Is Thai food better outside of Thailand?

puukao

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely better. If it wasn't it would go broke.

If they advertise something with chicken or beef, it has to be good pieces of meat from a good part of the animal. There has to be enough meat, shrimp or whatever is advertised that you don't have to hunt for it.

Everything has to meet the standards of the health department. The water to the restaurant is safe. Refrigeration rules are followed. A dishwashing machine that meets health dept. standards for sterilization must be used. If not the business is closed.

Such a dish will cost about US$9.00 plus tip. It will include tea. Happy to pay it.

• Like 1

In Seattle there's a Thai restaurant that has "Angel Wings."

It's a boned chicken wing, stuffed with wun sen, pork, and other ingredients, with a dipping sauce. It's almost a meal in itself. I have no idea how they stuff so much into a single wing.

It's exceptional. $3.99. Never seen it anywhere in LOS.

But if you want down and dirty, the gǔuaidtǐiao, the khao phad, and the phad Thai can't be beat in LOS.

• Like 1

It's a boned chicken wing, stuffed with wun sen, pork, and other ingredients, with a dipping sauce. It's almost a meal in itself. I have no idea how they stuff so much into a single wing.

But if you want down and dirty, the gǔuaidtǐiao, the khao phad, and the phad Thai can't be beat in LOS.

Lemon tree in Chiang mai has that, stuffed chicken wings wun sen etc inside. nice.

• Like 2

Lemon tree in Chiang mai has that, stuffed chicken wings wun sen etc inside. nice.

I'll give you a dollar if you get me the recipe.

• Like 1

I'll give you a dollar if you get me the recipe.

Because I'll do anything for a buck, I googled it and there are many recepies and also youtube video !!!

What many people fail to understand when it comes to Thai food cooked elsewhere is

first of all the availability and the authenticity of the fresh ingredients, herbs and veg

grown in Thailand have a similar but unique flavours and characteristics to the same

grown outside of Thailand, second, the cooking utensils, the wok, the burners, and every

other utensils use in here to cook Thai food add a lot to the flavour of the finished dish,

last but not least, the cook, nothing will compare to an Issan hands cooking the dish...

• Like 1

What many people fail to understand when it comes to Thai food cooked elsewhere is

first of all the availability and the authenticity of the fresh ingredients, herbs and veg

grown in Thailand have a similar but unique flavours and characteristics to the same

grown outside of Thailand, second, the cooking utensils, the wok, the burners, and every

other utensils use in here to cook Thai food add a lot to the flavour of the finished dish,

last but not least, the cook, nothing will compare to an Issan hands cooking the dish...

sums it up in a nutshell...

• Like 1

You need to find some better restaurants, mate. There's a couple dishes I feel are made better in the west (pad see ew comes to mind), but as a whole it's much better here. You can't even find half this stuff back home. And many of the herbs needed to make the dishes correctly are not available.

• Like 1

All of the Thai people I knew in the states felt the Thai food there was horrible....they knew which places to go to even if far away would drive past many others to get there....to them the tastes were neither good nor authentic....quite a few of them grew their own spices if they had the area to do so and the home cooked meals is what they had to compare against.....this was a Thai group/community of about 100+ folks in the bay area - I'm sure areas of the nation count - I've eaten great Thai food in Thai town in the LA area while seeing a gal there....not sure you'd find much in New Orleans, Montana, Texas, or east coast places.....

To me, I never noticed much of a difference until the nuances were shown to me by the people that knew better than me.....

Edited by pgrahmm

I used to go to a Thai restaurant near Polk street in San Francisco - I think it was on Sutter. I thought it was the best Thai food I'd ever eaten. They employed Thai students straight from Thailand as waitresses and they all told me that it was crap and they would never eat there themselves. biggrin.png

Most stupid thing ever

Mangosteen, pineapples, mangoes, sugar apples, papayas, coconuts, bananas, aubergines, kales, bok chois, brocolis ginger, lemongrass, krapaow, thai basil, etc all way better here than hauled unripe to each corner of the world

I've yet to find a decent Thai restaurant meal outside of Thailand with the exception of eating with Thai friends who home cooked. I've eaten in Thai restaurants in Europe, UK, Middle East and Oz.

One of the biggest failures I found was a lot of the so called Thai restaurants especially in Oz were run by Vietnamese or Malays who jumped on the band wagon when Thai food became popular.

I know of one Thai who was sponsored into Oz as a cook by a Vietnamese owned Thai restaurant. He's slowly adjusting the food and customers tastes to the authentic Thai taste and its working. The clientele numbers have greatly increased as they remember the taste of meals they had while on holiday in Thailand

• Like 1

I have noticed that Thai food is not as good outside of Thailand. Some stuff is replicatable but my friends at Thai restaurants in western countries even whine to me that the dishes are dumbed down and just unauthentic. A lot of this has to do with availability of certain sauces or veges etc.

One friend couldn't get around the fact that a Thai place in AUS was using sweet basel instead of Thai basel (กะเพรา)

On our overseas travels we routinely found the only way to get a decent Thai meal in a restaurant, was to speak directly with the chef and ask kitchen staff to prepare something they would actually eat themselves. Invariable everything on the menu was too sweet and modified to fit the taste of their western customers.

Post # 25 sums it up for me.

Was in a Thai place in the UK, Chinese owned, the food was bland beyond description.

Asked to speak to the cook, the cook couldnt speak Thai, when asked where he had learned to cook Thai food he wouldnt answer.

The staff tended to be Asian students studying in the UK or Oz for example.

The mrs used to get phone calls from the UK from a Pinoy who was employed to cook Thai food in an Indian owned Thai food resto.

Many of the places in the UK tend to be Vietnamese owned, Thai food one week, Mongolian BBQ or whatever is flavour of the month the next week.

I have the exact same problem with Mexican food in Thailand, many places employ Pinoy staff who dont have a clue.

It would obviously depend as much on the individual restaurant as its location. I've eaten in Thai restaurants in the US, UAE and Pakistan and find them not to be as good as in Thailand. I assume restaurants in Thailand that cater to tourists and those outside of Thailand that cater to preferences & local tastes will "dumb down" what they serve, but Thai restaurants that serve mostly Thai customers can be excellent or they will lose their Thai patronage.

Don't have any complaints about the meat, water or whatever they use. Never have had any digestive repercussions from eating in a Thai restaurant or from vendors in markets or on the street.

Can't say I've ever had a really great steak here or that I've ever had a pizza here that rose above the level of acceptable, but neither is Thai food.

Yes overall the quality of Thai food I've eaten in Hong Kong is far superior to what I've had here in Bangkok.

I love Thai food here but the amount and quality of the meat put into locally made dishes is pretty poor.

One thing I really miss from HK is a good spicy Thai Beef Salad, made with succulent strips of slightly rare barbecued steak and mixed with spicy salad.

The versions I've tried here had about 1/4 of the amount of meat (if that). They were super tasty but not enough protein.

• Like 2