Train my dogs to jump up into the pick-up - How?

Daffy D

Got 3 dogs, nothing special just regular Thai mutts. The oldest is just over 3years and jumps up into the back of the pick-up no problem.

The other two are just over 1 year old and still too small to jump up.

Trouble is each time I take them to the park I have to lift the younger ones up and they are getting bigger and heavier each day while I'm getting older.sad.png

Been trying to train them to jump up by themselves by placing a wooden box at the back of the pick-up to make it a 2 jump operation for them.

I got one to do half a job by sitting her on the box and then she can jump the rest. Did that a couple of time but she didn't get the idea and would not get on the box by herself to complete the jump.

The other dog won't even stay on the box.

They both love to go to the park and have no problem getting them onto the pick-up if I lift them. They are active dogs and have no problem running and jumping over things in the park so I know they are capable of jumping onto the pick-up, just need for them to understand what to do.

I tempt them with yummy cocktail sausages but they loose interest in those after a while if they don't get any because they don't jump up. blink.png

I know there are some dog experts on here so any advice would be most welcome. wink.png

smile.png

• Like 1

You can teach it to jump when you command him to. Put some obsticles down and put him on a lead. Run so he has to jump over the obstacle and say over. Praise him when he does it. Continue till he will jump on command treating it as a game.

Edited by aussiebrian

I had two golden retrievers. It wasn't necessary to train one of them. He just always did it. The other one certainly could have done it, he was just too cautious and stupid to do it. We lifted him in.

I taught a 7 month old labrador to jump up into back of toyota SUV.....have some kibble or some snack that they love and a 10-12' running start to give them some momentum. snacks and praise and a command they will come to recognize ("load up")....and some repetition so they get used to the commands. took me approx 10 minutes to teach and the owner no longer had to keep helping the dog up into the back of the SUV. my .02 worth....hope it helps.

mac

• Like 1

I had two golden retrievers. It wasn't necessary to train one of them. He just always did it. The other one certainly could have done it, he was just too cautious and stupid to do it. We lifted him in.

Same thing for me . I used to raise Goldens and I think that they associated riding in the car with air conditioning. The only problems was if there was a car door open, any car door, there would be a couple of Goldens in it ready to go!

• Like 1

who does the dog like the most ? get them to climb in the back of the ute and encourage the dogs to come. Also you can put them in the back without going anywhere and stay with them so they get use to the back and reward them with play or a treat, then very short trips to start

with. Hope it helps !

We finally got one of ours to do it after playing fetch with a ball and bounced the tennis ball into the back from about 5-10 yards away. Once she knew she could do it no problem. Before that used to stand on bag legs scrabbling with the front legs to get in and like you we used to have to lift her.

With my dog I had a problem to get him OUT of the car. He loved traveling and was looking on whatever went on outside. When we arrived, I had to persuade him to get out. And driving away without him was a totally different story. You should have seen his disappointed face.

Oh, he liked to ride on the motorbike, too. Just jumped on the seat and was sitting behind me.

• Like 1

The dogs like being in the pick-up and going to the park. They want to jump up but the tailgate is to high for them and they just don't seem to understand the concept of using the box to jump up on.

"Suradit69" The first video shows exactly my situation. The "Dog Whisperer" makes it look so easy.sad.png

"aussiebrian" As I said in my origional post the dogs can and do jump and want to get in to go to the park but they just don't undersand that using the box to jump on wil get them in the pick-up.

"Gulfsailor" My plastic is not so slippery any more and anyway with my driving while they are in the back they are used to it.biggrin.png

"jpinx" "the owners are far harder to train than the dogs !!" No problem with that, I know how to jump into the truck.clap2.gif

"Torrens54" That's what I do. Wave a sausage under her nose and let her see me put it on the tailgate.

"macster" As I said sausage is the motivation. The older bigger dog needs a running start to jump up, but the pups could do it with just stepping onto the box before a little jump onto the tailgate.

"slipperylobster" Round here I'm the only Farang they see.whistling.gif

"mikemac" First I got to get them onboard to take to the park.tongue.png

"zac5000" I'm posting here because Iv'e run out of imagination sad.png

"A1Str8" Tried that when they were younger and naughty and would not come when called so left them behind. Next day they were there waiting for me, but they do come when called now. whistling.gif

wai2.gif

Having the box as a step isn't natural - it would likely feel a bit unstable - imagine yourself having to jump onto the top step of a ladder and then jump from there.. when the dog is ready for that big a jump, they will do it on their own… find a ramp, park in a spot that is lower if that exists or lift and wait...

I taught a 7 month old labrador to jump up into back of toyota SUV.....have some kibble or some snack that they love and a 10-12' running start to give them some momentum. snacks and praise and a command they will come to recognize ("load up")....and some repetition so they get used to the commands. took me approx 10 minutes to teach and the owner no longer had to keep helping the dog up into the back of the SUV. my .02 worth....hope it helps.

mac

It is good to teach your dog being a Labrador to jump into the back of a SUV but 7 months is far too young. It is recommended not to start to teach your dog to jump, walk up stairs except when necessary and not too many, or even take your dog on long walks till it is 12 months of age. Hip dysplasia is a terrible possibly preventable disease that afflicts large dogs and jumping is one of the most harmful activities he can do.

Also be careful when you do start that if the dog is running up fast to the back of a pickup etc, he as capable if jumping that high, because if he can't may suffer serious injury.

So wait till at least 12 months of age till you try and teach your dog to do this too...

Edited by aussiebrian

I did some work with the police and Army dog squads a few years back looking at suitable transport vehicles. . Aside from a bomb going off and a vehicle accident the biggest concern was from back injuries. In the majority they are found to be from jumping in and out of vehicles that the platform was too high. We got around it buy a simple slip proof ramp made of checker plate but plank of wood would do. A small dog and a D max is asking for trouble.

• Like 1

Maybe you could also place a couple of sausages just INSIDE the tail-gate of your truck to tempt the dog to climb the step and jump in?

If you can allow yourself. Let them be hungry. Put food in the game. They'll fly into the truck. This method has worked very well. They also evolve into even more loyal companions. Enjoy the day.

Food!! Reward them for achieving, simple things at first, as another poster says, small/low obstacles at first, building in height, but always reward.

It also helps if they are hungry, so 10 minute training sessions about 30 minutes before normal meal times are best.

Keep training sessions short; their attention span is short.

Hold some snack in your hand and steer them into the car, and don`t rush it!

Do the training when you know they are hungry, like after playing at the beach.

Don`t forget to be consistent with your command. Don`t say "get into the car"

at one time, and "jump" at the next. Just say "jump" or "go" and NOTHING else

while holding some snack they like in front of their face and in the direction you

want them to go. Using "GO" may make it easier for you if you want them to go

somewhere else in the future where jumping is not involved wink.png

Making it easy for them to get in, like a a box the can step on might help if it`s

I high jump.

My dogs loved dried fish. The flat dried squid they sell everywhere smell about

the same to me wink.png

I`m sure this will work! Good luck!

Cheers smile.png