Change tourist visa to non-o

Today chatting with a couple of Scottish friends here in Chiang Mai they have consulted two different visa assist agencies about converting their tourist visas to a non-o and were refused by the first as this process is too diffcult for UK citizens. They then went to the second company and were told yes we can do this but it will cost extra because it is diffcult for uk citizens. Other than very diffcult they were not told what made it diffcult.

Has anyone heard of this recently and if so why more diffcult. Thanks a lot guys appreciate the info. And no a non-o back in Scotland is out of the question.

The process is the same for any nationality. One needs to have all the requirements reuired for an one-year extensions of stay, and at least 15 days remaining of allowed stay. Then it can be asked to come a second time for the conversion, then possibly a third and fourth time for the extension.

For this reason many people prefer to get the non-imm 'O' visa in Laos, Vientane or Savannakhet.

The process is the same for any nationality. One needs to have all the requirements reuired for an one-year extensions of stay, and at least 15 days remaining of allowed stay. Then it can be asked to come a second time for the conversion, then possibly a third and fourth time for the extension.

For this reason many people prefer to get the non-imm 'O' visa in Laos, Vientane or Savannakhet.

Thanks Paz, for some reason they were told the process is very hard for UK citizens and I was dumb founded as well because as you say the requirements are the same but who knows what the agencies were up too.

I fully agree with paz so does your friends have the requirements for an extension? if they do why get an agent as when a done it 6 years ago it was easy and the rules have not changed

That is the same thing I told them but for what ever reason peoplewant to believe the so called experts.

Thanks Paz, for some reason they were told the process is very hard for UK citizens and I was dumb founded as well because as you say the requirements are the same but who knows what the agencies were up too.

Did they say it was difficult ONLY for UK citizens or, since they were talking to someone with a UK passport, did they say it would be difficult for the people who asked about it and who happened to be from the UK? They were correct in saying the process was difficult and they could have left it at that.

Did they say it was difficult ONLY for UK citizens or, since they were talking to someone with a UK passport, did they say it would be difficult for the people who asked about it and who happened to be from the UK? They were correct in saying the process was difficult and they could have left it at that.

The basic response they got was that it is diffcult for UK residence only and no problem for others but when they asked were told only diffcult but not what the diffculty was. The first company they talked to will not do conversions at all and the second company charges more for the conversions. The responses just didn't make any sense to me so I volunteered to put this question to our world famous visa experts here, thanks a lot folks for the responses and no will evidence that there is a reason for it to be harder for UK residence than for other nationalities

Edited by moe666

My wife and I are Scots (and of retirement age). We went from Tourist to single entry Non-Imm O in September and a couple of weeks ago got our first annual extensions. The first we did in Vientianne, the second at the local CM office. Both episodes were difficult but not because of any such issues you mention. Just the unavoidable loss of some otherwise productive days of your remaining lives and battling through some mind-blowing bureaucracy.

Very easy in Vientaine just get your paper work together. Letter of income from your Embassy and really Vientaine will take your photo and copies of passport they need.

I used copy of my US embassy letter and still have original for Si Racha immigration. Just did mine on December 1st .

My wife and I are Scots (and of retirement age). We went from Tourist to single entry Non-Imm O in September and a couple of weeks ago got our first annual extensions. The first we did in Vientianne, the second at the local CM office. Both episodes were difficult but not because of any such issues you mention. Just the unavoidable loss of some otherwise productive days of your remaining lives and battling through some mind-blowing bureaucracy.

Did you convert the tourist visa to a Non-Imm O or go to Vientiane for a new Non O Visa?

Who has told you its so hard, letter from Embassy showing income 65,000 per month min. over 50 and that's the basic. I lived here 5 years with no bullshit.

The thing is that you, unlike OP's friend, do not need to do a visa conversion first.

you never said if this was for retirerment . or not i did one not long ago its the same for all . and i did in country a tr to a retirement non Ojust had to have all the paperwork and i did it all my self, not that hard.

Did you convert the tourist visa to a Non-Imm O or go to Vientiane for a new Non O Visa?

i did my tr to retirement Non o in phucket was easy in at 8:30am out at 10:30 am as long as you have all the paperwork it easy, did the extention her in CM that was a bit harder time wise, 4:30 AM OUT BY 11:30 lol long day

i did my tr to retirement Non o in phucket was easy in at 8:30am out at 10:30 am as long as you have all the paperwork it easy, did the extention her in CM that was a bit harder time wise, 4:30 AM OUT BY 11:30 lol long day

Phuket office does not do visa conversion anymore.

It might be done in Hat Yai with two visits.