Any Regrets Moving Upcountry?

Vegemite

A previous time we were writing about this subject, there was much discussion about missing certain family members back in our mother countries. I still think this will be the big one for me once I make the move. I am very close with my older son... anone have intent to visit regularly and find themselves staying in Thailand for longer periods? I'm thinking this is likely to happen to me. :o

That's a good point, but anyway I have lived in asia for years anyway so that makes no difference to me. But as we speak, I have the pleasure of having my daughter staying with me - she is at university in UK, is here for holidays, and thoroughly enjoying the relaxed life style.

Transport is a good point, it is necessary. Also, as an earlier poster mentioned, we sometimes drive into the city (Ubon) for dinner etc. and stay overnight in a hotel to avoid driving home after a couple of drinks and in the dark (when buffalo, dogs, potholes and vehicles without lights make a tiring journey). A decent hotel is only around 700 to 900 baht for the night.

A previous time we were writing about this subject, there was much discussion about missing certain family members back in our mother countries. I still think this will be the big one for me once I make the move. I am very close with my older son... anone have intent to visit regularly and find themselves staying in Thailand for longer periods? I'm thinking this is likely to happen to me. :o

A very good point.... and not one that could be handled by everybody.

For me it was very easy, I have a huge family in the UK, I have 52 cousins...... never saw the vast majority of them from one year to the next.

My mother died about 5 years ago, my favourite Auntie followed shortly after.... that left my brother, who I would usually see at Christmas and send the odd email every now and again.

I have probably had more contact with my brother from 6,000 miles away than I did when we were just a 30 minute drive apart...... so I don't miss anything about my relatives at all.

I have no children in the UK, but if I did, I would have to think for much longer and much harder about my decision to move here.

A very good point.... and not one that could be handled by everybody.

For me it was very easy, I have a huge family in the UK, I have 52 cousins...... never saw the vast majority of them from one year to the next.

My mother died about 5 years ago, my favourite Auntie followed shortly after.... that left my brother, who I would usually see at Christmas and send the odd email every now and again.

I have probably had more contact with my brother from 6,000 miles away than I did when we were just a 30 minute drive apart...... so I don't miss anything about my relatives at all.

I have no children in the UK, but if I did, I would have to think for much longer and much harder about my decision to move here.

My Thailand timeline is 4-5 years, with my new Thai, soon to be wife. I've traveled a lot, planned a lot and my biggest problem is my 2 children. They live with me currently (that's part of the 4-5 year delay) and we are close.

We am planning, the first few years, to come back here for a few months, but then return to Thailand for 9. So I figure it will be 8-9 years before I am 12 months in Thailand (perhaps).

My kids will have their own lives by then, hopefully they will travel to me, or some prearranged meeting point, and we will visit them a couple times a year.

But it still is the only hesitation.

I have two children in the US. They both are married and have their own families. I really think they are relieved to have the old man here in Thailand because they have no problems planning their little holidays. If I were still in the US they would have to worry about what to do with me and how to entertain me when I went for a holiday visit.

My major problem is that I do worry about my mother and father. They are both 86 years old. My mother doesn't get around that well anymore and my father has Alzheimer's. My mother has more than she can handle looking after my dad. I have a trip back for a duty visit next month. It's been over two years since I was there. Fortunately I have a brother and a sister who live nearby to look after them. My parents still live by themselves in a rather large old house so this visit is to decide what to do from here. It's not a pleasant thought that they should go to an old age home but that would probably be the best thing to do.

Other than for my parents, I would NEVER go back. Thailand has been my home for many years now and going back to the US is like visiting a foreign country. Years ago I suggested that my parents should seriously consider coming over here to live. That sugestion was never seriously considered by anyone else but me.

To bad they didn't take the suggestion life wopuld probably be a lot better fro them here then in an old age home. But I guess that would be a very scarey thing for someone who has never been here.

I had two teenage daughters when I moved here, and a someone pointed out the reality was when I'd spend time with them which I tried to do a often as the work schedule would allow, I was really just messing up thier plans.

So they went about developing thier lives and I went about living mine. We communicate as often as they like which isn't very often. But the idea was to make them self sufficient so they could survive in the world. They are welcome here anytime they wan't to come. Nice adventure for them if they so choose. No adventure for me there, I haven't returned and have no thought of doing so.

Gentleman, on a related subject, are there any of you who have experienced life in Nong Khai as it is an area in which I would be interested in knowing more about.

I am currently living in New Zealand and have got to like the Thai way of life over two years of visiting there, and have thought of retiring there at age 59. However I am not too keen on the constant "nightlife" which I have experienced in the likes of Patong, although the constant heat.

So a couple of questions: -- has anyone had experience and living in Nong Khai and are there temperature variations in that part of Thailand with regard to seasons and day and night temperatures?. Philnz

Gentleman, on a related subject, are there any of you who have experienced life in Nong Khai as it is an area in which I would be interested in knowing more about.

I am currently living in New Zealand and have got to like the Thai way of life over two years of visiting there, and have thought of retiring there at age 59. However I am not too keen on the constant "nightlife" which I have experienced in the likes of Patong, although the constant heat.

So a couple of questions: -- has anyone had experience and living in Nong Khai and are there temperature variations in that part of Thailand with regard to seasons and day and night temperatures?. Philnz

Hi Philnz, I cannot comment on Nong Khai, I will leave that to someone who lives there; but I do live in Isaan (Ubon) and there is certainly a great variety of weather. Now it is the rainy season, with hot days (like today) and cool days (like yesterday). Around December/ January it gets very chilly in the evenings, a jacket is needed. But the hot season is very hot (upper 30s). Yesterday, as Isaid was cool - I did not want a fan on when I sat outside in the evening, but I did in the bedroom. I give these subjective impressions as if you want actual temperatures you can easily look them up on the web, for example here http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48352.html

Good luck,

Mike :o

The Thai government has climate info at the website below.

http://www.tmd.go.th/program/tour_show_eg....mp=Northeastern

The table will tell you avg hi and lo temps, rainfall, and other climatic stats for each month in selected provinces. :o

post-18138-1157265454_thumb.jpg

Is this rush hour?? :o

Yep!

Every morning at around 6am take the buffalo to the rice field for food and shade.

Every evening take the buffalo back to home.

Not much in between, just the occasional motorbike and the odd utility truck selling something.

Here is a pic looking across the road from THE shop where I drank as many bia Hienekan as I was allowed to. Very relaxing.

post-18138-1157265519_thumb.jpg

I sometimes wonder how long it will remain the way it is.

Every time I visit, (surrounding Korat area), it seems there are a lot of changes,

like slightly more cars and factory units, more modern style houses etc.

Everything changes, but seems a little to fast for me.

Maybe, it’s just my imagination, or maybe not.

Enjoy it while you can,

The juggernaut of progress is coming soon to a moo baan near you.

Mores the pity.

:o

Our day starts about 5.30 to 6 am when my mother in law gets up (she has a house next to ours) and cooks rice for the early morning monks parade.

No I dont get up then :D

The next high point is the 9 am buffalo going out to the fields. :D

Next is the 4 o'clock Ducks returning, :D this is worrying as I never see them going out, perhaps they are one way Ducks? :D

At 5 pm the buffalo's return.

Wow!! What another busy day this has been. :o:D:D:D:D:D

Our day starts about 5.30 to 6 am when my mother in law gets up (she has a house next to ours) and cooks rice for the early morning monks parade.

No I dont get up then :D

The next high point is the 9 am buffalo going out to the fields. :o

Next is the 4 o'clock Ducks returning, :D this is worrying as I never see them going out, perhaps they are one way Ducks? :D

At 5 pm the buffalo's return.

Wow!! What another busy day this has been.

That's why I haven't got ducks, I couldn't stand the hectic lifestyle you lead :D

Surfer, (and OP)

That is my own conundrum at times. I miss my three grown kids in the states. I now do a 5 months in Thailand, one month in the states cycle to see them and my Ma and friends. Gives you a nice holiday back to the homeland, and a good counterbalance that makes me see why I like living in Thailand so much. Miss the kids, but for a couple grand USD a year for two trips it makes it much easier to deal with this, and not so expensive, although the airline prices keep going up as the oil prices go up. Also, thanks to TV.com, I have installed Skype on my computer and had my kids install as well. So we now can talk to each other all the time for basically nothing for hours if need be. Add a webcam and it is even better. My daughter is having my first grandkid in December and I'll be there for the birth and a few weeks after (get the taxes done and all). With the webcam I can even see the tyke as he/she grows up and the grandkid can see Gramps as well. SO easy to do now with these modern technologies. :-)

I agree with those who spoke about a man having his wheels, 2 or 4. Four is best though, and I have taken my truck all over the country over the years I've had it. It does make a big difference and gives you the freedom you need to keep from feeling isolated or trapped in the countryside. I now live in Surin and spend my weekends in the village house, but if it wasn't for the schooling of our daughter in a decent Surin school I could easily move back up to the village full time again. We could have stayed in the village but that entails a 50 minute drive each way to bring the daughter to school in Surin. Much easier, and inexpensive, is a rental and live in Surin. Only thing against the village is there is no internet access up there, so I'd have to do the satellite connection thing for more baht. But not renting a house in Surin would save the baht and could/wouldbe used for that as well. Not a problem really. A wash in expenses.

Only thing I really miss at times are my few good friends back in Beantown, and some regional foods from Boston and the US that are harder to find here, and certain ethnic foods I enjoyed in the states. I love Thai food, but I do need some farang food (good as well) to feel completely at ease and comfortable. So, a trip to Bangkok or Pattaya at times for good Italian or Mexican (yes, you can get decent Mex in Thailand). The Farang Connection here in Surin has some fine farang foods and some great choices for beers and liquors as well that help a man stay healthy and fit and not getting bored with diet or choice of bevvies. :-)

As others have said, you need to do a test run to see if you could live here (the longer the test run the better) and you can easily find some good farang company with a bit of searching about, or through places such as ThaiVisa which makes it all so much easier.

Let us know how you get on.

Cent

Do you expats living in Isaan ever have any regrets.

I mean the people that have uprooted from thier native country and decided to live there permanently.

Do you ever feel homesick in a big way?

What about the food? How much do you miss the food from back home?

The language?

The Thai way?

If you have a Thai wife, has she forgotten any of the english ( or other ) that she used to be good at? Do you crave a chance to talk in your native tongue?

If you live in the sticks and miles away from other people or even a small village, what do you do?

I am only asking because I may be one of you in the future and probably a lot of others will have the same option.

Vegemite,

No regrets, just a few things missed at times.

One thing to gauge how you will do living in the boonies is what you already do where you live now. Do you have hobbies and interests you could indulge in in the village or anywhere? Are you easily bored? Do you require lots of nightlife? (Although in Surin this is easily done as well on a smaller scale if one so chooses.) But if you are a one night a week partier it can be done with some small effort and expense. even from the villages in most places. The internet makes a big difference and having access is a big help at times. Learning to speak Thai/some Lao/some Khmen is a plus, although as some have stated here it seems it gets harder as you get older (or lazier as is my case I suspect :-) )

Another thing is your income. This can make a huge difference in your Isaan lifestyle. Being able to afford to get away every few weeks or months as needed makes it all that much more enjoyable and easy to handle. Just scratching by on a small income/retirement would limit you and affect your enjoyment living upcountry.

One thing I have done is joined a Video store and I rent DVD's once or twice a week to get some English language movies to watch. I don't have UBC but the local cable, which does have one good movie channel to watch English language movies. But the DVD's help as well. And it is cheap enough to buy the DVD's in BKK. I can get them from a guy I can call to meet me when in Bangers for 80 baht each, and stock up when ever I am down there.

It all depends on what your comfort level is and what rocks your boat and what will drive you batty with boredom really.

I have a home gym, a nice mountain bike brought from the states, a couple motocykes, etc. which makes life easier as well and more enjoyable.

Cent

p.s. Oi, here's a question! Any of you Farang Connection farangs play chess? I have a chess set and would be up for playing a few games once in a while at the Farang Connection or at home and at others homes. ANyone up for a game? (Thais don't seem to be that into chess around these here parts. And Thai checkers drives me nuts! :-) )

Just noticed something in the Post and I don't disagree at all, but if yuo have to live a frugal lifestyle here, you would not make it at all in the states. The thing I have enjoyed about Thailand very much is I can have it my way as long as I can pay for it. I have everything I need and most of what I want, for the other things I want a bit of discipline and I can save up for the others. In L.A. my retirement might let my exist but not live. The reality is I would still be working to make it.