Fish dying, locals eating poisonous creatures in the face of cold

Lite Beer

Fish dying, locals eating poisonous creatures in the face of cold

BANGKOK, 29 November 2014 (NNT) – Chilly weather prevalent over several North and Northeastern provinces is causing the death of farmed fish in Sakon Nakhon. Meanwhile, Burirum authorities have warned locals against consuming poisonous creatures and alcohol in hopes of fending off the cold.

Marut Sapsamruai, the director of the freshwater fisheries station in Sakon Nakhon, revealed on Friday that the drop in temperature had triggered a rise of the ammonia level in water, and caged fish were dying from the excess ammonia. Fish farmers are advised to stop feeding their fish and to increase the oxygen level in the water by using aerators. They are also advised to add bio-extract juice to the water to restore the balance of water contents.

In Buriram, the public health office in Ban Kruat district is warning locals against consuming alcohol and poisonous animals to ward off the cold. According to the office, consumption of the aforementioned is detrimental to health and may be fatal in some cases. People are advised instead to put on thick clothing and to warm themselves around a fire or to exercise to keep their bodies warm.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-29 footer_n.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Boggles the mind to read, year after year how the NE people and the government simply doesn't

know how to deal, and how completely unprepared they are to the cold season, I mean, com'on, is this the

first cold season you have experienced in your life? and every year the same story, people die,

people starve, shortage of blankets food, heating etc. etc..

when will you ever learn to prepare for anything in life people of the north? here is a clue,

cold seasons will come every year round this time of the year, let's see the headlines next

year...

Same applies to flood , they get flooded year in /out and nothing changes.

In Buriram, the public health office in Ban Kruat district is warning locals against consuming alcohol and poisonous animals to ward off the cold.

So correct me if I'm wrong, alcohol consuming is ok above 20° C ???

clap2.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I originate from Northeast England and now live in Buriram, the winter in the UK is much colder, and indeed most of the summer, than in Buriram and have never been tempted to consume poisonous animals at either location.

However, as for alcohol, that is another story which has nothing to to with the temperature/climate, much like most of the residents in my area.

Boggles the mind to read, year after year how the NE people and the government simply doesn't

know how to deal, and how completely unprepared they are to the cold season, I mean, com'on, is this the

first cold season you have experienced in your life? and every year the same story, people die,

when will you ever learn to prepare for anything in life people of the north? here is a clue,

cold seasons will come every year round this time of the year, let's see the headlines next

year...

Hey, it's no different than all the stupid people in your cold country who die by the droves of heat stroke in expected hot weather. They do stupid things like stay out in the sun too long, or drink ice water right after getting overheated, etc.

Then there are those who die by the droves from skin cancer from an excess of sunbathing.

Same same.

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

"People are advised instead to put on thick clothing and to warm themselves around a fire or to exercise to keep their bodies warm."

People actually need to be told this and warned against eating poisonous animals?

Must be a nightmare getting them to wash their hands after going to the toilet.

Exercise, come on now this IS Thailand, and as usual useless reporting, shouldn't it read poisonous creatures IN alcohol and as for washing hands, same comment as exercise.

Now I know eating poisonous animals can be detrimental to my health. rolleyes.gif

Thank you National News Bureau of Thailand.

You are probably lucky enough not to be as superstitious as, not to mention better informed than, many less fortunate Thai people for whom eating this kind of thing may be traditional.

It is also likely that you do not suffer in the cooler weather in the way that many Thais do and that in the absence of sufficient food you can just go shopping for more.

Take your derision and sarcasm towards a news report and shove it.

...and to warm themselves around a fire or to exercise to keep their bodies warm

Those 2 options together will do the trick.....and cause a baby boom (like they need help around here!).

Judging from your post someone needs to explain to you how procreation works, it's nothing to do with sitting around a fire or taking exercise.

In Buriram, the public health office in Ban Kruat district is warning locals against consuming alcohol and poisonous animals to ward off the cold.

I think they mean if people drink too much alcohol they may feel warmer at first but if they fall asleep outside they may become undercooled.

So before you think advice like that is hilarious,think twice.

• Like 2

As you know, you're wrong. Many people do actually believe that the warming effect of consuming strong alcohol is beneficial in cold conditions.

I think they mean if people drink too much alcohol they may feel warmer at first but if they fall asleep outside they may become undercooled.

So before you think advice like that is hilarious,think twice.

Well said, but he doesn't think the advice is hilarious, it's his own post he is applauding and laughing at because it's so, er, funny.

It would appear that many posters are ignorant of the fact that many elderly people 60 yr old and above only recieve 500 Baht Pension per month, and do not have any money for extra clothes, or warm bedding, and if they are too frail to go out to collect wood for a fire what are they to do ?. and yes it happens year after year and will continue to do so unless something is done about it.

I beleive something was lost in the translation. When something like food goes bad ... Thai say . Aharn per phit. Translated literally .. food has become poisonous. Regarding alcohol. They are refering to improper distilation of alcohol which could produce methanol - a poisonous form of alcohol.

year...

"when will you ever learn to prepare for anything in life people of the north?"

I don't know. When will people in western countries where it snows every winter learn how to drive in the snow?

• Like 2

year...

Well I think even cavemen knew to put on clothes and make a fire. Strewth.

They even knew not to poison themselves.

• Like 1

Again education comes into play. Many people simply dont know how to stand on their own two feet, or how to make provisions in self-support. In the past the powers just gave them a few blankets and a couple of baht to keep them happy. That is why these people can be so easily misled. No intention was ever made to educate these people in self-support. Because its very easy to control uneducated masses than educated ones.

• Like 2

"In Buriram, the public health office in Ban Kruat district is warning locals against consuming alcohol and poisonous animals to ward off the cold."

And, and, and, don't run with scissors, don't stick your hand in a fan etc...

Crimony!

year...

Same as floods & droughts.

Re: Cold weather, I was in Surin & father-in-law wears a jacket in the winter! Smart Guy!

He still wears shorts & flip-flops, but he does own a jacket.

I did 4 years straight in Thailand & returned to Florida in December once. I almost DIED....Felt like it anyhow. I was OK, just miserable at near freezing.

Relatives had their thermostats set at 75F/25C & I was miserable.

I didn't die though. I sure as hell didn't eat any poisonous animals! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Edited by jaywalker

Now I know eating poisonous animals can be detrimental to my health. rolleyes.gif

Thank you National News Bureau of Thailand.

You are probably lucky enough not to be as superstitious as, not to mention better informed than, many less fortunate Thai people for whom eating this kind of thing may be traditional.

It is also likely that you do not suffer in the cooler weather in the way that many Thais do and that in the absence of sufficient food you can just go shopping for more.

Take your derision and sarcasm towards a news report and shove it.

If eating poisonous animals is traditional, there shouldn't be any Thais left.

do you really think 20 c pr 16 c is cold ?