi cowboy the other night , and getting the "star" treatment from the film crew , the whole thing was interesting to watch.

i have always wondered when films are reported to have cost a hun dred zillion dollars to make just how could that be , but judging by the number of people involved and the amount of equipment necessary just to shoot what couldnt have been more than 30 seconds of actual film on location , then those large amounts of expense make some sense.

Everyone should have a go at being a movie extra. I got a credit in the movie I did a couple of years ago - which tanked at the box office.

There's a sub-culture of movie actors in Bangkok, nice guys, but they make English teachers look like Roman Abramovitch. Many can be found in the Cathouse during happy hour.

Papa Laz.

Thanks for all the PM's guys and gals but I don't get enough time to check everyday now as you can imagine as I am one on the "hundreds of film crew" being very busy now Mr. Cage is about!!!!!!

The production company is Living Fims, give them a shout if you need the contact info (it is on their website!!)

Living Films

Thanks for all the PM's guys and gals but I don't get enough time to check everyday now as you can imagine as I am one on the "hundreds of film crew" being very busy now Mr. Cage is about!!!!!!

The production company is Living Fims, give them a shout if you need the contact info (it is on their website!!)

Living Films

I e-mailed them, but no reply... :D

Ah well... maybe they didnt want me showing the main star up :o

as I am one on the "hundreds of film crew" being very busy now Mr. Cage is about!!!!!!

i would also say that from what i saw the other night , the organisation of it all was superb , and the way the crew dealt with all those in the street who were not involved in the making of the film and unintenionally getting in the way was worthy of praise.

There is no work permit

The work is illegal

Simon

I think the people who handle the hiring are the same ones who hire farang English teachers. The details are somewhat similiar.

:o:D

Hysterics from a teacher who knows all too well,

TT

Edited by toptuan

Urban Legend? :o

Guardian

Does that mean you think I made up my comment that Thai immigration has, in the past, checked sets?

Sometimes I don't know why people bother offering information on this forum. You tell people about your experience for whatever use it may be to them and there's always some jerk saying you're wrong--that you didn't actually have the experience you say you did.

It seems to happen over and over. There was a time once before on this forum that I ventured a comment about meeting someone and several people immediately chimed in saying that simply didn't believe me, that I had never met the guy and just made it up. There was another time I added a story of my experience to a thread on FedEx that drew a response from somebody saying that it never happened and I had made that up as well.

Good Lord.

There is a thread running in general topics about this very type of thing.

There is no work permit

The work is illegal

Simon

Sounds similar to the deal those poor Peruvian drug mules were offered:

You get paid $3000 US per trip

There is no work permit

The work is illegal

You will have to find your own way thru the immigration officers at the airport

*You risk life in jail or the death sentence if caught with the drugs.

''You get paid 1500 baht per day

There is no work permit

The work is illegal

You risk being arrested, deported and blacklisted''

Where do you guys get your information from???

You actually think that immigration would raid a hollywood movie set....hmmm I think not