Farang Extras Wanted!

We need some farang extras for a production shooting all over Bangkok.

The rate is 1500 baht a day (sorry guys, not negotiable!!!) money for old rope really.

PM me for the cating department email address.

Shooting starts on 12th August. It is a hollywood remake of "Bangkok Dangerous"

I am only the messenger for this, I have no say in who works and who doesn't, that is down to the casting director!!!!! And please I will send you the contact details but can't answer any questions about the movie due to lack of knowlege!!!!!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rate is 1500 baht a day (sorry guys, not negotiable!!!) money for old rope really.

I am only the messenger for this, I have no say in who works and who doesn't, that is down to the casting director!!!!! And please I will send you the contact details but can't answer any questions about the movie due to lack of knowlege!!!!!!!

Hi, sounds good to me, not interested in the money but sounds like something one should include in the list of things to do.....

PM me if your serious.... :o

I think that Work Permits may not be needed for certain work like modelling and acting if you are farang as these are jobs that Thais cannot do. I cannot remember where I heard this but I believe it to be true with regard to modelling although not sure about acting.

I think that Work Permits may not be needed for certain work like modelling and acting if you are farang as these are jobs that Thais cannot do. I cannot remember where I heard this but I believe it to be true with regard to modelling although not sure about acting.

:o:D:D

Judging by the soap opera's each evening. I think you may be correct.

I belive alien entertainers are exempt from needing work permits.50 cent sure didn't have one.Nor did Tiger Woods when he played in the Johnny a few years back.

Working in a movie requires a work permit. Trust me. Even if you already have one, that's no help. You need a specific work permit for the specific film and the specific location. That said, it's standard procedure for foreign production companies to make the necessary arrangements. If these guys don't, tell 'em to forget it. Immigration used to sweep movie sets routinely.

er. no, you CAN get a work permit short term for work like modelling and acting because as a foreigner you may be able to do a job that Thais cannot do (due to look, accent, etc).

Definitely the case with modelling.

Definitely the case with acting.

Normally agency or producer will take care of it; but reality is most talent works without a work permit.

So....no recourse when you get rounded up and deported/fined/cheated out of money. But odds of that are lower than Korea, Hong Kong etc. But it does happen.

As for acting in soap operas; judging from the drivel on UBC as well particularly American soap operas and some of the sit coms, I would argue that most TV worldwide doesn't require any skill in acting to get on TV. Include American Idol, big brother and all the other reality TV shows, and you could say, most TV these days requires nil talent. Thailand being no exception.

Expand to include anything featuring Paris Hilton and you could say 'complete lack of talent with proven track record of sexual encounters with past boyfriends preferred'.

Of course, this doesn't include such classics as Family guy.

Working in a movie requires a work permit. Trust me. Even if you already have one, that's no help. You need a specific work permit for the specific film and the specific location. That said, it's standard procedure for foreign production companies to make the necessary arrangements. If these guys don't, tell 'em to forget it. Immigration used to sweep movie sets routinely.

Urban Legend? :o

Guardian

Guardian

Does that mean you think I made up my comment that Thai immigration has, in the past, checked sets?

Sometimes I don't know why people bother offering information on this forum. You tell people about your experience for whatever use it may be to them and there's always some jerk saying you're wrong--that you didn't actually have the experience you say you did.

It seems to happen over and over. There was a time once before on this forum that I ventured a comment about meeting someone and several people immediately chimed in saying that simply didn't believe me, that I had never met the guy and just made it up. There was another time I added a story of my experience to a thread on FedEx that drew a response from somebody saying that it never happened and I had made that up as well.

Good Lord.

Edited by OldAsiaHand

Guardian

Does that mean you think I made up my comment that Thai immigration has, in the past, checked sets?

Sometimes I don't know why people bother offering information on this forum. You tell people about your experience for whatever use it may be to them and there's always some jerk saying you're wrong--that you didn't actually have the experience you say you did.

It seems to happen over and over. There was a time once before on this forum that I ventured a comment about meeting someone and several people immediately chimed in saying that simply didn't believe me, that I had never met the guy and just made it up. There was another time I added a story of my experience to a thread on FedEx that drew a response from somebody saying that it never happened and I had made that up as well.

Good Lord.

I think the general rule with forums like this, if harmony is to ensue, is to identify the common denominator of individual who posts on the forum and then dont mention anything outside their realm of life experience ie:money you have, people you know, experinces you've had, personal achievments etc....

Ok can we put this to bed now please!!!!!

All the crew have work permits, extras won't be issued work permits and I doubt the MOL would bother doing anything about it, Thailand are trying to build up the film industry not kill it.

Hollywood money is good for the Thai economy and they would like to keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd confirm what oldAsiaHand has said.

I had a small part in a movie filmed in Krabi about five years ago now. The extras were kept out of view when the police made their daily work permit check.

Cut to the chase man, how long is the contract for? 2 days? 2 weeks? 2 Months?

Hmmm...1500 baht per day...that works out to around $5/hour for an 8 hour day. Thats less than minimum wage in the USA.

Nice to know Hollywood does what it can to get around US Labor laws. I suppose if they were hiring Thai people it would be ok.

I wonder if they are paying Nicolas Cage any less because he is working in Thailand.

Hey, do you think he will be playing a disgruntled English teacher living in a small run down apartment in Bangkok.

Oh well, maybe I'm just sore cuz I can't be a Hollywood x-tra because I'm in Chiang Mai.

Some people on this forum never cease to amaze me. The guy has offered 1500baht a day, non negotiable. Equiv to about 10 days work for a Thai. Take it or leave it. Up to you but don't start making wise cracks.

Personally, i'd do it for free if i was there. I've never been in a Nicolas Cage movie before, have you ?

OldAsiaHand, gave some advise and he too was jumped on. Amazing :o

Some people on this forum never cease to amaze me. The guy has offered 1500baht a day, non negotiable. Equiv to about 10 days work for a Thai. Take it or leave it. Up to you but don't start making wise cracks.
Um 10 days work for a Thai = 1500? This isn't Laos. That is 150 a day, which is less than the legal minimum wage which is something like 180 baht day in Bangkok.

Though I do agree the movie producers will probably be able to find foreigners to work for 1500baht a day.

Um 10 days work for a Thai = 1500? This isn't Laos. That is 150 a day, which is less than the legal minimum wage which is something like 180 baht day in Bangkok.

Though I do agree the movie producers will probably be able to find foreigners to work for 1500baht a day.

The desperate english teachers may slinkily crawl out of the school gate to play at extras however....

I'll also throw in that theres no mention of expenses being paid for travelling to and from the film set! Wherever that may be?

So that 1500 baht will probably look more like 1200 baht (If off the skytrain/subway route). Is food provided? If not call then call it a more leaner 1000 baht a day!

i did this in cambodia a year or so ago. they, a french company, paid us, farangs/barangs, $40 per day with transportation and lunch. they paid the local khmers $5 per day, unless they also brought their own oxcart for color. that got an extra $5. all in all a worthwhile experience.

I would think that the reason for doing this is for a little change of pace/ new experience, I mean what are the true benefits? If you are living in Thailand and scrounging for away to make some extra cash then life must be hard. hel_l what do people think that becoming an extra in a movie is a means of becoming a super star or to be discovered, it would be easier hanging off of a pole.

I would think that the reason for doing this is for a little change of pace/ new experience, I mean what are the true benefits? If you are living in Thailand and scrounging for away to make some extra cash then life must be hard. hel_l what do people think that becoming an extra in a movie is a means of becoming a super star or to be discovered, it would be easier hanging off of a pole.

Each to their own. :o

er. no, you CAN get a work permit short term for work like modelling and acting because as a foreigner you may be able to do a job that Thais cannot do (due to look, accent, etc).

Normally agency or producer will take care of it; but reality is most talent works without a work permit.

So....no recourse when you get rounded up and deported/fined/cheated out of money. But odds of that are lower than Korea, Hong Kong etc. But it does happen.

As for acting in soap operas; judging from the drivel on UBC as well particularly American soap operas and some of the sit coms, I would argue that most TV worldwide doesn't require any skill in acting to get on TV. Include American Idol, big brother and all the other reality TV shows, and you could say, most TV these days requires nil talent. Thailand being no exception.

Expand to include anything featuring Paris Hilton and you could say 'complete lack of talent with proven track record of sexual encounters with past boyfriends preferred'.

Sure you can but when you are being paid only 1,500 baht is it worth the hassle and expense in getting a work permit ?

Sure you can but when you are being paid only 1,500 baht is it worth the hassle and expense in getting a work permit ?

That all depends on whether you get away with it - or not. Personally I couldn't put myself in the position I was in 5 years ago when I had a small 'bit' part in movie here; I've now got a family to think about. Fine If you don't mind being locked up and then eventually deported.