Protesting Thai rubber farmers defy martial law

Lite Beer

Protesting Thai rubber farmers defy martial law

Bangkok: --AFP. Thai rubber farmers defied a law banning political gatherings Tuesday as the industry reels from record low prices and tests the junta's resolve to end the kingdom's subsidy culture.

Dozens of farmers gathered in the southern town of Surat Thani to call on Thailand's new military rulers to do more to arrest tumbling prices that have left many facing financial ruin.

The protests are a significant test for the generals now running the world's largest rubber producer who vowed an end to the country's history of populist subsidy policies as part of their justification for seizing power in May.

Many rubber farmers live in the nation's south, a region home to the ultra-royalists who backed the May coup that brought the military to power. As their profits shrivel, the farmers now want payback.

Organisers have vowed to ramp up their demonstrations if the government refuses to buy their product at significantly above market prices.

"If our demands are not met we will intensify our demonstrations," protest leader Pairod Rerkdee told AFP by telephone.

Pairod said farmers were demanding 70 baht ($2.12) for a kilogram of latex rubber and 80 baht per kilo for rubber sheet.

In Surat Thani Tuesday, latex rubber was selling for 33 baht per kilo while the Rubber Research Center in Bangkok said sheet rubber Monday was at 51.65 baht a kilo, its lowest in five years.

Sheet rubber fetched as much as 120 baht in 2011 but prices have since tumbled, thanks partially to falling demand from China and the global tyre industry as well as harvest stockpiling.

Pairod said between 3-400 people turned up for Tuesday's protest. Local police chief Major-General Apichart Boonsriroje told AFP the turnout was "less than 100".

The gathering nonetheless defies the junta's protest ban, which prohibits all demonstrations and political gatherings of more than five people.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-12-09

I thought Prayuth had just put in motion a 58 billion baht rubber scheme for them, to look after his Democrat support base.

That's after paying off 90b B for the rice scheme (less sales of rice) and before installing a constitution that prohibits populist schemes.

Only in Thailand.

This will be another example of what a shambles this self appointed government is becoming.

Or it shows the real problem when government becomes responsible for buying the farmers product rather than the farmer relying on market forces and private enterprise to sell to. However most countries subsidise farmers one way or another.

Though how would politicians here be able to scam if they did not control the buying and selling of produce?

• Like 1

I understood that with the government promotion schemes in the past the NorthEast is now an even greater producer of rubber than the South. Assuming that's correct, why are farmers from there not protesting ?

when will thais realize that they cannot be paid subsidies if they chose the wrong crop to farm, they want to be part of the world market but get upset when the prices drop. These morons need to wake up tp themselves and stop trying to bleed the country because they farm the wrong thing or the market prices fall, pathetic.

• Like 1

Surat Thani rubber growers demand higher price
By Digital Content

14181139833899-640x390x1.jpg

SURAT THANI, Dec 9 -- Rubber growers here who say they are in trouble due to the market price falling to Bt35 per kilogram petitioned the provincial governor today calling on the government to step in to shore up the rubber price

Growers from Wiang Sa district gathered at Surat Thani provincial hall presenting their letter to the prime minister through provincial governor Chatpong Chatphuti.

They demanded that the government help push rubber prices to Bt80 per kilogram for rubber sheet, Bt80 per kilogram of rubber sheet and Bt30 per kilogram of scrap rubber.

When the governor promised to forward the letter to the prime minister directly, the growers left the provincial hall.

Elsewhere in the South, farmers in Trang province must sell latex at Bt35-36 per kilogram and many must sell their stock of rubber sheet to make ends meet.

They have kept the stock in vain for a few months awaiting a better price.

Some farmers are either selling their rubber plantations or felling rubber trees to grow oil palm or other crops instead.

A Trang rubber grower leader said farmers planned no road blockage yet but would await solutions from the government until the end of the month. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-12-09

I was on a bus over on Pra Pinklao during the PDRC protests. A dozen black shirted rubber farmers got on to join their comrades across the bridge.

' When this government falls and Suthep is in charge we'll be rich ! " ...............one of them said to his friend.

Guess they must be feeling a bit used round about now. Still, at least they were paid for their time and got a look at the city.

• Like 1

If nothing else in Thailand, I'm always comforted that nothing changes. The corrupt self centered internecine family war between the elites (sorry TVF zealots, Thaksin, Prayuth, Suthep are all the same clan & class) switches sides and the poor foot soldiers that they recruited in the battle kinda look bemused. God knows what promises (populist policies) were promised to the Southern rubber farmers as their payment for support, but in true Thai style they expect payment.

I fully expect that the much maligned popularism of the Suthep protests having a timely reincarnation. Pledging being reborn under a different name. Rubber Support Price Stabilization & Normalization Plan (aka rice pledging) anyone?

Edited by GinBoy2

I was on a bus over on Pra Pinklao during the PDRC protests. A dozen black shirted rubber farmers got on to join their comrades across the bridge.

' When this government falls and Suthep is in charge we'll be rich ! " ...............one of them said to his friend.

Guess they must be feeling a bit used round about now. Still, at least they were paid for their time and got a look at the city.

Suthep better get Prayuth to pay up, or else yellow will be out on the street again.

It is a serious problem because it places even greater pressure on an already hard working, very low income group. While you may laugh and make a few puns, just yesterday a friend received a call from her friend who said that if things got worse, she would have no other choice but to leave the family and do bar work - which she has never done or considered doing before. Lets be honest, the financial pressure is making this a demeaning choice to many and that should not happen. I would be mortified if my daughter was ever forced by circumstance. Although rubber is a commodity, there should be some form of safety net ………. how, I have no idea. Sad circumstances for the farmers.

It is a serious problem because it places even greater pressure on an already hard working, very low income group. While you may laugh and make a few puns, just yesterday a friend received a call from her friend who said that if things got worse, she would have no other choice but to leave the family and do bar work - which she has never done or considered doing before. Lets be honest, the financial pressure is making this a demeaning choice to many and that should not happen. I would be mortified if my daughter was ever forced by circumstance. Although rubber is a commodity, there should be some form of safety net ………. how, I have no idea. Sad circumstances for the farmers.

Maybe you should have the same feelings (you may do, many here do not) for the daughters of rice farmers unable to pay the bills. The idea of fixing rice prices as a social safety net certainly enraged the passions of many on this forum. Is there a difference? Red or Yellow maybe?

I feel sorry for the rubber farmers as the prices have tumbled down.

But I don't agree with their demands for the government to buy their produce for more than double the current price.

They had good times before they have a bad spell now.

It's not the governments fault as it is not their fault either.

But they have to learn to live in this free world as so many other trades do.

No good protesting and demanding.

Where will the money come from?

If they get, there will a lot of others also demanding.

And you had some time to think if possible

The goverment must look after all the poor in every country this is the main reason for democracy so the elected goverment look after the poor same like with the rice but many her don't seam understand this

If this is unclear elected means most thais and most thais want the goverment to look after the poor same like in every other country and this create stability

Rubber farmers, be carefull. You might have already recieved some subsidies. You're not dealing with Thaksin or Abhisit here. You're dealing with the junta here, and the junta, they're not going to accept your demonstration or public gathering.

Actually, one of the big benefits of the junta was an end to demonstrations. Demonstrations disrupt life for everybody, good to see that they should/must be prevented.

Can I be clear. Martial law allows rubber planter to demonstrate but three or four students are taken in for 're-education'.

I'm not decrying the rubber farmers, I don't know enough about them, but I can see a selective use of martial law in this and future demos. sad.png

"industry reels from record low prices"

Thank my lucky stars and common logic I did not listen to the TGF at the time and started "A rubber business" "We can make lots of money" of course me buying everything including land under her name. I would be bankrupt by now and begging for change on beach road. Thankfully I am not, but healthy, wealthy and wise.

I understood that with the government promotion schemes in the past the NorthEast is now an even greater producer of rubber than the South. Assuming that's correct, why are farmers from there not protesting ?

If they don't produce more yet, it may not be long

Promises made but not fulfilled