Are there any mexican restaurants in Pattaya

Me Yank

I think JT is correct. There are just not enough North Americans living in Pattaya. Whereas nearly every resto offers English breakfast. That tells you that dominant source of residents. How often do you see American breakfast on a resto sign or menu? And it's never even close to an American-Cdn breakfast. I was recently pointed to Casa Pascal for NorthAm breakfast. Again, with the fried rosti. (I hear they do indeed have real fried potatoes sometimes.) So it seems there are not enough NorthAm types here and therefore Mexican food of any description/quality is but a dream.

• Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Bangkok this week and tried La Monita.

What a shame they don't a branch in Pattaya.

Very nice Mexican food.

I'd love to see that too.

But maybe they're smart not to expand here.

I can just here the endless groaning about their prices now ...

I'm really not sure there is enough of a market here to support them.

It was expensive.

I think the bill was 1500 baht for two fajitas and a couple of fresh juices.

But the fajitas were excellent.

The place was packed and doing a roaring trade and this was a mid week night.

I have spent a few afternoons racking up a 1000+ baht bill in there alone. Love those strong drinks!

Tequila gives me a different buzz than beer. Last time I ended up buying myself and the gf new phones. Lol

Edited by BKKSnowBird
  • Like 1

Very nice Mexican food.

It was expensive.

I have spent a few afternoons racking up a 1000+ baht bill in there alone. Love those strong drinks!

Tequila gives me a different buzz than beer. Last time I ended up buying myself and the gf new phones. Lol

After reading all the posts, I believe for the price a Taco Bell in Pattaya would satisfy the need for questionable Mexican food.

I think JT is correct. There are just not enough North Americans living in Pattaya. Whereas nearly every resto offers English breakfast. That tells you that dominant source of residents. How often do you see American breakfast on a resto sign or menu? And it's never even close to an American-Cdn breakfast. I was recently pointed to Casa Pascal for NorthAm breakfast. Again, with the fried rosti. (I hear they do indeed have real fried potatoes sometimes.) So it seems there are not enough NorthAm types here and therefore Mexican food of any description/quality is but a dream.

If you rely only on "North Americans," then it would be difficult to make a profit. La Monita, the place I think is the best "Mexican restaurant" in Thailand, does not rely on North Americans. In fact, every time I have been there it has been packed with Thais! Yes, Thais--maybe 80% Thais and 20% farangs. So, it is possible to make the concept work here, but you have to find a way to get Thais hooked on the food. And you have to have enough Thais with money to spend--easy to find in Bangkok but probably harder here. On another point, I just ate as Sue's Place in Pattaya. I found the food "dry" and virtually devoid of any Mexican spices (which seems to be standard for the places here that claim they are making Mexican food), but it is probably the best place for a Mexican fix that we have (better than the old Sunrise Taco place and Mikes and Sams, IMHO). But that is not saying much. Given what we have, I continue to wish for Taco Bell to come here. I know Taco Bell's food is not that good and would make most dead Mexicans turn over in their graves, but it is not that good in a good way :) Taco Bell fills a niche. La Monita fills another niche.

• Like 1

Yes I agree you need trendy Thais as well as North Americans. Probably not enough here compared to Bangkok. Another point on North Americans. North American TOURISTS are mostly not coming here to eat high priced even decent Mexican food! That are mostly going to eat Thai food or the hopeless ones, McDonald's type stuff.

Edited by Jingthing

Very nice Mexican food.

It was expensive.

It is busy lunchtimes with the local business community.

I love their food however prices have crept up significantly in the last year or two.

Still worth it but not as often as I did previously at the new prices.

I doubt Pattaya would support a busy place like this for Mexican food sadly.

If you rely only on "North Americans," then it would be difficult to make a profit. La Monita, the place I think is the best "Mexican restaurant" in Thailand, does not rely on North Americans. In fact, every time I have been there it has been packed with Thais! Yes, Thais--maybe 80% Thais and 20% farangs. So, it is possible to make the concept work here, but you have to find a way to get Thais hooked on the food. And you have to have enough Thais with money to spend--easy to find in Bangkok but probably harder here. On another point, I just ate as Sue's Place in Pattaya. I found the food "dry" and virtually devoid of any Mexican spices (which seems to be standard for the places here that claim they are making Mexican food), but it is probably the best place for a Mexican fix that we have (better than the old Sunrise Taco place and Mikes and Sams, IMHO). But that is not saying much. Given what we have, I continue to wish for Taco Bell to come here. I know Taco Bell's food is not that good and would make most dead Mexicans turn over in their graves, but it is not that good in a good way smile.png Taco Bell fills a niche. La Monita fills another niche.

Yes there were mainly thais when I visited La Monita as well but as you say Bangkok is a different kettle of fish to Pattaya.

It is western prices really.

Well one thing you can do in Pattaya that is not all that bad (and is not all that expensive).

Make your own Mexican Bean Nachos

Buy a can of refried beans

Buy tostada chips

Buy a small sour cream

Buy a small salsa,or Tabasco sauce

Make some Nachos

Sprinkle a little cheese on top

Put in the oven or toaster for 5 minutes and your done...

Pretty good really for a Mexican fix..

The Hard Rock Hotel makes about the best Chicken Bean Cheese nachos I have ever had.

I forget the price but they certainly were not cheap...

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

Well one thing you can do in Pattaya that is not all that bad (and is not all that expensive).

Buy tostada chips

Buy a small sour cream

Make some Nachos

The Hard Rock Hotel makes about the best Chicken Bean Cheese nachos I have ever had.

Good idea.

Buy tostada chips

Buy a small sour cream

Make some Nachos

The nachos at the Hard Rock are pretty good! Don't forget the guacamole! Makro is selling huge avacados from the King's farm in OZ right now. 3 huge ones for 100B.

Wifey does a great job with tacos and fajitas.

Chili Verde would be a hit here with the Thais I would guess. Tender pork chunks simmered in a mild tomatillo/poblano/jalapeno sauce.

I wonder if those items grow here?

attachicon.gifchili verde.jpg

Only fresh Thailand grown jalapeno sold in some markets here. Never saw fresh poblano or tomatillo,

I wouldn't assume what mass market Thais would like.

Presumably they like spicy food but foreign spices not so much.

Edited by Jingthing

Chili Verde would be a hit here with the Thais I would guess. Tender pork chunks simmered in a mild tomatillo/poblano/jalapeno sauce.

In nothern Thailand, I have seen Thais eat shredded pork with some type of green chile sauce, but I do not think it was based on tomatillo.

I know, for a fact, that you can grow tomatillos here. That is one plant that seems to thrive in Thailand (can't say the same for most Mexican peppers). I do not think anyone has been able to grow poblano peppers here. To me, the poblano is essential as it makes a wonderful sauce.....also used for chile rellenos. Some people near Chiang Mai are growing jalapeno peppers.

Another dish that Asians might like is puerco pibil, which is made with a special seed (annato) that you can find in the Philippines (Filipinos like that spice). I love puerco pibil and have never seen it on a menu at any Mexican restaurant in Asia.

I would think Thais would like stuffed peppers (maybe with cheese and pork). Chiles Rellenos! I once made that but using the large Thai peppers (if only we had poblano). I got Thais to try it, and they loved them.........so.

Fish taco.......probably another dish Thais would eat.

Hope springs eternal! Until then, as long as I am in Pattaya-Jomtien, I will be forced to wish for Taco Bell or make it myself.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

In nothern Thailand, I have seen Thais eat shredded pork with some type of green chile sauce, but I do not think it was based on tomatillo.

I know, for a fact, that you can grow tomatillos here. That is one plant that seems to thrive in Thailand (can't say the same for most Mexican peppers). I do not think anyone has been able to grow poblano peppers here. To me, the poblano is essential as it makes a wonderful sauce.....also used for chile rellenos. Some people near Chiang Mai are growing jalapeno peppers.

Another dish that Asians might like is puerco pibil, which is made with a special seed (annato) that you can find in the Philippines (Filipinos like that spice). I love puerco pibil and have never seen it on a menu at any Mexican restaurant in Asia.

I would think Thais would like stuffed peppers (maybe with cheese and pork). Chiles Rellenos! I once made that but using the large Thai peppers (if only we had poblano). I got Thais to try it, and they loved them.........so.

Fish taco.......probably another dish Thais would eat.

Hope springs eternal! Until then, as long as I am in Pattaya-Jomtien, I will be forced to wish for Taco Bell or make it myself.

Why did ST close in Jomtien? Lost lewase?

Tiggle Bitties Tavern, 3rd Rd. Soi 17 (Soi Land-office), South Pattaya

was recommended by my Californian friends. The boss, who is a Thai lady, lived for a couple of years in Los Angeles and learned to cook Mexican food, there.

However, my favorite Mexican restaurant is located in the East side. A little away, at the East lakeshore of Lake Maprachan, about in the middle.

I forgot the name, but I guess that there is only one Mexican restaurant out there.

Maybe it's not 100% original Mexican, even though Mexican food is multifarious. Anyway the best place for my palate around here.

Ive been to Tigglebitties a few times, i think that the Thai lady lived in California for about 25 years with American husband and children, they are all now in Pattaya. Being from UK I know nothing about Mexican food, but it tastes alright to me !!

was recommended by my Californian friends. The boss, who is a Thai lady, lived for a couple of years in Los Angeles and learned to cook Mexican food, there.

However, my favorite Mexican restaurant is located in the East side. A little away, at the East lakeshore of Lake Maprachan, about in the middle.

I forgot the name, but I guess that there is only one Mexican restaurant out there.

Maybe it's not 100% original Mexican, even though Mexican food is multifarious. Anyway the best place for my palate around here.

Ive been to Tigglebitties a few times, i think that the Thai lady lived in California for about 25 years with American husband and children, they are all now in Pattaya. Being from UK I know nothing about Mexican food, but it tastes alright to me !!

Thank you for the tip. Will give it a try.

Yeah I miss good Mexican food. Grew up in SoCal, and have done countless trips

down the Baja. Truly one of the great pleasures in life were the push cart taco

stands there , with endless sauces and mystery meat tacos.... What a great idea for

here. And as someone said, would be easy to cross over to the Thai market if

fish tacos were offered.... Have eaten at Miguels many times in Chiang Mai.

Service is great, and the food is fine. The guy that set it up , Mike, used to run

a Mexican restaurant in SoCal so he knows his stuff. It is now run by a very pleasant

Canadian guy.

• Like 1

Funny thing is that in La Monita Bangkok has a Mexican far better than any offered in London.

It amuses me that the demand for better Mexican food is higher in Bangkok....its a shame it has not been so in Pattaya.

Funny thing is that in La Monita Bangkok has a Mexican far better than any offered in London.

It amuses me that the demand for better Mexican food is higher in Bangkok....its a shame it has not been so in Pattaya.

That surprises me considering the number of resident Americans in London.

• Like 1

To me, giving the current Mexican food situation, I would love for Taco Bell to come over here. At least we know what we are going to get (a strange version of Tex-Mex) at a fair price. I actually miss Taco Bell smile.png But do not let that fool you. I know what really good Mexican food taste like. I miss it!

+1

I think you are referring to Casa De On. They have another one in Rayong Industrial as well. It is not anything like the Mexican food I have in California, but the quality is good. I am pretty sure they use Thai chilis, so it tastes a lot different.

Indeed JT.

The quality at La Monita surprised me....and I had been a fan of Charly Browns before to give it context.

When I hear you speak of the places in San Fran I hope somewhere similar opens up in Thailand!

Been to San Francisco many time and never looked for a Mexican Restaurant. Always looked for Chinese or Italian. Had great food at North Beach Restaurant.

Indeed JT.

The quality at La Monita surprised me....and I had been a fan of Charly Browns before to give it context.

When I hear you speak of the places in San Fran I hope somewhere similar opens up in Thailand!

Been to San Francisco many time and never looked for a Mexican Restaurant. Always looked for Chinese or Italian. Had great food at North Beach Restaurant.

That's a great place but you missed out.

The world famous "Mission District Burrito" came from San Francisco.