Do you have to be Retired for a Non-0 Retirement Visa?

Well, here is another story regarding Expats. For the past 5 years I've had a Retirement Non-O Visa. Never had a problem, until 3 nights ago arriving on an early morning flight from Dubai. walked up to the Fast Track counter as I have done every 29 days and there was no one else there but me.

The IO began flipping through my PP and said, I see you come and go every 28 days. I replied, yes I do, I'm still working 6 months out of the year. She then informed me that it was not legal to have a retirement visa and work. I explained that I did not work in Thailand but resided here, even produced my handy dandy Yellow Family Book, which she didn't even open, just told me I need to apply for a Marrige Visa and not renew my Retirement visa. So, when did the rules change, or am I in the wrong??

Signed confused!!!!!

• Like 1

I am sure many people do it, but the immigration officer may have a point. When I tried to apply for a retirement visa in Singapore which had been my place of residence for many years they would not let me proceed with my application although I had the police report, bank letter and health cert, as my employment pass for Singapore had not expired, still had a few weeks to run. Told me to come back when the pass had expired as I was employed in Singapore.

The irony was that you are only able to apply in Singapore if you are resident in that country and once the employment pass expired I wouldn't technically be resident

Eventually came to Thailand and got everything done here

thailand, where every IO can ask you for more papers because they got the power to play around like that as there are no uniform rules, or there are, but they interpret them like they want

a bit like a red light in this country... you should stop, but if some drivers deceide it is not for them ...

• Like 2

No such animal, as a "Non O Retirement Visa".

Are you asking about the "One year Extension of stay ----based on retirement----"? That is not a visa..it is an extension.

You can ask for a 90 day non O and then later, apply for a retirement extension.

Edited by slipperylobster

Next time turn up with pipe and slippers.

Where do they get these sub standard immigration officers from?

-------------------------

Kings birthday...... big holiday.

All the senior officers are taking time off.

Only the junior officers and the "back up crew" are working now.

• Like 1

I think the Io refers to the reason not being correct , as he refers to his working status outside Thailand (not wise to expose that ) for the O visa based to retirement , technically Io is right so, but when not mensioned the working poster would be right ..... just up to the almighty rights granted to Immigration officers .

Simply said if you apply for any visa (or other status) for wich they can prouve applicant is not correct or true , refusal can be the result.

A a non tourist is not a tourist

B a worker is not a retiree

C a non really journalist is not a journalist etc. I think they see it that way ..... even when the laws do not exclude it by word , it supposed to be in the line "REASON " for the visa demand

Like others say above , do not tell them to much ....." it can be used against you "whistling.gif

Edited by david555

OP --- my suggestion ... find a first class Translator - who can take a two paragraph written account from you .. describing exactly your situation - where you work -- where you live... why you come and go... that you do not work in Thailand - period... That you have just found it a good situation to live in Thailand with your mate and that you have done this for a number of years,,, etc.

Or however you wish to phrase all this... Have the draft translation tested by using Thai friends or family --- tell them you are serious - please tell me what this says in Thai... take note of any consistent non understandings - take it back to the translator and work on it again ...

Print the final in Thai and English --- keep it in your travel documents... - email a copy to your smartphone / Tablet...

Rehearse in Thai ... "Please read this" ...

My suggestion is quite serious. .

Don't know what she is on about. I first obtained my retirement visa in 84 and travelled back only once a year, to obtain an extension of stay, whilst working in Oz. Have never been asked about work, nor have I been refused an extension, I would ask to speak with her superior as clearly what she is alleging is totally wrong.

Are you asking about the "One year Extension of stay ----based on retirement----"? That is not a visa..it is an extension.

You can ask for a 90 day non O and then later, apply for a retirement extension.

Check your facts the Non-o visa can be issued for several reasons for entering Thailand marriage, retirement, at one time visiting friends, visiting family.

Check your facts the Non-o visa can be issued for several reasons for entering Thailand marriage, retirement, at one time visiting friends, visiting family.

Slippery is correct about Retirement ...

Only the Non Imm Category 'O-A' visa is labeled as Retirement and as Long Stay. This is noted on the Royal Thai Embassy website in Washington D.C. ... As is the information on the purpose and issuance of a Non Imm 'O' Visa - either Single or Multiple Entry.

This 'O-A' Visa has to be issued in one's home country at a Thai Embassy or Consulate.

Sometimes people speak of an 'O' visa as being for Retirement -- this is likely because the Non Imm 'O' is the most often used form of Visa from which one changes status to Extension of Stay Based on Retirement.

And since starting the process from a Non Imm 'O' status one's passport and original Visa sticker may have stamps that reflect Non Imm 'O'... but this not the exact status.... Extension of Stay is the exact status - Based on Retirement at that point.

Extensions of Stay Based Based on Retirement or Marriage and a couple of other things are issued at the local Thai Immigration office.... when presented with proper financial requirements, completed forms and when beginning the process while in Thailand with a permission to stay obtained by having been issued a Non Immigrant Visa -- most commonly an 'O' Visa.

No Visas are issued inside Thailand - Except for a Single Entry 90 day Non Immigrant 'O' Visa - and that is done for the primary purpose of beginning the process of changing status to an Extension of Stay Based on Retirement. And that Non Imm 'O' is most commonly issued at Bkk Thai Immigration.

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

OP --- my suggestion ... find a first class Translator - who can take a two paragraph written account from you .. describing exactly your situation - where you work -- where you live... why you come and go... that you do not work in Thailand - period... That you have just found it a good situation to live in Thailand with your mate and that you have done this for a number of years,,, etc.

Or however you wish to phrase all this... Have the draft translation tested by using Thai friends or family --- tell them you are serious - please tell me what this says in Thai... take note of any consistent non understandings - take it back to the translator and work on it again ...

Print the final in Thai and English --- keep it in your travel documents... - email a copy to your smartphone / Tablet...

Rehearse in Thai ... "Please read this" ...

My suggestion is quite serious. .

Might be easier just to keep stum on employment issues in circumstances akin to the OP's.

Edited by OJAS

I stand corrected, I have an Extention of stay stamp based on retirement good for 1 yr., and a multiple re-entry stamp, same as I've had for yrs.

Well, here is another story regarding Expats. For the past 5 years I've had a Retirement Non-O Visa. Never had a problem, until 3 nights ago arriving on an early morning flight from Dubai. walked up to the Fast Track counter as I have done every 29 days and there was no one else there but me.

Did you booked a fast track service or had other entitlement to use it? If not maybe that's what irked the officer.

Did you booked a fast track service or had other entitlement to use it? If not maybe that's what irked the officer.

Just by stating that he's on a 28/28 rotation in and out of Thailand, I worked out that the OP is probably 'front-of-the-bus' status with Emirates (or whoever) by now and well entitled to use the Fast Track.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just by stating that he's on a 28/28 rotation in and out of Thailand, I worked out that the OP is probably 'front-of-the-bus' status with Emirates (or whoever) by now and well entitled to use the Fast Track.

Yep, 28/28 and fly Business class on Emirates.I think I just had a one off IO, 99% of the time they are very friendly and some even ask about the work location and ask if its really dangerous to work in the Middle East.

I am sure the OP knows what the meaning of the word retirement is so it is a case of foot in mouth disease. a lot of people would of noted what happened and will be careful what they say. I must admit I thought it was funny when I read the post .

My last entry at Suvarnabhumi on a Retirement extension about 2 months ago (coming back from work...shhhh!). The old Immi guy asked me, 'How long you stay?' even before he finished flipping to the page with the reason I could enter. I answered, 'Oh.. about 2 or 3 weeks,' (which was close to the truth). To which he responded, while still looking for the Retirement extension and re-entry permit, 'Too long!'

He stamped me in correctly and neither of us paid no mind to his biased and totally incorrect initial assumption that I was a digital pikey.