I want to rent a scooter and travel in thailand. Any major issues?

I first want to say that I am in Thailand right now and a big part of my trip is renting a scooter and traveling to some of the different resort areas. I like to drive scooters in South East Asia and already have done this in Philippines. So the trip is mostly about the fun of riding, I just like to ride as to me the danger is fun, so my trip will be ruined if I don't do this.

Anyway, I have a USA drivers license with M motorcycle endorsement, but didn't get an international drivers license.

My question is will I have any problems driving hundreds of miles to different islands and resort areas? Will the police give me problems along the way?

I am just trying to find out if what I want is doable, or will I land myself in jail or pay $1000's in fines along the way or something when traveling such long distances through Thailand.

Thank you, all advice/help is appreciated. I just wanted to get it out there that the purpose of my trip is to drive a scooter and I don't want to take buses.

Be sure that the rental place will allow you to drive all over. When I rented in Phuket they said I was restricted to the island. Not that they would know if I left it, unless I had a problem.

Good point, I know the place advertised for unlimited miles. I saw some places that rent in Bangkok and only allow 100 km per day or something. That would totally not work.

Is it possible to rent and get the bike insured for theft? That's really my big worry, the bike getting stolen.

I'm mostly going to park it at youth hostels, I'm basically going to travel from youth hostel to youth hostel.

USA drivers license with M motorcycle endorsement

Does this mean something with more than fifty cubic centimetres and greater than thirty miles per hour speed?

If not, it might be difficult to find scooters like this in Thailand -- most are 125cc.

Probably most rental places don't care what is written on your licence, but if you were to make an insurance claim the insurer will surely scrutinise the validity of your licence.

Edited by Morakot

USA drivers license with M motorcycle endorsement

Does this mean something with more than fifty cubic centimetres and greater than thirty miles per hour speed?

If not, it might be difficult to find scooters like this in Thailand -- most are 125cc.

Probably most rental places don't care what is written on your licence, but if you were to make an insurance claim the insurer will surely scrutinise the validity of your licence.

In USA you only get a license for a Motorcycle and you can drive what ever size you want. Basically you can drive as large a bike you want as early as 17.

The reason for a scooter I guess is cost. It is by far the cheapest to rent and also by far gets the best gas mileage. The smaller 100cc scooters get like 100 MPG or 2.8 liters per 100 Kilometers . I drove 100cc scooters pretty far and pushed them probably to max speed in Philippines. You are correct, it probably isn't the most comfortable way to travel but it does work. Those little 100cc scooters can go quite fast also.

I've got good endurance so for some reason I just keep going and love the feel of a 100cc bike going top speed. I am going to do lots of stops also, so will probably only be on the road maybe 5 hours tops a day.

I really am just planning this as I go along at this point. I plan on staying a couple of months so I don't have to rush all of this.

There are a number of issues here that need confirmation to enable your ' scooter touring trip ' around thailand.

People here don't normally use a scooter ... 125cc .. to travel big distances.

Having said that i'm not saying it can't be done but you would need confirmation on :

When hiring the scooter on a daily rate or monthly or whatever you need to get approval / confirmation that it used to travel to the north, south, east west or your choice area.

You need to confirm the insurance .... what is covered ? ... if someone steals the scooter in some remote location will the insurance pay for the loss to the hirer ? If someone hits you in a benz are you covered to repair there car & the scooter because if it's a thai driving which is most likely it will never be there fault. ?

Sounds like it could be fun .... be warned ... sort out the hiring & insurance issues thoroughly !! and not just verbal.

I am not familar with the licence requirement in thailand so maybe someone else can answer that one ...

good luck on the adventure ... wai2.gif also , if I were you , I would not go alone .. best to have two people when traveling especially from a safety point.

C.B.,

If you didn't bring an International Driving Permit, it might be worth your time getting a Thai driving license.

On the few times I've been stopped at police checks in Thailand, they have wanted to see the IDP .. or pay a fine of a few hundred baht.

They see the IDP as necessary and part of your license..

Other advantage of the Thai license is that it usually gets you into double priced venues for the Thai price.

Some friends have just ridden from Pattaya to Nong Khai (and back) recently, a distance of some 700km each way, on 125cc airblades. Apart from a sore ass they had a great trip.

Hope you have just as much fun.

SM

also plan your trip to avoid main highways if you can.

they are really dangerous on a scooter.

you will have much better time on rural roads that parallel the main highways.

much less stress and more to see.

good luck jim.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 2

NCC offers good advice.

I think there's so many months you can use 'home' licenses before you should get a Thai one, although that is typically in conjunction with an IDP. I've done tens of thousands of miles on scooters and real bikes here, including before I had a Thai license. You should be OK without an IDP, but if there's an accident, could be problems.

A 100 is OK (including in the mountains up north) if you're on a tight budget, but best to go with a 125... think you'll find they use slightly less fuel on long trips due to the higher gearing and you keep up with the traffic better. The Honda Waves (plastic pigs as we call them in the UK) are the stalwarts of the moped world, being more rugged and lighter on fuel than comparable scooters. They are also cheapest to rent and stand less chance of getting nicked than a CVT scooter.

Some rental places offer insurance for a bit extra per day (usually 50 baht), so ask about that. Chiang Mai is probably the cheapest place to rent bikes.

The highway stops are typically across provincial borders and they may show interest in you. As mentioned, try to avoid the main highways.

I know where you're coming from. It is a great sense of freedom to travel around on a bike, especially in a foreign country, even if it's a little scooter. There is absolutely no comparison to any other form of transport, particularly public transport, and doing so by yourself is actually quite purifying. Non-bikers won't know what I'm talking about of course.

• Like 2

I would never get on a motorcycle (regardless of size) in Thailand. They are death traps, mainly due to the way Thais drive.

You will be the target of police stops for tea money.

If involved in an accident with a Thai, you will be the one at fault.

Upon returning the bike, you will likely be told you have to pay additional for unspecified, or just plain made-up, repairs.

Driving in Thailand, even a car, much less a motorcycle, is extremely dangerous. Many foreigners have been killed on Thai roads, many Thais also.

To me, it is simply not worth the risk. Only you can decide what your life is worth.

• Like 1

Driving less than 60 km an hour- dangerous- trucks push you aside where others drive wrong way!!!!Driving more than 90 km an hour- dangerous- lots of holes you can't see !!! Consider a car !!!

Edited by PoorSucker
Changed to standard font

Do not buy one of the phony IDP's on Koh Sarn Rd. as I did...cop took one look at it; laughed and tossed it into the bushes. It is best to get a Thai DL...you will get stopped countless times for no good reason and they will use any excuse to squeeze a few extra baht out of you.

Also, +1 on a up to standards helmet (with face shield) and riding gloves...those grips do vibrate at higher speeds and gell palm pads are really nice to have.

Lots of good suggestions above, especially about the Honda Wave: good and dependable bike with a proven drive train. You will have to negotiate with whoever you rent it from because very few renters like seeing their bikes more than 200km from home base. You don't want to risk a renter panicking and reporting the bike as stolen. Bike rental shops, especially in resort areas are frequently subject to scams from professional bike thieves so they tend to be restrictive.

One of the best ways to protect your bike from theft when staying at hotels and hostels is to find another guest with a parked bike and chain them together...much more difficult to toss 2 bikes chained together into the back of a pick-up.

You will no doubt do what you want, but remember motorbikes are the lowest of the low in Thailand, they and their safety appear to be disregarded by all other motorists.

Good luck whatever you do, and if you assume every other motorist out there is an idiot and got their driving license as a gift AND ride accordingly you will have a chance.

I would never get on a motorcycle (regardless of size) in Thailand. They are death traps, mainly due to the way Thais drive.

Upon returning the bike, you will likely be told you have to pay additional for unspecified, or just plain made-up, repairs.

Driving in Thailand, even a car, much less a motorcycle, is extremely dangerous. Many foreigners have been killed on Thai roads, many Thais also.

To me, it is simply not worth the risk. Only you can decide what your life is worth.

I'm 70 and drive a motor scooter every day in Thailand. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I'm 70 and drive a motor scooter every day in Thailand. biggrin.png

The larger crotch rockets pass me like I'm standing still on Highway 1 between Chiang Mai and Bangkok. They are doing over 180 km. I'm in a Toyota 4x4 doing 150.w00t.gif

the OP did say he enjoys the dangerous aspect of driving in Thailand so he has come to the right place.

a big challenge is staying focused and not daydreaming or getting distracted from what is directly in front and behind you.

almost every time i have had a close call, i was looking a thai lady and not the road.

keeping your speed down to 60 kph makes things "happen" slower as you have more reaction time.

the last thing turning right is ALWAYS look over your RIGHT shoulder, because you will be passed on the right by Thais on their scooters who have moved out into the opposite traffic lane trying to pass you before you turn. very common.

watch for Thai teenage boys hauling ass on their scooters, not uncommon to see them doing 80 plus kph on small streets.

study your route in advance, and if you stop pull completely off the road and out of the scooter lane or road margin.

be looking for passing cars and trucks in both directions, as your space is where everybody will go if there is a "miscalculation" in the never ending Thai game of chicken.

don't sit in the margin near uncontrolled intersections waiting to turn right, everyone with pass on the left side to avoid a car waiting to turn right and you will be rear ended.

don't forget your full body condoms.

good luck jim.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

Go to the US Embassy and get the International drivers License before you go. I have already been pulled over at check point and that is what they wanted. I have Thai License now. Better to be safe than sorry , when you get out in the weeds and run into some of The Tea money boys best to be as legal as possible. You are suppose to have the international permit to rent a motorbike but no one seems to care. And yes get some good insurance a policy with bail bonds coverage is the best. Will get you out of jail if you have an accident and the cops just for fun decide to put you in jail. And yes this does happen.

I would try to rent a Honda Forza but that is just me. Bigger seat , more power for the hills, and better ride.

Good luck and have fun !!!! wai.gif

• Like 1

If you're serious, I'd suggest rethinking unless you are already an experienced rider, and even then, driving in Thailand is dangerous. Driving in the PI is dangerous too, but personally I think it's worst here. Check your health insurance to see if they cover motorcycle accidents. If not, obtain a good accident policy. And you're not going to want a scooter. You want a road bike at least 200cc or larger. And I would have a riding partner. And learn passable Thai. If you're out in the boondocks, chances are that English may not be understood. This ain't the PI where most people know English as a second language. Make sure that the bike you rent is fully insured including damages and that your 'out-of-pocket' will only be the insurance deductible. Read the insurance policy. If it's only in Thai, move on. Make sure you and the 'rentor' have a clear understanding of how mechanical repairs will be handled and get it in writing. Your license should suffice. I had a valid US license with an endorsement for motorcycles and an International DL. I never once had to show my International license. They always accepted the US DL. But if push comes to shove, driving w/o a license is a whopping 100 baht fine. Lift your visor if you come to a police road block. Outside of the larger cities, if the cops don't speak English, they will normally wave you though. Check the tires and make sure they are top notch. If you are riding with tube tires, learn the Thai word, 'Bpa Yang' which mean tire repair. I can't post the Thai words on this forum, but that's a phrase you'll want to know and be able to read on a sign. If you have tubeless tires, get a DIY flat repair kit and a portable air pump. Just my experience. Can't speak for anyone else. Best of luck.

Edited by connda

I've toured for up to 3 weeks on a Honda Click (110 cc) and a Thai-style sidecar. I went from Hua Hin as far as Krabi and Phuket. Great fun, but don't try to do too many miles in a day.

I only got stopped once, because I didn't have my helmet on. When the police men asked where I had driven from they were totally impressed and let me go without paying.

If you do get stopped, your license is invalid and you're subject to 2-300 baht tea money.

I've toured for up to 3 weeks on a Honda Click (110 cc) and a Thai-style sidecar. I went from Hua Hin as far as Krabi and Phuket. Great fun, but don't try to do too many miles in a day.

I only got stopped once, because I didn't have my helmet on. When the police men asked where I had driven from they were totally impressed and let me go without paying.

If you do get stopped, your license is invalid and you're subject to 2-300 baht tea money.

Actually, driving with a side car is a great idea. The bigger you are on the road, the better.

Just wanted to add that I have been in thailand a few days already and didnt get my IDP in USA.

I also read it is totally legal to not have IDP if from g8 and english license with photo.

Not to spoil my trip how much tea money do i need if I get stopped and cop illigeally tries to extort money for IDP?