Police scandal shows dire need for reform, public tells Dusit Poll

Lite Beer

This clean out seems to be very targeted and very limited to a very small circle of officers, almost as if it is a very deliberate witch hunt based on very specific ulterior motives. Could it be that this is not about reform at all?

Bingo.

What we are witnessing is a PURGE, and has absolutely nothing to do with reform.

I believe they are also charging him with Koh Tao murders and the sacking of Ayutthaya in 1766 as well. There will be a huge party as soon as the family are all convicted to declare Thailand free of all crime.

LOL, meanwhile the tessakit (so called 'city inspectors') continue to prey on tourists along Sukhumvit.

Is this the PM's idea of reform?

Nothing more than crooks in uniform, and backed up by the police too. Scum of the earth, every last one of them.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please read the following very carefully:

Any discussion of the Monarchy or members of the royal family in a political context will result in a ban. This includes vague comments that could be construed as referring to the Monarchy.

Those comments can be found here: NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING IN THAILAND NEWS

Also as per forum rule 1:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to or even referencing external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

• Like 1

The scandal is merely smoke and mirrors for actions by a group living in a feudal past and reliant on trying to block the truth that the outside world can report freely on.

This has already been reported in the foreign media in explicit detail. Luckily we have freedom of speech, without fear of reprisal.

• Like 1

Is the real motivation of the "cleanup" of this one police officer (Pongpat) and his family really fighting corruption?

It's very well know that the whole police force is corrupt. They could pick up anyone and make a case.

Is there's some reason why they choose this one?

Things can't be discussed here, but you can fight more information on international news websites.

Just a wild guess, but perhaps the reason they chose this one was because he was corrupt to the tune of more than a billion baht, and he was the head of the CIB. He apparently made his corruption too extreme and too hard to ignore. Why do folks want to make an Oliver Stone conspiracy out of this?

Did you see the bank accounts of the other police officers and some army leaders? I must say they did pretty well with a 70K monthly income.

Everyone sits and complains when the boys in charge DO NOT go after the big boys. The moment they do, they start screaming conspiracy. What the hell! Just have to believe people love to complain for the sake of complaining.

Because the "wrong boys in charge" are doing the clean out. It does not suit their agenda so they have to denounce it.

If the Junta did not do anything the comments would be "The Junta are not serious about fighting corruption"

• Like 1

Everyone sits and complains when the boys in charge DO NOT go after the big boys. The moment they do, they start screaming conspiracy. What the hell! Just have to believe people love to complain for the sake of complaining.

Which came first? The chicken or the egg?

If both are corrupt, how does one eliminate the other?

The entire charade is a farce, much like trying to explain to a waiter/waitress you want your food "mai phet/not spicy".

Corruption, like spicy food, is so ingrained in society that any other option is 1,000% beyond all comprehension.

Siam = Land of the Free......It's much like the USA, where it's the Land of the FEE, except at least I'm free to criticize current and past powers that be.

Heaven forbid one develop one's own opinion in Thailand. They'll tell you what to say & think.

Big honking red warning at the top of this screen. How can I ever say anything derogatory, as I don't know anything, as He is not allowed to be discussed.

Not that I have an opinion on it/Him, just, sheesh... Land of the Free my butt.

This clean out seems to be very targeted and very limited to a very small circle of officers, almost as if it is a very deliberate witch hunt based on very specific ulterior motives. Could it be that this is not about reform at all?

the fish stinks from the head.

Edited by eddie61
  • Like 2

Bingo.

What we are witnessing is a PURGE, and has absolutely nothing to do with reform.

Pol Pot (Political Potentate) & Stalin come to mind.

Just today wifey and I went to the local Big C Extra complex. I went to the supermarket, she went to the postal agent. When we met up, she was almost fuming. As she was in the postal agent's shop, a middle-aged woman was proclaiming quite loudly (boasting) to the cashier that her husband and her had just spent 10 million baht getting her policeman husband's promotion. She made the boast in the form of a complaint that the army was making life difficult for people.

Wifey said she said "Disgusting" loud enough for the woman to hear, and walked out.

Wifey (Thai) can not understand why people accept corruption.

(Plainly "10 million" was just part of the boast, but it's clear the woman's husband did pay a considerable sum for promotion)

For those of us who have access to other sources it is clear that "reform" is not the major issue here...

• Like 2

Post removed

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Is the real motivation of the "cleanup" of this one police officer (Pongpat) and his family really fighting corruption?

It's very well know that the whole police force is corrupt. They could pick up anyone and make a case.

Maybe we need to look for more information on international news websites?\

My impression is that the action was focused and the rest of the corrupt police top will be spared.

I just don't "get" you guys, targeted or not, some corrupt dirt bags went down. Would you be happier if they had just ignored the massive corruption? Before you start, I can read, I do know the back story. As far I'm concerned, I'm glad they were busted, let's hope that a bunch more of them get stripped of their rank and their ill gotten gains.

• Like 2

The real problem is deep rooted, since the guys who bought the job must get the money somehow back and how? .Which is of course leading to the conclusion that they had been doing the same down the line from level to level. Which is leading again to the conclusion there is probably no single one clean officer to be found. Sad isn't it?

It reminds me at the case of a high class officer of the Pattaya police some years ago. He got angry because he was transferred somewhere else and openly declared and complaining that he paid money for his job and that he has the right to stay on it. Later he was quiet down and nothing was heard about it again.

Sad again that the officer did not find anything wrong with him paying money for the job but he felt that he has the right to complain ....which gives a deep insight in the state of mind of Thai officials.

These guys are just the tip of the iceberg.

So there is no way to clean out that mess as at least make sure that the practise is stopped from top down. It has to be healed from top down and it will need time and education about ethics, morality and honor.

• Like 1

This is all about cleaning house in preparation, a spring clean if you like. Sometimes you throw away the old curtains as an excuse for getting new ones. Sometimes children use manipulation when parents won't let them do what they want so they can get their desire. Sometimes spring cleaning is a whole family affair. But a new set of curtains does not mean the curtain factory needs its entire manufacturing plant overhauled.

If this is being promoted in the media as a clean up of corrupt police then they have several tens of thousands still to clean out. If it just a targeted mission to remove a certain element that has potential for huge embarrassment then it's scope will be limited. Of course the deceit and intrigue in Thailand probably means there are multiple elements involved here feeding off the main driving factor. It ain't simple and has multiple angles for sure but cleaning up corruption is just the dressing and ribbon to make it look pretty.

Just how did these policemen get into positions of such seniority?

• Like 1

"Eighty per cent said they felt reports about the scandal raised more questions than they answered ...Another 78 per cent said the scandal showed bureaucratic corruption to be extensive and deep-rooted".

Um, is the news media undergoing some kind of sudden awakening?

I expect lese majeste charges to be leveled too.

When an organization is rife with corruption, a bottom-up and top-down reorganization is in order. Singapore took that direction in the 1960s and 70s.

Today, they are a model for the other ASEAN members.

Edited by Benmart

Now they should take a poll to see how many "concerned" citizens are in favor of OBEYING the laws that they want to police to enforce! By my observations, it would be too few to count, sad to say.

That's exactly why a clean police is needed to enforce those laws. Then people's attitudes will change too.

laugh.png These threads are tabloid journalism presenting itself as a 'forum'. Posters can allude to, but not openly discuss in actual fact. 'People's attitude will change/obeying laws and so on. What s0dding laws? Do tell?

You're as ignorant/deluded as the Thais themselves.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Every adult Thai knows why this particular copper was chosen. If any Thai or falang gave the reason on this website or anywhere else in the LOS, they'd be joining him in jail.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Things can't be discussed here, but you can fight more information on international news websites.

Just a wild guess, but perhaps the reason they chose this one was because he was corrupt to the tune of more than a billion baht, and he was the head of the CIB. He apparently made his corruption too extreme and too hard to ignore. Why do folks want to make an Oliver Stone conspiracy out of this?

You are not yet in possession of facts known to almost all in the LOS. Go to websites I can't mention and you'll see there is indeed a "conspiracy". T.I.T.

so naive... go get yourself educated to find out what's really happening

So the billion plus in illegally gotten assets was just a setup! Oh, now I get it. This guy wasn't corrupt, they are just trying to take him down because of political reasons.

Who the heck cares WHY he was taken down. The guy is one of the most corrupt officials in the country. If this is the impetus for change in the police department as a whole, I'm all for it. I read the Time article and I say, WHO CARES. Let's prosecute very and all corrupt officials. Who knows, it may become a more popular pastime in Thailand than taking bribes!

Please do your homework before commenting further, ok?

When an organization is rife with corruption, a bottom-up and top-down reorganization is in order. Singapore took that direction in the 1960s and 70s.

Today, they are a model for the other ASEAN members.

And don't expect Thailand to follow that model. This country has been morally bankrupt for more years than can be counted in the last century and the general attitude and mindset of all those obscenely rich people in power will keep it the way it is until the till is completely empty.

Reform is for poor people and will never be applied where it's truly needed.

• Like 1

You are not yet in possession of facts known to almost all in the LOS. Go to websites I can't mention and you'll see there is indeed a "conspiracy". T.I.T.

I hesitate to ask, how the h-ll do you know what facts he is in possession of? Since you know everything, who was on the grassy knoll?