cricketer

Just paid B14,500 in a Bangkok Restaurant for:

• I Kg Lobster
  • 200g Tiger Prawns
  • I Fish
  • 200g Small Pawns
  • 4 Oyster
  • Spring Rolls

We didn't read the very small print on the menu which charged per so many grammes. A learning curve but not very happy.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

-cricketer-

I think you have not been to sea food restaurants or seafood booths until now.

You should have known, that you cannot get a Lobster, for 400+ ? Baht (per 100 Gramm it was)

That why I usually not eat much seafood - that prices, wink.png

sometimes a big fish, about 360.- Baht the kg, it was for me in a near seaside-shack restaurant in Patong. 2 - 3? years ago.

WOW!!!! I ran into the ocean with my scuba mask and got 3 kg lobsters for free. Then I spent 11 minutes digging for clams, finding 24. My nets got 2 oysters with nice peals inside, and prawns....i feed them to my lobsters.

• Like 2

The Seafood Resteraunt Scam is an old one. There were a few places that Taxi Drivers used to take people to, one was pretty infamous for crazy pricing, can't remember the name though.

The cost of The OPs meal is vastly over inflated.

why is it a scam

Because he spent $450 on a very small amount of food. It most have been a very swanky joint.

You can get a 2lb Maine Lobster at Morton's in Singapore for around $80 if I am remembering correctly.

I have never spent $450 in a restaurant. Not in Paris, London, Madrid... Not in the Eiffel Tower or the top of the Space Needle in Seattle...

Never.

As previously posted, the seafood scam is one of the oldest scams out there, but you could expect to pay that kind of money depending on the quality of the establishment, i would expect to pay between 2-2500 baht for that meal including a couple of beers and a coke at the restaurant i frequent in Cha Am, restaurant is in the fishermans village part of town so no thrills but everything super fresh in saltwater tanks and the food is excellent. Think the local lobsters are big crayfish though so they are cheaper then imported. ones. Not half as much flavour as Lobster i've eaten elsewhere.

We were picked up by a taxi in Soi 4, my Thai girlfriend, who is does not know BKK well, asked the driver if he knew of any good seafood restaurants. He took us to this place that had a similar name to a well known group of seafood restaurants. It was reasonable place but not overly upmarket. We just spent 2 months in Hua Hin, in most of the restaurants there that we visited, if you ordered a prawn dish you just paid the price asked and received as many prawns as they would give you, the same with the size of a fish.

This menu had a similar set up, for example one of the prawn dishes had a cost to it of B500 and in tiny writing and in a different area it stated per 40g, after the bill arrived I asked to see the menu again and the rest of the dishes were set out in a similar manner. I could see any point in arguing, it was there and I didn't look closely enough before we ordered.

Hua Hin is obviously much cheaper than BBK but B4,000 for a fish, I don't think so.

We were picked up by a taxi in Soi 4, my Thai girlfriend, who is does not know BKK well, asked the driver if he knew of any good seafood restaurants. He took us to this place that had a similar name to a well known group of seafood restaurants. It was reasonable place but not overly upmarket. We just spent 2 months in Hua Hin, in most of the restaurants there that we visited, if you ordered a prawn dish you just paid the price asked and received as many prawns as they would give you, the same with the size of a fish.

This menu had a similar set up, for example one of the prawn dishes had a cost to it of B500 and in tiny writing and in a different area it stated per 40g, after the bill arrived I asked to see the menu again and the rest of the dishes were set out in a similar manner. I could see any point in arguing, it was there and I didn't look closely enough before we ordered.

Hua Hin is obviously much cheaper than BBK but B4,000 for a fish, I don't think so.

Look here....don't let it go unanswered

There is lobster and then there is lobster. This is the Lobster Special at Cherry's.

Thats a painted Crayfish pal, how they get away with passing these off as lobsters i have no idea

Rock Lobster? :) It's a 495 baht menu. I don't think that anyone is overly disappointed at what they receive.

rocklobster_we_sa.jpg

There is lobster and then there is lobster. This is the Lobster Special at Cherry's.

Thats a painted Crayfish pal, how they get away with passing these off as lobsters i have no idea

Rock Lobster? smile.png It's a 495 baht menu. I don't think that anyone is overly disappointed at what they receive.

rocklobster_we_sa.jpg

Same thing mate, Rock lobsters just another name for a crayfish, No comparison to Maine Lobster. Dont think id pay 495 baht for a crayfish, but each to there own wink.png

Lobsters have Claws, Crayfish dont, i hope the OP got a proper lobster for his 14500 Baht

post-203707-0-18917700-1417564354_thumb.

post-203707-0-90717100-1417564578_thumb.

Edited by bigjules007

Rock Lobster? smile.png It's a 495 baht menu. I don't think that anyone is overly disappointed at what they receive.

rocklobster_we_sa.jpg

Same thing mate, Rock lobsters just another name for a crayfish, No comparison to Maine Lobster. Dont think id pay 495 baht for a crayfish, but each to there own wink.png

Lobsters have Claws, Crayfish dont, i hope the OP got a proper lobster for his 14500 Baht

attachicon.gifaspx.jpeg

attachicon.gifmaine-lobster2.jpg

You are not just paying for a Crayfish. There is the preparation and also an unlimited salad bar....and possibly a Starter and Dessert too. As stated, I don't think anyone has complained about not receiving a full sized lobster for 495 baht all inclusive.

Personally, I would not describe Cherry's as Gourmet, but for the price you cannot complain. Casa Pascal is better, but it's clear that he has to 'dumb down' his product, as otherwise he would simply have too few customers who could afford to pay the requisite cost.