is it ok to tell children about santa claus here

opalred

My 8 year old daughter said the other day, someone at school said that Farang tell lies and that there is no father Christmas. I told her that ''this is because Santa Claus only comes to Children with Farang mum or dads''. Then she threw is a few questions that is indicating this will probably be the last year she is going to buy it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i always remember the happyness when open my presents as a child at xmas then lucky again to see the smiles

on my children and then grandchildrens faces openning there santa presents

now i might be selfish to again want to experance the smiles on the children here

but if i carry out the requests of the kids letters i have read to santa wanting dogs and cats as presents

the mums and dads next year will be out with sticks to chase santa away

for the person who said Xmas not celebrated in Thailand . . . how about

Chanthaburi - difficult to avoid Xmas here, Roman Catholic cathedral and five RC churches within 20 minutes of our home; our small town has Catholic church, junior school and high school. Two more of each in Chan city.

The Chan city Xmas parade including Santa will be shown on CTV the provincial tv channel, as is the Easter parade.

We go every year to our local parade, lovely event in a small town.

Ms O'Steen was not keen on Xmas being introduced to our home, came up with a good compromise, new year gifts. OK with me, and no objection from our daughter.

Santa will be along soon . . . "

tumblr_lwi09vwwCG1r8w5s5o7_500.jpgtumblr_lwi09vwwCG1r8w5s5o4_500.jpg

No Santa here, but you get the idea

Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception

Chanthaburi city

There has been a Catholic church on this site since 1711.

tumblr_lwr1ctG2VC1r8eeh1o1_250.jpgtumblr_lwr1ctG2VC1r8eeh1o6_500.jpg

Edited by gomangosteen

"the children"

Which children are these? Are you referring to "your" children, or to "random" children" who are milling around? "The" children - oh, please. You, and the children, must be blind not to have noticed men dressed as Santa Claus. How do you explain those guys to the children? Do you have any other interaction with the children, except to worry about the inclusion of Santa Claus in their lives. If you do, you should act as a caring and nurturing adult. If you are not, perhaps you should mind your own business.

Believe Santa use to drink milk with his cake... thumbsup.gif

Otherwise it sounds Okay – Santa seems like coming almost everywhere in Thailand now – but how will Santa get the letters from under the tree in due time to prepare the presents...? smile.png

Edited by khunPer

i always remember when reading some of the replys when i was a kid my father had a farm near sydney there was a orphanage near that had kids from uk sent there as parents were killed in the war

my parents and people in area would make toys and cakes etc to take and give from santa every year to the children

now those pommy gits would be the ones retired here now winging wasting money on santa

next year i have decided will be making toys to give to village kids from santa

• Like 1

'Santa' is not part of their culture.

All you are really doing is opening the floodgate of 'I want' - something that is already bad enough.

It's the OP's culture though and he has the right to express his culture, no?

And of course, Thai kids, like any other kids pick up on the magic of Christmas. If you've ever been lucky enough to experience that magic, and yes it is all a myth, then Christmas becomes a very special time of year.

I'm not religious and don't believe in a particular god but the Christmas message of goodwill to all men is worth preserving.

what has santa to do with religion he comes from a ice igloo in the north pole he has no black hair and wiskers and to big to be going down on knees 3times aday in the snow and sleep with goats he donnt wear skull cap and cross around his neck he is a happy and jollyman with his deers

• Like 1

I think most Thai kids already know about Santa. They do have a TV right?

I don't live in Thailand Full-Time ... but have been here for many a Christmas ... and a month either side.

Never seen Santa on a Thai TV ... and I sat through a lot of their shit TV ... facepalm.gif

But they see the xmas decorations in all the department stores.

In the school that I teach they have all sorts of Christmas activities and Santa comes to assembly on Christmas day and the kids sing jingle bells.

Suradit's comment about lying really only go part way. You see lying and deception is completely necessary for our survival not just when we want to be diplomatic. A human that cannot lie is not a human. Virtually all children, as countless diagnostic tests have shown, have learnt to lie by the age of about six in order to gain an advantage. The lie of Santa and the like is so insignificantly small that it is expected. Other lies that some adults like to pretend are wrong are also fundamental to a child's development. Britman will raise children who are confused in their relationship with him. They will still lie of course which will confuse him more and probably lead him to blame the mother. Moralists and the seemingly upstanding are always more unpleasant than others who see no problem in being ordinarily human.

you realise that Xmas is not celebrated in Thailand so the children do not know. You start teaching them about Santa they will expect presses every year, tell their friended and their friends will start bothering their parents, best to just joke about it not be seriouse.

Write a letter back to the kids in anevelope and say sorry no more new members,club is full.

Where have you been living for the last ten years,of course they know.

Your english has improved. Not perfect but alot better.

Yours still needs work.[/

sorry read some of the posts on all forums very uneducationallley go home with a learned brain

maybe find about ladyboys because i donnt know never felt experince

I am an anti-theist who sees nothing wrong with my kids, who include four Buddhist stepchildren, enjoying Christmas - not as a religious festival (which it clearly is not for the vast majority of people in Thailand, anyway) but as just another fun holiday break.

They have known since they first asked that their presents come from Mum and Dad, not some bearded stranger dropped down the non-existent chimney after flying in from somewhere called Lapland on reindeer with no wings. I mean, what kid with half a brain is going to fall for that stuff for long, anyway?

Like at least one other poster, I believe. it is a mistake to lie to children unless there is an absolutely overriding imperative to do so. Santa is clearly in this category. It would be interesting to hear how Buddhist parents explain (away) Father Christmas and the significance or otherwise of this (to them) alien festival.

• Like 1

Santa Claus is coming to town

Santa must also be wary of falling foul of the Working Time Regulations 1998. Are the elves working over a 48 hour week in order to meet the 24th December deadline?

And what about those reindeer? By anyone’s standards, flying through the air does not meet the criteria of allowing the animals to “exhibit normal behaviour patterns” as defined in the Animal Welfare Act 2006. Add to this the fact that he expects Donna, Blitzen, et al to circumnavigate the globe in one night and Santa could soon find himself accused of animal cruelty.

http://www.breensonline.co.uk/blog/santa-claus-is-coming-to-town/