Definition of 'working'

konisaan

Another digital pikey thread. If it involves getting paid it's work. If you don't get paid it's voluntary work which also requires a work permit unless you are a volunteer police officer. Only exceptions are stock market trading or being a non working director/shareholder of a company.

• Like 1

Only exceptions are stock market trading or being a non working director/shareholder of a company.

Never saw that law, can you show us it?

Ditto - I'm eagerly awaiting a link on that. This issue has been hashed out in excruciating detail with the classic 'even if you send one email to your boss from Swampy, you're still working in Thailand'. To say that it's reached 'ludicrous speed' is an understatement.

On the one hand you have dozens of anecdotal reports that no one is concerned if you generate an income for yourself but are not employed in Thailand selling to Thai customers, earning in Thai Baht, doing something that takes jobs from Thais, etc. One such post - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749038-with-a-thai-elite-visa-can-a-person-work-legally-as-a-digital-nomad/page-7#entry8314920

Then you have the alien labor act mentioning several times e.g. Section 18 having an 'employer' and 'wages' here, fee 'contributions' taken from the 'employees' wages, makes references to 'craftsmen' etc. - seems it's about manual work.

The same kind of physical work taking jobs from Thais that would make one persona non grata - http://www.thaivisa.com/392-0.html

'3. Those who, having entered the Kingdom to take up employment as laborers or practice other forms of manual work that require no special skill or training'

When applying for successive Ed visas sometimes students are asked to provide proof of income sourced from offshore as 'proof they aren't working'.

Then you have zero historical arrests of digital nomads too. So if you are intending to do remote telecommuting here and can show it's paid from an offshore source, you shouldn't be a problem.

But yes the definition of work is whatever the IO in front of you wants it to be. Luckily that's not as bad as having the usual suspects in this thread be your judge, jury and executioner.

jspill

Well as an aside as you appear to generate according to your comments vast amounts of money and have a luxurious lifestyle would it be possible for you to tell us how many Thai people you actually employ and how well you pay them or is that a question you cannot or will not answer?

• Like 1

jspill

Well as an aside as you appear to generate according to your comments vast amounts of money and have a luxurious lifestyle would it be possible for you to tell us how many Thai people you actually employ and how well you pay them or is that a question you cannot or will not answer?

That's a strange aside, I never commented on my income here or lifestyle. Why would I? The amount people earn doesn't give them any more or less right to live here. I only post about it being not 100% illegal to work remotely online, it's a grey area up to the interpretation of IOs.

I don't employ anyone. Why?

jspill post # 16

That's a strange aside, I never commented on my income here or lifestyle. Why would I? The amount people earn doesn't give them any more or less right to live here. I only post about it being not 100% illegal to work remotely online, it's a grey area up to the interpretation of IOs.

You might do well to look back at s a number of your earlier posts and the comments you made regarding your lifestyle(s)

A good memory is an advantage when conducting an on line campaign you know, as is a good memory for other types too.

jspill post # 16

You might do well to look back at s a number of your earlier posts and the comments you made regarding your lifestyle(s)

A good memory is an advantage when conducting an on line campaign you know, as is a good memory for other types too.

I only have 400 posts I'm sure I'd remember or you can link me. Ask me in the pub? This is off topic for this thread. Then let me know how the googling of me to find out my identity and report me for working online from an old thread is going.

Edited by jspill

Only exceptions are stock market trading or being a non working director/shareholder of a company.

Both are well documented on Thai Visa just go to the business forum.

jspill post # 16

I only have 400 posts I'm sure I'd remember or you can link me. Ask me in the pub? This is off topic for this thread. Then let me know how the googling of me to find out my identity and report me for working online from an old thread is going.

What's your thoughts on a possible ED visa clamp down, considering you have openly admitted that you abuse said visa?

• Like 1

What's your thoughts on a possible ED visa clamp down, considering you have openly admitted that you abuse said visa?

Wait for the wind to change direction tomorrow? There were possible clampdown threads on these boards in 2009, 2011, 2013... I lose count. The word 'abuse' is your opinion, but I don't attend lessons, no. I pay for tuition and have learnt Thai. If attendance were to be enforced (currently planned) it would be in order to prevent students working illegally in Thai based fields, as real estate brokers, personal trainers, tour guides, etc. I know I'm not doing what they want to prevent. That's what matters, not whether I was present in class.

In the unlikely event my school - which tells me not to bother attending as I can read and write already - told me I have to come as they need to submit attendance records and won't risk being inspected, then I'd switch to getting 3-4 double entry tourist visas in a row from Vientiane then a triple entry from Bali to break it up. That's the default recommendation at the mo.

Edited by jspill

According to the ThaiVisa lawyer, K. Somsak, sitting in your own house, on your on couch, with notebook paper and pencils, is illegal.

That is, if you are writing a novel on the paper. Yes, even if the novel has nothing to do with Thailand.

Illegal. Criminal. Evil.

• Like 1

There we go again:

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0366.pdf

Where does that mention stock market trading or being a non working director being perfectly fine? It includes anyone who exerts energy or knowledge, regardless of whether is is renumerated or not.

Whilst that law you refer to makes no mention of stock market traders or silent directorships and shareholdings whatsoever, and is consequently entirely irrelevant in this context aside from highlighting that there is, in fact, no such law... as I already pointed out to you, to take the letter of that text you point to 100% literally, as you are, inevitably means that one is acting illegally by hailing a taxi without a work permit.

Obviously, in practice, hailing a taxi without a Work Permit is not considered to be illegal by those that have any right to apply the law. Logically, therefore, one must conclude that the law is written in such a manner that it is up to the authorities to determine on a case by case basis.

So, since we're in the realm of spirit of the law vs letter of the law - can you point to a single case of a prosecution of a remote worker that deals exclusively with non Thai clients and is renumerated offshore under Visa and Labour laws anywhere in the history of Thailand, or indeed any other country in the world?

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

jspill post # 19.

A wonderful attempt to divert from the truth, however we do not need to search as we are all well aware of what you stand for and the posts you make that are indeed on a par with the works of the Grimm brothers of years gone by

In essence you appear to consider yourself above the laws of Thailand and we therefore must presume other countries too, would that prevailing attitude of yours to the laws of a land be part of the reason you are here perhaps?

Does this mean it's illegal for me to take the bins out even on bin day?

It can be very simple. Just apply a rule of the thumb : You are not allowed to work in anything, that a Thai person can do as well. Which means, if you empty the ashtrays into the bin, in the restaurant of your thai wife, you are already, definitely and absolutely breaking the law

You can be the cook's instructor on how to cook farang food properly, or be the cook yourself, as per definition a thai person does not have the knowledge needed to cook up farang receipes. But this must be officially secured by a work permit issued from the relevant government institution

and even then, once you step outside of your kitchen, you are not allowed to empty the bins !!! Because that's not covered by your work permit

Edited by crazygreg44

jspill post # 19.

A wonderful attempt to divert from the truth, however we do not need to search as we are all well aware of what you stand for and the posts you make that are indeed on a par with the works of the Grimm brothers of years gone by

In essence you appear to consider yourself above the laws of Thailand and we therefore must presume other countries too, would that prevailing attitude of yours to the laws of a land be part of the reason you are here perhaps?

I once replied to neverdie I live in a 10k condo when he said all digital nomads must be in box flats with a fan? Can't recall anything else. I just joined TV to challenge the assertion that working online is some dastardly illegal migration scheme. That and rustle the jimmies of some 69 year olds in the internet who can't link specific laws against telecommuting here as much as they'd like to. And no I don't have a criminal record back home.

Happy father's day for tomorrow!

So the usual come back Jspill, old, criminals, bitter etc

I recall another post where you said working on a tourist visa is ok.

I guess, if you like to lurk in the shadows no problem, but don't complain about how unfair the regs are when you feel you don't need to comply.