Passwords and the trouble they cause.

watcharacters

I bought my first MAC lap over 10 years ago. I'm still an illiterate user and I admit that. I've bought a bunch of Mac products in the meantime and alway buy Applecare as a part of my purchase.

Now, like it or not, any sign on to an Apple login is done blind. I take the time to tell Apple advisors that his is wrong. The option to have the password shown or not shown should be up to me the user.

The company response is that we try to protect your security. One recent senior advisor said we reserve the option to deny the use of your credit card and I told him that's true on your site but also under no circumstances will Apple take any responsibility for a security breach. If my identify is beached, I told him Apple will show no responsibility at all. And that's that's the legal situation as I understand it.

The credit card company will deal with any credit breach. Apple will only deal with reputation as in stock price and in moving forward as a strong company. I'm also an aapl investor so I look at this from both sides.

I recently signed up for a tripadvisor.com site and I was surprised to fine it asked for a password and didn't even ask for a confirmation of the entered password. How could I be certain what I imputed with I could only see dots?

Some time back when looking for diagnostic help on Apple diagnostic it allowed for the option of showing the password.

The option to show or not to show a password should be up to the user. In the past when most users sat in a cafe I realize why this situation developed but now it is far beyond internet cafe time.

A user should have the option to hide or show a password.

Your thoughts?

Sorry, are you talking about the fact that when you type in a password, you see dots instead of the characters you typed?

If so, your beef is with the whole world, not Apple. It's a standard to protect your password from prying eyes and cams.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, are you talking about the fact that when you type in a password, you see dots instead of the characters you typed?

If so, your beef is with the whole world, not Apple. It's a standard to protect your password from prying eyes and cams.

There are numerous examples where you can choose to display the password while entering.

And there are situations where this is useful.

For example now when I am sitting in my private environment, no prying eyes or cams wink.png

There is a reasonable risk that the current keyboard layout is different from what you see on the key caps.

This might be the one and only time that your password worked smile.png