Alcohol beverages ban during New Year and Songkran triggers outcry

webfact

TV needs to get its backside in gear.

First it starts this thread, then it starts this one - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/782769-prayut-rejects-proposal-to-ban-alcohol-sale-during-new-year-holidays/

Does anyone here know what the left and right hand are doing?

Edited by Mister Fixit

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TV needs to get its backside in gear.

First it starts this thread, then it starts this one - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/782769-prayut-rejects-proposal-to-ban-alcohol-sale-during-new-year-holidays/

Does anyone here know what the left and right hand are doing?

Yeah. Because first someone in government suggests there is going to be a ban. And then a couple of days later the boss squashes the idea.

Someone (ie you) certainly doesn't know how news works.

I believe the bans have the opposite effect in the case of drink driving.

I see at many places around BKK, markets, condo carpark, ect. guys sitting drinking in back of pickup trucks on those holidays

load up the boxes of samsom in the pickup the day before,ensure their wont be any shortage of a mixture of alchohol and vehicles.

when it comes to lost profits at bars/restaurants why not to do like in the civilized civilization: you bring ur wine/beer/hard liquor and get charged "corking" fee. Detail to be set by the owners of the area.

This is in fact how it is done in bars and clubs all across Thailand, just not the ones you have been to, i.e. the tourist ones.

Boxclever post # 10

I think it's a good idea. Get's rid of all the undesirable drunks with one stroke of a pen. Imagine how many pimp bars would close down over night. Bring it on I say smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqNPM4cy2e

Ease off my good man.where are the Hi So's going to be able to congregate if their venues are closed..blink.png

What will happen to the good Mr Chalerm if alcohol sales are stopped?w00t.gif

Anyone for a Red Bull hangover cure if of course Red Hull heir hair of the dog can be found?

Beware the knock on the door in the middle of the night concerning your comments .Might be a Chalerm boy looking for some fun:cheesy:

No, if he gets a knock on the door in the middle of the night it will probably be one of those "undesirable drunks". clap2.gif

And is there such a thing as a "desirable drunk" ? I don't remember ever seeing a drunk and thinking "I desire you". wub.png

I don't remember ever seeing a drunk and thinking "I desire you". Oh I do. She was about 22, great body, fantastic face & said she lubbed me sooooo mut.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What's the betting that despite this proposal, a counter proposal is adopted that allows bars to serve all night at New Year?

With the exception of last new year, due to the curfew in force, that has been the norm up here (Phitsanulok) for many years.

Police have been using breathalyzer checkpoints as a deterrent, with very little increase of fatalities on the roads over these periods. Penalties for being caught are also increased.

I say this only when compared with the average road accidents that occur everyday, something that normally isn't taken into consideration when figures are released during holiday periods, making those figures appear worse than they actually are.

On average............................wink.png

It is not the banning of Alcohol that needs to be addressed, as there are many responsible people out there that can enjoy a drink without needing to get absolutly bladdered.

The thing that really needs to be controlled, is the drink driving, and excessive drunken behaveour shown by all too many people in Thailand, and in order to do that, you need a credible police force and justice system, which appears to be somewhat lacking.

• Like 1

I don't drink so it really doesn't bother me! But being sat in a Bar surrounded by so many drunk people is not my idea of fun! ( i am quite happy with a " Sprite " ) I have always been very independent and like to do my own thing and refuse to take part in these ridiculous events just because everybody else does! I shall celebrate Xmas & new year when i want to.( In Thailand we don't celebrate Christmas so it's only " New Years Eve " ( i shall be " oblivious to the world around me " as always ) It looks like most of you will also be drinking " Sprite " too !

God Bless You All Viewers!

F.J wub.png

555 An outcry really I don't get it. If you are being given advance notice then STOCK UP now geesh.

Shame many people associate a holiday/New Year to having to consume alcohol

AND YES, there is something very sinister going on and perhaps an announcement is FINALLY going to be made (3 months later)

Theres been articles in TV about arrests being made for various forms of corruption.

I believe there is truth when a spouse passes on that it has such a detrimental impact on the mental/emotional/spiritual state of being of the surviving spouse that it usually isnt too long after that in their minds they let go and follow their spouse.

What if you want to go out to a bar? If they aren't allowed to sell you alcohol, should all the bars just shut?

(not that it matters now)

Then I go.. listen to music... mingle around...I dony need alcohol

• Like 1

555 An outcry really I don't get it. If you are being given advance notice then STOCK UP now geesh.

AND YES, there is something very sinister going on and perhaps an announcement is FINALLY going to be made (3 months later)

Theres been articles in TV about arrests being made for various forms of corruption.

I believe there is truth when a spouse passes on that it has such a detrimental impact on the mental/emotional/spiritual state of being of the surviving spouse that it usually isnt too long after that in their minds they let go and follow their spouse.

What if you want to go out to a bar? If they aren't allowed to sell you alcohol, should all the bars just shut?

And how do the bars pay for their staff?

bar fines

If they are concerned about the correlation between sales of alcohol and drunk drivers, perhaps they could consider what they do in New York City on New Year's eve -- make public transportation available to everyone "free" of charge to discourage personal driving during festivities while providing alternative means of getting around town. Maybe not so good for taxi services and tuk tuk drivers unless they could be reimbursed, but better to provide positive reinforcement to do the right thing rather than punishing all businesses.

Instead of stepping up enforcement and punishing the violators for drinking and driving they choose to try to deny everyone the traditional New Years and Holiday cheer that has been an integral part of the Holiday season for hundreds of years.

Not allowing a New Years Eve cheer with friends and family is for some people akin to denying Christmas presents for children.

It would be nice if some of the powers to be would realize that not having beach umbrellas and/or beds and cancelling New Years cheer to tourists is going to put people off of coming to Thailand for holidays and possibly do irreparable damage to the tourist industry. Seems like the Government are shooting themselves in the foot with recent tourist related incidents.

It would be nice to see the Police set up road blocks and impound the vehicles for 30 days, as an example, for anyone caught with being impaired. That would be at least a step in the right direction.

Seriously? Here in Thailand most people are paid a monthly salary anyways and paid once a month, so they get paid whether business is slow or booming. Cash tips? I'm not sure how those are distributed.

1 day without alcohol isn't the end of the world and a small business owner who wishes to be successful should know how to deal with obstacles and government annoyances like this. BE CREATIVE! Make your lemonade another way. Advertise a buffet with a huge spread of exotic foods, blended virgin drinks, cover charge of course, maybe hire local musician for entertainment.

One night without alcohol isn't the end of the world, its an opportunity to appeal and attract a different patron, though its quite disturbing the resistance I'm receiving just on this forum alone. Its almost as if most of you wake up and pour vodka in your cereal.

Isn't this a recurring theme just so the ministers look like they care who gets drunk and kills others through violence or reckless driving? It is really a pathetic attempt at showing they are concerned about alcohol related deaths on these holidays only. Aside from the bar crawling tourists, the Thais can stock all they want well ahead of the holidays and the mom and pop markets will have plenty even though it might be illegal to sell alcohol during this time. I expect nothing will be done and the drunken mayhem will go unchecked

Usually these proposals are made to cover up something else going on behind the curtains. I wonder what that was this time ..

Isn't this the usual annual meaningless talk by the ministers to make it look like they care that Thai's will somehow still not get drunk and kill through violence or vehicle accidents? Aside from the bar crawling drunks and other tourists out to tip a few, if the Thais cannot buy alcohol during this time, I am sure they will stock up before hand just like most Westerners will if they feel the need to have booze during these holidays. The small village markets will undoubtedly have enough behind the counter to get the party in full swing and the cops are not likely to be out in the villages to see who is drinking, are they? This is an empty attempt at showing concern, meanwhile I expect the vehicle death carnage and violent deaths will not abate at all because of any proposed or implemented ban. Life goes on as usual, in Thailand.

Edited by Bigfarang1948