In Thailand, does Money make you Happy?

David48

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that if you have heaps of money ... which you will spend ... it's only human nature ...

they make it very difficult to spend money in thailand what with not being able to buy land/house, neigh impossible to get a drivers license so car is very difficult too.

some of the most beautiful girls were around when youth was much more on side than money but that could also be a changing of the seasons.

Getting a driving license is very easy, what has been your problem in achieving this ?

Yes, that's a bit confusing....but not as confusing as the rest of his post.

Thailand is definitely not the country for really rich people to settle down. People who settle down here think that they are rich enough to stay, but in many cases it doesn't add up. Thailand is not the "cheap Charlie's" paradise

Fatfather

I was lying in Bangkok Hospital Pattaya with flesh-eating bacteria in my left ankle. The day of admission I was put on antibiotics that cost 22,000 baht a day. The second day they informed my wife that I had been taken off the medicine untiI I could demonstrate the ability to pay. Quick trip home to get a credit card and a week later and lighter by 220,000 baht I still had my leg. I would be extremely unhappy if I had not had the money.

I was lying in Bangkok Hospital Pattaya with flesh-eating bacteria in my left ankle. The day of admission I was put on antibiotics that cost 22,000 baht a day. The second day they informed my wife that I had been taken off the medicine untiI I could demonstrate the ability to pay. Quick trip home to get a credit card and a week later and lighter by 220,000 baht I still had my leg. I would be extremely unhappy if I had not had the money.

Or Medical Insurance?

Money gives u choice, simple as that

That's how I have always seen it.

One wise poster here, I thought it was StreetCowboy from memory, but he said nah ... wasn't him.

... money is like electricity, useless in form, but powerfull in what work it can do for you ... or words to that effect.

And, as kannot says above ... it gives you options.

What I was sort of working towards with this was thread was, along the lines of ...

Say you are single, so not trying to impress the gf.

You could stay in a swanky 5 star hotel, eat in their restaurant, sip cocktails in one of their many pools for maybe 3 or 4 nights, but staying fairly isolated.

You could stay in a 3 star hotel, pool, nice aircon room for maybe 10 nights, get out of the Hotel, eat in some of the local places, grab a drink in a Bar of your choice ... get out an see more of thailand then from a 5 Star room.

I'm not saying for a second that having a beer in bar designed for Westerners is 'experiencing Thailand' ... but it's a stepping stone to some of the wonderful and in-expensive fun things you can do in the Kingdom without a lot of money.

• Like 1

Money is a key indicator (along with job, education, skin colour, etc.) to determine your social status and position in the pecking order if you are locked into the Thai social structure. This would include virtually all Thais and virtually no Westerners. I guess it would not be much fun to be bottom of the heap.

I think many people in many countries would agree that the situation is the same in their country. Japan, Korea, Germany, Sweden, Norway, France, Finland, Iceland change Westerner to another nationality.

Tell me is it easier for you to get a long term visa to Thailand or a Thai person to get a visa to your country?

You have misunderstood my post.

If you extrapolate from it, my point is that money is more likely to be a determining factor in a Thai's happiness rating than in a farang living in Thailand's happiness rating. This is due to the structure of the society they are living in. Thais thus are more likely to mention money and happiness as related.

A friend of mine died this year. He had three children. His mia noi moved in with his wife to take care of the kids. This is an interesting country.

That would really make a good story.

I warmly encourage you, when you have the time, to write that.

For sure, it would make an interesting read.

Living with an extended Thai Family ... I've seen a lot ... but I've never experienced that!

Me too. I have better things on which to spend my money.

Money is a key indicator (along with job, education, skin colour, etc.) to determine your social status and position in the pecking order if you are locked into the Thai social structure. This would include virtually all Thais and virtually no Westerners. I guess it would not be much fun to be bottom of the heap.

I think many people in many countries would agree that the situation is the same in their country. Japan, Korea, Germany, Sweden, Norway, France, Finland, Iceland change Westerner to another nationality.

Tell me is it easier for you to get a long term visa to Thailand or a Thai person to get a visa to your country?

You have misunderstood my post.

If you extrapolate from it, my point is that money is more likely to be a determining factor in a Thai's happiness rating than in a farang living in Thailand's happiness rating. This is due to the structure of the society they are living in. Thais thus are more likely to mention money and happiness as related.

Of course, this is your opinion and not a Thai person. You'd be surprised how many Thais are actually quite happy making what we would consider a small income. It's family and friends that are important to them. But these Thais don't mingle with farangs much, so you wouldn't know. The Thais that do associate with farangs (mostly the females) have money very high on their priority list. Perhaps that is where you are getting your information.

• Like 1

In my opinion money does not bring happiness and on some occasions it can bring the opposite. However, if you have sufficient funds to lead a comfortable life style, not worry about where the next baht comes from, then the life style you can enjoy, together with a good woman, wife or g/f, and loyal friends, plus good health, will bring you all the happiness you need.

Do you think that if you have heaps of money ... which you will spend ... it's only human nature ...

they make it very difficult to spend money in thailand what with not being able to buy land/house, neigh impossible to get a drivers license so car is very difficult too.

some of the most beautiful girls were around when youth was much more on side than money but that could also be a changing of the seasons.

I wish they would make it difficult to spend money here, I would have a lot more now than I did last year. Bought a condo in BKK, a new CRV and of course the wife's new Toyota this year. All I my name, with the exception of the wife's car.

I don't know why you say it is neigh possible to get a DL here. It took me a whole three hours last year, that is from the time I went to immigration for the residency letter, drove to a nearby doctors clinic and obtained the health clearance letter and then to the Land and Transport office.

After completing the application form, providing a copy of my passport; two photographs and following a colour and reaction test, I was given my two one year licenses, car and motorcycle. Total cost B1,060.00, which included all fees from the various departments and doctor. All took place in Udon Thani.

I did however, have an International Driver's License and did not require an interpreter/ translator, as I read and speak the language, which I believe, allowed the whole process to proceed in such a short time. Have now renewed the license and both expire in 5 years.

Edited by Si Thea01

What I was sort of working towards with this was thread was, along the lines of ...

Say you are single, so not trying to impress the gf.

You could stay in a swanky 5 star hotel, eat in their restaurant, sip cocktails in one of their many pools for maybe 3 or 4 nights, but staying fairly isolated.

You could stay in a 3 star hotel, pool, nice aircon room for maybe 10 nights, get out of the Hotel, eat in some of the local places, grab a drink in a Bar of your choice ... get out an see more of thailand then from a 5 Star room.

I'm not saying for a second that having a beer in bar designed for Westerners is 'experiencing Thailand' ... but it's a stepping stone to some of the wonderful and in-expensive fun things you can do in the Kingdom without a lot of money.

Ha, ha. David. If you have the money – enough money – you may wish to try the 5-star for a couple of nites, just to know what it’s like tongue.png. Okay, you may realize that in the long run, it’s not as much fun as staying 3-star or lower, and mingle with the locals thumbsup.gif .
But that is also a question about the individual and what you prefer. Some, or even many people choosing the 5-star, do it for privacy – they don’t want to mingle – and the 5-star prices are a polite way to sort the individuals so the “wrong audience” don’t come inside; like beside the room-price charging 300 baht for a fruit shake you can buy better and more fresh from a street vendor for 30 baht, or 1200 baht for a cheeseburger in the coffee shop; Okay it’s perfectly served by a uniformed waiter and comes with French fried included... whistling.gif
I have tried both, or rather 5-star, 3-star and way below no-star in backpacker rooms – in Thailand in that order – however, becoming little more comfortable by age, today I want a descent clean room with a bathroom better than a toilet with no flush and a combined cold water showerhead for both cleaning this-and-that, and some nice balcony or lounge to sit in, if I wish to read something. The 5-star may quickly becomes boring, now it’s been tried – perhaps something like the grass always seems greener at the other side of the fence; until you get there.
And if it becomes a choice with a fixed amount of money between 3 days at a 5-star and 10 days at a 3-star, I would certainly head for the last.
But it may even be more than that; the difference could be some 100+ days. When I rented my first Thai bungalow for a longer period – nice with bedroom, clean bathroom with hot-and-cold water, living room, small kitchen and a nice big balcony some 80 meters from the beach – my annual rent was the same as a beachfront bungalow for one-night only in the 5-star resort next door; Okay I did not have a private outdoor Jacuzzi and huge breakfast buffet included, but we used the same beach, sand and seawater...
And I believe that I had much more fun than those staying next door inside the resort’s walls – protecting their guests from all the dangers from the outside world – with highlights as the 5-o’clock mandatory cocktail drink by the pool, dressed-up for evening buffet, and a boring hotel bar at night...smile.png
  • Like 1

Hard to say if money WILL make you happy, but you can sure as hell bet that not having any WILL make you miserable, just as it will anywhere else, but most can and will find a way to blame it all on Thailand.

David needs some money. He needs to use it to pay for his fees for his MAN UP course.

After he mans up, he will be happy.

MissFarmGirl has a plan for this I am sure.

Don't worry David....I'm sure your hamster wheel will be unveiled soon! :D

• Like 2