Just bought an Isuzu Vcross space cab 2.5 4wd. Why do Thais go for the 2wd?

Kenny202

Just ordered this yesterday. Ended up around 700k baht with insurance everything so very happy.

One thing I can't work out is why most farming people in my area (Chaiyaphum) go for the 2wd versions?

The 4wd compared to the 2wd apples for apples really isn't much more (around 50k baht)?

I also notice many of the 2wd pickups here (Highlander and Pre runner) are high and look like 4wd but aren't.

I have been assured by a few people the 4wd version of the Dmax uses very little if any more fuel than the 2wd

(Normal road driving).

To me it seems like most people are prepared to get the tricked up fancy looking 2wd version with stickers,

chrome, better stereo etc at around the same price as they would get a basic model 4wd. Am I missing

something?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few contributing factors.

You are certainly right about "looks" - that is extremely important in a Thai market.

Most pickups are available in standard 2wd or 2wd "hi-rider" versions and 4wd versions.

You need to bear in mind that the 4wd systems on a pickup are VERY basic and offer minimal advantages - especially over the "hi-rise" 2wd which has the same advantages of good road view, and that extra bit of ground clearance that you so often need when negotiating the roads and road works of Thailand. in fact for the rural roads of Thailand they are just about the perfect vehicle.

With the higher vehicles you do however sacrifice a bit of safety and handling - the Vigo hi-runner amorously failed the moose test in Sweden.

There is also the saving in cost.

• Like 1

Four wheel drive has a lot more traction because the front wheels have the weight of the engine on them. A two wheel drive has only the lightweight bed over the rear axle. When the rear wheels with little weight on them try to push the front wheels which are weighted down, you are going nowhere if it's slippery unless you have four wheel drive.

Well I guess coming from Australia I am conditioned to having a 4WD. And I got bogged in the missus driveway last time

I was here after some heavy boggy rain :-). Where we live there are some extremely boggy clay roads in the wet.

We like to go up the national park and swim at the waterfall and it is all dirt (sometimes mud) roads.

My girl woke me one morning early (which is totally unusual for her to be up) to go to some shindig at the local Wat.

Ended up on a muddy clay road through a rice paddy barely big enough for a car and the 2wd pickup was sliding

all over the place in fact nearly lost it a couple of times. Turns out the shindig was about a free feed :-)

So, in coming on here on your high pony, you kind of look a bit silly having wasted money... IMO of course. wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA8eASoOck

Whats that supposed to mean on my high pony? Like my question was arrogant?

I asked a simple logical question why Thais prefer 2wd over 4wd? I assume there must be a reason

not that I am smarter than everyone else. Are u for real or have I misread your reply?

• Like 1

So, in coming on here on your high pony, you kind of look a bit silly having wasted money... IMO of course. wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA8eASoOck

I asked a simple logical question why Thais prefer 2wd over 4wd? I assume there must be a reason
not that I am smarter than everyone else. Are u for real or have I misread your reply?

No, I don't think your question was arrogant, but this remark "To me it seems like most people are prepared to get the tricked up fancy looking 2wd version with stickers, chrome, better stereo etc at around the same price as they would get a basic model 4wd." was.

I used to have 4WD, on buying a new car switched to 2WD since I barely used it. All in all I have had the new car for 2 years now, and just twice wished I had 4WD. Not worth the extra money IMO.

Four wheel drive has a lot more traction because the front wheels have the weight of the engine on them. A two wheel drive has only the lightweight bed over the rear axle. When the rear wheels with little weight on them try to push the front wheels which are weighted down, you are going nowhere if it's slippery unless you have four wheel drive.

A bit over simplistic. If the pickup is a 4 dr the weight distribution is different from the basic 2 dr style. regardless of the number of wheels driving. Most pick ups are "part-time" 4wd so they are usually driven in 2wd mode anyway.

Adhesion depends on weight, but also on the kind of suspension and tires....i've driven pickups since the 1970s and the handling on wet/loose surfaces has improved in leaps and bounds.

in the end though a 4WD pick up has no diff lock on the front and only LSD on the rear so if a wheel loses traction at the front...that's it.

A lot depends on what you intend to use your car for - some posers seem to be making assumptions based on their own limited suburban lifestyles - On top of driving to work, I travel extensively around Thailand and Lao and many of the places I've been ,I wouldn't have got to in a standard ground clearance 2WD - or probably not even in a standard 4WD....i even use 4WD going to work sometimes - the flooding and roadworks around the industrial estates ca be pretty challenging at times.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

It also depends if you are a city or a country driver most of the time.

We bought a Ford Ranger 2.5 turbo 4WD 13 years ago when we lived in BKK because we knew we would be moving to rural Thailand where the roads were not so good and we would be hauling building materials for the house etc and it was a good idea at that time.

Since then however the house is finished, most of the rural roads are far better and we still have the Ford with 314,xxx on the clock and still going strong. If we buy another pickup it will be the Ford Ranger 2.2 auto Hi rider as we rarely use the 4WD any more.

A lot depends on what you intend to use your car for - some posers seem to be making assumptions based on their own limited suburban lifestyles - On top of driving to work, I travel extensively around Thailand and Lao and many of the places I've been ,I wouldn't have got to in a standard ground clearance 2WD - or probably not even in a standard 4WD....i even use 4WD going to work sometimes - the flooding and roadworks around the industrial estates ca be pretty challenging at times.

My thoughts exactly. I do live in the country with lots of muddy narrow roads and as stated got bogged in the muddy pond

of a driveway of my girls house let alone some of the other places and water crossings we do. I understand about the lock

on the front wheels as I couldn't believe in my Landrover Defender back home a 4wd actually effectively was only a 2WD...

but having said that to me the extra security of the 4WD is worth the extra small cost and certainly more important than

an in car DVD or electric seats or Steering wheel controls.

If I lived in Pattaya or Bangkok of course would be a different story

No, I don't think your question was arrogant, but this remark "To me it seems like most people are prepared to get the tricked up fancy looking 2wd version with stickers, chrome, better stereo etc at around the same price as they would get a basic model 4wd." was.

I used to have 4WD, on buying a new car switched to 2WD since I barely used it. All in all I have had the new car for 2 years now, and just twice wished I had 4WD. Not worth the extra money IMO.

Well "IMO" you telling me I am on my high horse and telling me I look "silly" is out and out rude, whether you add an "IMO" or not.

Yes it is your opinion and your judgement of my post is completely wrong. Tired of people like you on these forums. I'm surprised

you didn't use the word "we" as if you speak for the whole community.

Well "IMO" you telling me I am on my high horse and telling me I look "silly" is out and out rude, whether you add an "IMO" or not.

Yes it is your opinion and your judgement of my post is completely wrong. Tired of people like you on these forums. I'm surprised

you didn't use the word "we" as if you speak for the whole community.

I did not tell you you're on your high horse, I was merely translating for somebody else. And no, I don't resort to a personal attack or insults here.

And yes, I agree, this 'we' talk is ridiculous.

Edited by stevenl

You are certainly right about "looks" - that is extremely important in a Thai market.

Most pickups are available in standard 2wd or 2wd "hi-rider" versions and 4wd versions.

You need to bear in mind that the 4wd systems on a pickup are VERY basic and offer minimal advantages - especially over the "hi-rise" 2wd which has the same advantages of good road view, and that extra bit of ground clearance that you so often need when negotiating the roads and road works of Thailand. in fact for the rural roads of Thailand they are just about the perfect vehicle.

With the higher vehicles you do however sacrifice a bit of safety and handling - the Vigo hi-runner amorously failed the moose test in Sweden.

Traction is not a minimal advantage.

This was discussed at length on an earlier thread and I've put forward a couple of reasons why it's not that much of a bonus here too.

Rather than simply gainsaying, if you have a point to make, why not put it forward? Just contradicting people hardly contibutes to the discussion.

My thoughts exactly. I do live in the country with lots of muddy narrow roads and as stated got bogged in the muddy pond

of a driveway of my girls house let alone some of the other places and water crossings we do. I understand about the lock

on the front wheels as I couldn't believe in my Landrover Defender back home a 4wd actually effectively was only a 2WD...

but having said that to me the extra security of the 4WD is worth the extra small cost and certainly more important than

an in car DVD or electric seats or Steering wheel controls.

If I lived in Pattaya or Bangkok of course would be a different story

Surely your not saying your defender didn't have diff locks???? I've had several "Series" Landrovers and a Defender and they all had locking diffs

Edited by wilcopops

This was discussed at length on an earlier thread and I've put forward a couple of reasons why it's not that much of a bonus here too.

Rather than simply gainsaying, if you have a point to make, why not put it forward? Just contradicting people hardly contibutes to the discussion.

Point made. Traction is not a small advantage. Expecially in floods, mud or hazardous road conditions. Get it?

Surprised nobody have mentioned the difference in TAX ! I have a 4 door V-cross,and the tax is about 8000 if I remember it correctly. I did not know that beforehand;came as a bit of a chock to me!

I may be wrong but don't think there is a difference in tax between 2 and 4 WD. There is though between 2 and 4 doors.
  • Like 1