Just got kicked out of thai with valid visa

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many people think that they have a "right" to be in Thailand by reason of their visa, occupation, property-ownership, bank-balance, whatever. What they studiously fail to comprehend is that NO foreigner has any "rights" to be in Thailand. We are all here as guests and need to be civil to our hosts or they will un-invite us pdq wink.png

Such bull-headed-ness will cut no ice if you're a foreigner in EU, USA, Oz, etc. You'll be on the next flight home wink.png

Applause! +1

You stated it perfectly.

I had wondered what was the point of this thread. Silly me. Now I know.

• Like 1

Aren't most of us here for the lifestyle first, and the functional intention of our visa second. Expats here may be content to marry / retire / start a business, but they all decided primarily to do it in Thailand. For some, they would not have done so if not for this lifestyle being available.

It's how you fund that lifestyle which seems to be at the core of Immigration's current crackdown. The OP could have spent the 6 months in question at the beach enjoying said lifestyle, or he could have spent it working illegally - they made their call and he went home. For the record, I didnt work on any of the 5 or 6 tourist visas in my passport and I'm not working as a retiree - I believe I've met the obligations of all my visas.

Plenty of people working on retirement extensions or arranging for 800k to appear temporarily in their accounts. I was replying to the crowd of posters who seem to be against the very concept of Ed visas.

I dont think.there is a crowd of people against the concept of ED visas, more about the clear abuse by a number of them.

I blame the schools for the problem due to not accurately reporting attendance. Increased profits.

It is expected and normal for people to take advantage of it.

Having a large percentage of students not attending classes would allow a school with a few small classrooms and a few teachers salaries to pay but a large number of paying students.

Smart business concept.

Thailand should follow the model of other countries offering Ed visa for language courses. Intensive short term immersion courses to learn quickly.

• Like 2

This makes no sense as there are thousands of students at Thammasat from the EU and US studying programs in English. Journalism, Business Major, Tourism, Economics, etc. All of these programs are taught entirely in English.

You are correct but after paying the tuition fees I doubt if these students fail to attend class.

Actually, attendance is not required. Regardless, language proficiency is NEVER a component.

The only time when even Thais don't know how to write something and variations in spelling can occur are for foreign transliterations or transcriptions.

That's not true. Indic loanwords can present huge doubts. There are several different spellings of the common nickname 'Nit', depending on what the person's official name is. Live syllables with falling tones immediately offer two possibilities, and in many cases the current spelling is, etymologically speaking, wrong.

For a foreigner, the immediate problem is that not knowing the tone, or not knowing the basic tone rules, makes spelling guesswork. However, the relevant issue is then how Immigration would interpret the results of a spelling test. Would perfect spelling indicate that someone wasn't actually studying to improve their Thai?

Not exactly - I was right the first time, though you do have a point. Indeed there may be a couple of ways of writing "nit" or "tip" but both are considered to be "different" "nits" or "tips". Depending on the context, meaning or whether it's a name or whatever, one way of spelling a word is the right way in most circumstances. I would thus consider your comment to apply in the same way to English, say in the case of "see" or "sea" or "there" and "their", which English speakers, native ones even often can't get right. Both examples sound the same but their meaning is different. Having said that even though someone might have every intention of writing "He went to the sea" it ended up being written "he went to the see". There and their gets mixed up even more often.

Often memorisation is needed to remember these things - both in Thai and in English. You memorise these exceptions rather than try to figure out how to write a word based on it's spelling in each case - a frustrating exercise most learners don't want to have to put up with. Many words have spellings quite unlike what you would expect. Lao for example is a language where each word is spelt as it is spoken. Thai is more like English in this respect.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

This makes no sense as there are thousands of students at Thammasat from the EU and US studying programs in English. Journalism, Business Major, Tourism, Economics, etc. All of these programs are taught entirely in English.

You are correct but after paying the tuition fees I doubt if these students fail to attend class.

Actually, attendance is not required. Regardless, language proficiency is NEVER a component.

So why ask a question if you know the answer? Another reason to obliterate the ED Visa. Why do some people insist on digging their own grave?

• Like 1

The only time when even Thais don't know how to write something and variations in spelling can occur are for foreign transliterations or transcriptions.

That's not true. Indic loanwords can present huge doubts. There are several different spellings of the common nickname 'Nit', depending on what the person's official name is. Live syllables with falling tones immediately offer two possibilities, and in many cases the current spelling is, etymologically speaking, wrong.

For a foreigner, the immediate problem is that not knowing the tone, or not knowing the basic tone rules, makes spelling guesswork. However, the relevant issue is then how Immigration would interpret the results of a spelling test. Would perfect spelling indicate that someone wasn't actually studying to improve their Thai?

I was filling out a form at my local Thai bank, and the manager couldn't spell 'retired' (in Thai), and I corrected him.

How embarrassing was that for him?

Then there was the time my gf and I had to write our lunch orders down, she spelt 'pad thai' wrong (then argued when I corrected her).

A lot of Thais can't spell their own words. (PS. most Thais don't know the tone rules)

What's this got to do with the OP?

Edited by BritManToo

So many people think that they have a "right" to be in Thailand by reason of their visa, occupation, property-ownership, bank-balance, whatever. What they studiously fail to comprehend is that NO foreigner has any "rights" to be in Thailand. We are all here as guests and need to be civil to our hosts or they will un-invite us pdq wink.png

Such bull-headed-ness will cut no ice if you're a foreigner in EU, USA, Oz, etc. You'll be on the next flight home wink.png

Applause! +1

You stated it perfectly.

No, not correct. There could be weeks, months or even years of legal appeals in the countries you mentioned. If Thailand wants to keep the right to advertise in our language, on our TV channels, to run businesses, in our countries and to try to attract us to visit Thailand then it needs to rethink its racist, xenophobic attitude towards non Asians. At every level of interaction.
  • Like 2

"They were stopping every ED visa for testing thai skills."

Well this is funny....Since a foreigner can also get ED studying Muay Thai (thai box) , I wonder if they're gonna stop athletes for testing their boxing skills. Immagine a small gym near the custom with bags and gloves... biggrin.png

Since I am tired of removing posts calling the OP a troll or as the most recent flame post a liar.

He was at Suv (bkk) according to info from a confidential source.

I had no or very little doubts because the story that he told sounded exactly like the standard procedure - and the fact that when they are getting a little more strict about different visas that they might pull someone aside for some simple testing was not that much of a stretch.

I know that new government has imposed new restrictions about ED visa. Before there was no need to go to school, you paid the agency 15,000 baht for Non Immigrant Visa + 15,000 for ED school . Now, at the airport , they need to see : tuition fee, school attendace register signed by a teacher and homework done, (didn't know about thai skills too)...

As someone before me said, it's cheaper to get a double entry Tourist visa . The only disadvantage is doing the trips to Cambodia and Laos.

I blame the schools for the problem due to not accurately reporting attendance. Increased profits.

It is expected and normal for people to take advantage of it.

Having a large percentage of students not attending classes would allow a school with a few small classrooms and a few teachers salaries to pay but a large number of paying students.

Smart business concept.

Thailand should follow the model of other countries offering Ed visa for language courses. Intensive short term immersion courses to learn quickly.

The government agencies and the general level of corruption throughout the system is to blame for the system itself. The average person is very corruptible (all countries) - if they feel there is no chance they will be caught -- or can easily get their way out of it. It is not surprising that a large number of schools would "adapt" for the sake of profits. You could see the stricter enforcement coming for many months.... I remember when I was little though my parents taught me that just because "all" the other people were doing it does not mean it is a good excuse or right. There will always be selective enforcement -- especially at the beginning -- to get the word out that things are changing. When you are doing something is wrong -- you are putting yourself at risk of being caught.... you are 100% responsible for your own actions and therefore you cannot blame anyone else for your own predicament. Too many people are too quick to blame others for consequences of their own actions.

I know that new government has imposed new restrictions about ED visa. Before there was no need to go to school, you paid the agency 15,000 baht for Non Immigrant Visa + 15,000 for ED school . Now, at the airport , they need to see : tuition fee, school attendace register signed by a teacher and homework done, (didn't know about thai skills too)...

As someone before me said, it's cheaper to get a double entry Tourist visa . The only disadvantage is doing the trips to Cambodia and Laos.

Think might have been me as i will be moving off my eduction visa next year to a double entry tourist visa....... but will actually still continue my thai studies also.

Along with wanting to still learn to become more fluent in thai along with living in Thailand, i want to support my school and teachers with their jobs.

• Like 1

I've done my last extension on my current ED Visa today, no issues and I've never encountered any issues on my re-entries from abroad. I would have to get a new Visa at the end of March next year, but I'm with Marphuket on this one. It's not worth the risk of getting into trouble. I will probably change visa at the end of March to either Tourist or the Elite Visa, I will still go to school to learn Thai because I enjoy it, but honestly I don't need to have problems on a simple re-entry by a random check of someone who may decide that my language skills aren't good enough.

No complaining, it's just a fact that the government is trying to crack down on people on ED visas from private schools. They are of the opinion that many people abuse it to stay long term to work or do other illegal things. Maybe that's true, I don't know but I will try avoid getting into trouble. Maybe the chances are low of someone getting into trouble like this, but it's not worth the risk if you have alternative options. And they seem to like Tourists and people on Elite visas according to what I have read.

• Like 1

Although the OP was clearly in violation of an extension based on education, I also sympathize with him.

He was married to a Thai woman for eight years.

I am assuming a legitimate marriage.

He was building a life here. Now no legal right to stay here(except elite visa)

I think in America you would get permanent resident after 8 year marriage. I am not sure about other countries.

Although I disagree, I believe Thailand has the right to make the rules the believe are best for their country.

I believe comply with the rules or leave.

Don't insist Thailand is blessed by your presence.

Don't be so forgiving Brian. The op has abused the rules. This is not a slap. Its about we all need to abide by Thai immigration law. Yes I'm over 50 have more options.

If I was under 50 I would have plan A and plan B .

Clearly OP plan B was not thought through.

I've done my last extension on my current ED Visa today, no issues and I've never encountered any issues on my re-entries from abroad. I would have to get a new Visa at the end of March next year, but I'm with Marphuket on this one. It's not worth the risk of getting into trouble. I will probably change visa at the end of March to either Tourist or the Elite Visa, I will still go to school to learn Thai because I enjoy it, but honestly I don't need to have problems on a simple re-entry by a random check of someone who may decide that my language skills aren't good enough.

No complaining, it's just a fact that the government is trying to crack down on people on ED visas from private schools. They are of the opinion that many people abuse it to stay long term to work or do other illegal things. Maybe that's true, I don't know but I will try avoid getting into trouble. Maybe the chances are low of someone getting into trouble like this, but it's not worth the risk if you have alternative options. And they seem to like Tourists and people on Elite visas according to what I have read.

Yeah but I believe your story about not having any problems before I believe (no offense) what you've read. These crackdowns and what not for example are pretty much fabricated. Everything is going business as usual. I know first hand about my own experience and that of my housemates who have no problems. One of them attends classes regularly, one doesn't so much. Never ever any problems. Going on trips outside Thailand and back: no problem. No needing to carry stupid amounts of cash, no needing to take a Thai quiz. No-questions-asked extensions. I frankly don't believe the exaggerated third-hand accounts. There is no evidence of it. You can still get multiple tourist visas, etc. I think it's important recognize rumors for what they are.

• Like 1

Yeah but I believe your story about not having any problems before I believe (no offense) what you've read. These crackdowns and what not for example are pretty much fabricated. Everything is going business as usual. I know first hand about my own experience and that of my housemates who have no problems. One of them attends classes regularly, one doesn't so much. Never ever any problems. Going on trips outside Thailand and back: no problem. No needing to carry stupid amounts of cash, no needing to take a Thai quiz. No-questions-asked extensions. I frankly don't believe the exaggerated third-hand accounts. There is no evidence of it. You can still get multiple tourist visas, etc. I think it's important recognize rumors for what they are.

Those that bury their heads in the sand.... end up suffocating.... :P

A lot of people talk about those wonderful cheap tourist visas, so I guess the assumption is that you will be able to get those double and triple entry tourist visas forever, right? Those who complain so much about ED visas and how much trouble going to school is etc. might be up for a very hard landing in the near future. Remember my words. Shortsightedness of future toursit visa issues of some members is embarrassing.

• Like 1

A lot of people talk about those wonderful cheap tourist visas, so I guess the assumption is that you will be able to get those double and triple entry tourist visas forever, right? Those who complain so much about ED visas and how much trouble going to school is etc. might be up for a very hard landing in the near future. Remember my words. Shortsightedness of future toursit visa issues of some members is embarrassing.

I could easily see them allowing 1 tourist visa a year with no requirements.

A second one if you deposit 200,000 baht in a Thai bank account first (means tested).

And denied anything over 6 months.

For now, I think they will deny anything over the second (6 months max) -- either at the embassy or when you arrive.

I could also see them giving people trouble going directly from an ED visa to a tourist visa.

Or from tourist back to ED visa as it is a well known way to maximise stay and minimise expense. Very dangerous strategy. If people indeed go to school and study they can stay easily a few years without any trouble at all! Missing some lessons here and there is normal as perfect attendance is not an achievable goal and is not expected. It has to be within reason, use the system don't abuse it.

• Like 1

From someone fronting your business id thought you know better then to call people names. This is because i was one of the people saying I'm looking to move across onto a tourist visa...... but i also said i intended to carry on learning thai so i dont think you have to right to call any member embarrassing, unless you know there full plans, circumstances and situation going forward.

Also i and i think many other in the same position know that there will be a focus on tourist visa also going forward, Maybe not all but the majority of people who are going to change to tourist visa's, are going to change so they are on the correct visa or because of the lack of faith now in the educational visa....... how that embarrassing?!?!

If you want to talk about shortsightedness and embarrassing i could share a story my school told me about yours..... but same as you dont know the member posting personaly and I'm not at your school personally i know better then to make "shortsighted" comments

• Like 2

Well, Walen, here's the start of your business headed south …. all the way back to Oz.

Immigration are now making their own rules, at each individual office, and at the airport.

Oz....or Poland?

I've got lots of passports. Also Thai PR so I think I am staying!

Edited by MacWalen

Well, Walen, here's the start of your business headed south …. all the way back to Oz.

Immigration are now making their own rules, at each individual office, and at the airport.

Oz....or Poland?

I have not run into an immigration yet that does not apply the rules differently and have different "tests" when processing applications. Detroit was much different than Erie, each believed they did it correct and the other was not doing it right.... Regulations are written, but implementation differs depending on who you deal with.

From someone fronting your business id thought you know better then to call people names. This is because i was one of the people saying I'm looking to move across onto a tourist visa...... but i also said i intended to carry on learning thai so i dont think you have to right to call any member embarrassing, unless you know there full plans, circumstances and situation going forward.

Also i and i think many other in the same position know that there will be a focus on tourist visa also going forward, Maybe not all but the majority of people who are going to change to tourist visa's, are going to change so they are on the correct visa or because of the lack of faith now in the educational visa....... how that embarrassing?!?!

If you want to talk about shortsightedness and embarrassing i could share a story my school told me about yours..... but same as you dont know the member posting personaly and I'm not at your school personally i know better then to make "shortsighted" comments

No offence meant Markphuket. I was just an observation. It is actually very harmful to promote tourist visa as a way to stay in Thailand long term. Being a student is definitely a much better reason to stay here longer, as long as students play by the rules they will be fine.

Edited by MacWalen