Former Bangkok metropolitan police officer convicted to life for drugs trafficking

webfact

Former metropolitan police officer convicted to life for drugs trafficking

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court has upheld the Appeals Court’s life imprisonment handed down to a former deputy superintendent of metropolitan police convicted of drugs trafficking.

The case dated back to March 14, 1999 when the defendant, then Pol Lt-Col Apivuth Ngarmsombat, deputy superintendent attacked to Metropolitan Police Bureau, was arrested together with more than one million methamphetamine pills. Another accomplice managed to escape.

Apivuth was eventually stripped of his police rank as he went to trial. The Criminal Court sentenced him to death but he appealed against the sentence which was commuted to life imprisonment by the Appeals Court due to his useful confession.

Apivuth appealed to the Supreme Court which upheld the life jailterm of the Appeals Court.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/former-metropolitan-police-officer-convicted-life-drugs-trafficking

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-27

For sure there needs to be something done to speed up the court process when a case dating back to 1999 has only just come to a conclusion.

Considering that in some cases the accused may have been on bail for the whole time that makes it even more imperative that cases are completed through from the first charges being laid to the end of the appeal process in a short time.

Lets hope this is addressed in the reform process.

• Like 1

I am glad to se that this officer got his dues, and I think the PM and the government is

doing a good job of slowly getting the offenders charged and in jail.

The police chief, and the other 6 or so getting their charges, seem like a lot more

people being found out and charged than ever were when Thailand was ran

by the previous government. Of course this is only my opinion.

Stargeezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889

Normally you would think that a former police officer would expect to be a target of reprisal once sent to prison but here in Thailand I think that former police officers will soon make up a large contingent of the prison population. whistling.gif

One can only hope. So far, as far as I know, he is the first one to actually be convicted. And this was in the courts for 15 years. What about the recent arrests? Meanwhile the CIB creeps are out on bail. So, lets see how serious the new sheriff is, when it comes to the rich, the powerful, the well connected, and the elite. No evidence has been shown so far, of any real follow up on his words. We are interested in deeds, not words.

• Like 1