Why is it raining in December ?

balo

Maybe my memory is bad but I can't remember we had grey skies and daily rainshowers in December last year or earlier. So when will it stop ?

I'm expecting a beach guest this weekend.

• Like 2

At 07.00 p.m. today (30 Nov), tropical depression SINLAKU was downgraded to a low pressure cell over Cambodia. During 1 to 2 December, More rains are expected over the lower Northeast and the East.The areas include Ubon Ratchathani, Si Saket, Surin, Buriram, Sa Kaeo, Prachin Buri, Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Bangkok and its vincinity, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Chumphon.

Another rather strong high pressure over southern China will extend to cover upper Thailand during 1-4 December, following with cool weather and dropping by 3-5 °C especially in the Northeast.

All your weather here: http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=61

• Like 2

Its by no means a Pattaya topic.

Flew from Bangkok to Khon Kaen today (coming from Pattaya).

The complete route was cloud covered.

It rained siginficantly here in upcountry two days ago while the rice was not completely harvested,

Quite a mess and unusual for this time of year.

On the other hand up to now the year was very dry in most parts of Thailand.

Rainy season almost completely dropped.

I remember news about a late (and catastrophic) monsun with flooding in India (where it appears earlier than in Thailand).

Edited by KhunBENQ

At 07.00 p.m. today (30 Nov), tropical depression SINLAKU was downgraded to a low pressure cell over Cambodia. During 1 to 2 December, More rains are expected over the lower Northeast and the East.The areas include Ubon Ratchathani, Si Saket, Surin, Buriram, Sa Kaeo, Prachin Buri, Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Bangkok and its vincinity, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Chumphon.

Another rather strong high pressure over southern China will extend to cover upper Thailand during 1-4 December, following with cool weather and dropping by 3-5 °C especially in the Northeast.

All your weather here: http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=61

They were right: heavy downpour this evening around 7 pm on the #7

Its by no means a Pattaya topic.

I remember news about a late (and catastrophic) monsun with flooding in India (where it appears earlier than in Thailand).

More big rain potentially on the way too. June 21 st India rubber boots on for at least 4 months, so pi..ed off wish I had drowned at times

It can rain any month, but December has a pretty low average rainfall. It seems the further inland you go, crossing Sukhumvit, the amount and frequency of rainfall increases ... at least based on phone conversations with someone who lives east of Sukhumvit and reports rain far more often than I experience it closer to the beach.

As noted below, this chart aggregates both rain and snow-fall in Pattaya. biggrin.png

average-rainfall-thailand-pattaya.png

Edited by Suradit69

Last year, it rained until early-mid December......

The local weather in December is in the northeast monsoon cycle, which is characterized by cold air coming down from China and Mongolia if there is a prolonged high pressure system up there...however whenever late season typhoons and tropical depressions hit the Philippines, the local Pattaya weather is also impacted....which can result in rain...

Edited by murga
  • Like 1

In the early to mid nineteen eighties, rainy season finished on the 30th November. High season started on 1st December.

You could expect rain plus, or minus two weeks either side.

Once tourism really started to surge ahead, the TAT in it's greed to get more people to Thailand, changed this date to the present; start of high season is 1st November.

They did this sometime in the early nineties. Course.......nobody told the weather.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1