Thai politics: How beneficial to us is the railway deal with China?

webfact

The SRT is poorly run. Who in Thailand is capable of running a modern railway? That is probably a detial in the contract and would allow the Chinese greater control should Thailand not be able to fulfill its operational duties.

I think a shoestring budget is probably more a factor than competence in this regard. I know a good few railwaymen who honestly want to deliver a service to be proud of, but are constantly ordered to make do with shoddy / outright dangerous equipment. Give the staff a bit of a break, here. Many are doing their best under difficult circumstances.

You may well be right, perhaps some people have not been giving them the tools to do the job and thats not right, but I dont want to be on that train that has some poor track maintainence done on it. The standard of workmanship has to improve as to does the items used to provide a good and safe infrastructure.

The SRT is poorly run. Who in Thailand is capable of running a modern railway? That is probably a detial in the contract and would allow the Chinese greater control should Thailand not be able to fulfill its operational duties.

I think a shoestring budget is probably more a factor than competence in this regard. I know a good few railwaymen who honestly want to deliver a service to be proud of, but are constantly ordered to make do with shoddy / outright dangerous equipment. Give the staff a bit of a break, here. Many are doing their best under difficult circumstances.

You may well be right, perhaps some people have not been giving them the tools to do the job and thats not right, but I dont want to be on that train that has some poor track maintainence done on it. The standard of workmanship has to improve as to does the items used to provide a good and safe infrastructure.

The SRT employees do not want to be on that train either, bear in mind. They don't want to die any more than you or I...

I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around this who owns the railway or builds it as being so important. Please help me with this.What I see is opportunity for movement of goods and trade. Who cares who builds it or pays for it.Once its there a whole new world of trade opens up. If only one shipping line goes somewhere you wish to ship too and they will do it for you do you care who built the ship?. .Transportation is needed for trade. If things donot move there is no trade.If things move fast perhaps the trading goes faster,and there is more of it. China is aggressive,nothing wrong with that. But they arenot stupid. They know they cannot physically takeover Thailand, but trade agreements can be put in place that will serve them very well.And Thailand is prime real estate for trade center,to the world. They could form a very good mutual agreement.

Where is Laos in the deal? Seems not important, not a word about their input.

I would imagine that Laos have already done their deal with China. They wouldn't be involved in the Thai portion. They're just waiting for the Thai portion to get underway before they start on theirs.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around this who owns the railway or builds it as being so important. Please help me with this.What I see is opportunity for movement of goods and trade. Who cares who builds it or pays for it.Once its there a whole new world of trade opens up. If only one shipping line goes somewhere you wish to ship too and they will do it for you do you care who built the ship?. .Transportation is needed for trade. If things donot move there is no trade.If things move fast perhaps the trading goes faster,and there is more of it. China is aggressive,nothing wrong with that. But they arenot stupid. They know they cannot physically takeover Thailand, but trade agreements can be put in place that will serve them very well.And Thailand is prime real estate for trade center,to the world. They could form a very good mutual agreement.

I'd suggest looking at the project from Thailand's economic perspective. Currently, the Thai economy is somewhat stagnant and needs an IMMEDIATE government economic stimulus to drive the econmic expansion. Thailand gets no benefit of stimulus with the Chinese financing the rail project. Thailand becomes a passive debtor while the Chinese gain economic growth through its investment. By the time Thailand pays off its debt to China and gains complete control over the rail project, will there be anything left of the Thai economy to sustain ownership?

There is also a political perspective. China will own the project; Thailand will operate it as per any directives from the Chinese, otherwise face a blockade of the lies. What is the likelihood of a political conflict with China occurring as China continues to play Stratego with the China Sea? Thailand national security could be at risk.

• Like 1

"Thailand would have a 20-per-cent stake in it"

Am I missing something or will Thailand need to give China an exemption from the law requiring 51% Thai controlling interest in a company operating in Thailand? China will own 80% presumbly until Thailand pays off its Chinese debt. If true I'd imagine other nations would like equal treatment for their citizens establishing companies in Thailand.

Or will the Junta simply tell other nations, "You just don't understand."

• Like 1

Are you sure your great grandpa wasn't a booster for building the railroad which went from the eastern states, westward toward California? There were two losers in that project: The Native Americans and wildlife - most specifically, bison.

Granted, this rr deal between Thailand and China is different. But there are some similarities. The Chinese have the upper hand, majority stake, and are 98% looking out for China's interests. Little Thailand are like the native Americans, in the sense they'll have to take what's dished out by big brother, like it or not, for now, and for the next 100 years. And what do the bison represent? ....I don't know, but they've also been called buffalo. hmmmm.