Fullface helmet question

speedthrills

Serious question.

On another tread i made an inquirey about what precetage of motorbike riders worldwide do you think wear a fullface type helmet and no one seemed to know for real.My own feeling is about 15% only that do. This is a general question and not biased by country, class ,religion, perported intelligence ,3rd world, just overall.Nothing to do with your view on better or not should do or not recomended or not just interested in a general input by people on what you yourserlf think the numbers may be.I cant find any info relating to this but some stats would be interesting to me.

I would say it depends on what sort of riding is done in each country, the climate and the amount of cash the rider has to spare.

In the west most people would probably buy full face, they are safer, especially at speed, in the east, and similar open face (as an alternative to no helmet at all) they are cheap, less encumbering and cooler.

As to figures worldwide, one can only guess, many more bikes in underdeveloped countries and very many more people, IMO open face outnumber full face 10 or 20 to 1.

If someone were to suggest 100 to 1 or more, I wouldn't argue with them.

Edited by AllanB
  • Like 2

Your question pretty much posed outlines what comments you don't want. However, it seems some responses focus on cost to a private person. I look at public agencies where cost always come far behind safety. I cannot think of one police department in the U.S. that uses full face helmets, and I am sure that they have put them all through their testing. If they were proven safer, they would have them, no matter the cost.

Your post opens many lines of inquiry.

It has been said that neck injuries increase with helmet weight. As full face are more heavy, this begs the question ...

Myself, I have never worn one. Mostly because in the early days your peripheral vision was limited, and this has saved me on many occasions. Now-a-days they say that this situation has improved, tho' I have no first hand knowledge as have not shopped for one in a long time.

I have looked at the modular helmets, and expect to try one out with my next new bike purchase.

Most of my riding life has been with an open face with lexan visor - also called a 3/4 helmet.

Are full face more safe - if you plant yourself face first they are. But in all my riding I have seen very very few face first accidents. Most are from hitting cars, or cars hitting them. Or running off the road. Broken legs, arms, pelvis, shoulder.

As for stats - from who ? What demographic surveyed ? Where ? When ?

Too easy to make them say whatever you want. Do I believe them or not ? I take them under advisement, and make my choices.

• Like 1

Your question pretty much posed outlines what comments you don't want. However, it seems some responses focus on cost to a private person. I look at public agencies where cost always come far behind safety. I cannot think of one police department in the U.S. that uses full face helmets, and I am sure that they have put them all through their testing. If they were proven safer, they would have them, no matter the cost.

That's actually not correct (police often ride in short sleeves in summer and this is allowed per regulations, and that's obviously not safer in the event of a crash).

Police opt for 3/4 helmets because they're more comfortable over the course of an 8+ hour shift done several times per week, and also to project a more friendly and accessible appearance to the public who they deal with during traffic stops/accidents/whatever- the open-face helmet allows face-to-face communication without the officer having to remove his helmet. Some police departments are transitioning to modular helmets (these are more popular in Europe than the US at the moment).

A full-face helmet has more coverage- in the event of a crash, it would offer more protection. Studies have shown that the face/chin area is impacted in about 35% of accidents- if that area is left open, the likelihood of an injury is higher.

This article references the study that was done- http://bmwdean.com/swisher.htm

This is the technical explanation of the study itself- http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Christian_Krettek/publication/11649257_Head_injury_mechanisms_in_helmet-protected_motorcyclists_prospective_multicenter_study/links/02e7e52011484c1b1b000000

• Like 2

It has been said that neck injuries increase with helmet weight. As full face are more heavy, this begs the question ...

Myself, I have never worn one. Mostly because in the early days your peripheral vision was limited, and this has saved me on many occasions. Now-a-days they say that this situation has improved, tho' I have no first hand knowledge as have not shopped for one in a long time.

I have looked at the modular helmets, and expect to try one out with my next new bike purchase.

Most of my riding life has been with an open face with lexan visor - also called a 3/4 helmet.

Are full face more safe - if you plant yourself face first they are. But in all my riding I have seen very very few face first accidents. Most are from hitting cars, or cars hitting them. Or running off the road. Broken legs, arms, pelvis, shoulder.

Too easy to make them say whatever you want. Do I believe them or not ? I take them under advisement, and make my choices.

I just kinda figured that there would be some sort of breakdown of numbers maybe from manufacturers or riding groups or traffic analysis from somewhere.maybe there is no stats thats why i asked on here if anyone had thoughts on the numbers.As i said i wear one but in my travles it seems that mainly boy racer type riders wear them Many many riders other thab sporty riders seem to not wear fullface

I visited almost every shop in Chiang Mai that sold full face helmets, I could not find a single helmet that fitted me wearing my glasses, one or two I could get over my head without the glasses on but could not then put them back on. Call me big head but hey.

I visited almost every shop in Chiang Mai that sold full face helmets, I could not find a single helmet that fitted me wearing my glasses, one or two I could get over my head without the glasses on but could not then put them back on. Call me big head but hey.

Look at Shark helmets, they have slots in the interior padding specifically for glasses.

I am in agreement with you and i also rarely wear fullface,i just dont like them.Good in heavy rain at times but mostly i wear one 3/4 type.

Your point on faceplants is also very valid.

Sure it happens now and again but similarly i have never witnessed one myself in 30 years riding.

We all make our choices and live or die by those choices,often though as in the case of the guy in another threadwho was killed in collision he had no chance ,full face or not.

Thats the way it works at times sadly.

what a meaningless thread!

what are you trying to prove OP?

if the percentage of full face helmet user are very less, will you stop using your full face helmet and start to wear a half face?

full face is safer than a half face, open face and even from a modular type helmet. that is proven by researchers over the years.

this is what it is. it is not about racing or speeding or sport biking.

so, i really do not care about the numbers as it does not prove anything. It just proves the number of riders around the world that are prone to the accidents more than the riders wearing a full face helmet.

but can say my words on why people do not wear full face helmet:

1- Ignorance regarding the benefits of full face helmets. basically they are not aware the benefits of a full face helmet.

2- Stupid belief that full face helmets looks uncool and shows you as a coward - harley guys, teenagers types, riders with deadly overconfidence or boy racers.

3- Basically some have no money to invest on a full face helmet and they get the cheapest. At some poor countries they steal helmets too so cheap old helmets do not get stolen often most probably.

4- A full face helmet is more sweaty at hot countries - but yeah, sweat or bleed.

5- No proper legislation or laws toward making full face helmets mandatory - like AMA which is influenced by Harley groups that finds full face helmets - or any helmet - uncool! and in US it is still not mandatory to wear a helmet at some states forget about full face helmet. and AMA does nothing.

6- Some just dont care.

• Like 2

Posted By Ron19 on the Humerous thread.

Pretty much sums up some of the posts on this thread too

You re got that right hell i asked asimple question and copped shit [and the paper] from a couple of tossers crazy stuff and this pales into nothing alongside the crap on the thread were thye guy died.Bored morons i guess.

You re got that right hell i asked asimple question and copped shit [and the paper] from a couple of tossers crazy stuff and this pales into nothing alongside the crap on the thread were thye guy died.Bored morons i guess.

To the OP. You asked a question about what percentage of people worldwide wear a ff helmet as opposed to non ff.

Seriously, what's interesting about that? The stats would be totally inconsequential. It would make a lot more sense to ask why one wouldn't wear a ff (if one can afford it).

I wear a 3/4 helmet when riding my scooter around Bkk. I feel this gives me sufficient protection due to the speeds I would be able to achieve anyway. For touring on my bigger bike, I wear a modular. I do higher speeds and feel safer having more protection. This in turn gives me more confidence which is important when covering long distances. For the track, I wear a full face for max protection.

I have friends whom, in spite of my constant nagging, insists that they are more comfortable and confident with wearing a half or 3/4 helmet and that they enjoy the ride more, which is what riding is all about.

To the OP. You asked a question about what percentage of people worldwide wear a ff helmet as opposed to non ff.

Seriously, what's interesting about that? The stats would be totally inconsequential. It would make a lot more sense to ask why one wouldn't wear a ff (if one can afford it).

I wear a 3/4 helmet when riding my scooter around Bkk. I feel this gives me sufficient protection due to the speeds I would be able to achieve anyway. For touring on my bigger bike, I wear a modular. I do higher speeds and feel safer having more protection. This in turn gives me more confidence which is important when covering long distances. For the track, I wear a full face for max protection.

I have friends whom, in spite of my constant nagging, insists that they are more comfortable and confident with wearing a half or 3/4 helmet and that they enjoy the ride more, which is what riding is all about.

Lighten up Gw the guy is allowed to have his own interests, is he not?

Some people like to know things for whatever reasons.

Not the top of my own need-to-know list but is something relevant to motorcycling after all.

We all have our own priorities and interests in life and one should not knock someone for not having the same as ourselves.

• Like 1

Not the top of my own need-to-know list but is something relevant to motorcycling after all.

We all have our own priorities and interests in life and one should not knock someone for not having the same as ourselves.

Yes, GJ, you are right. Personally, I've always had this urge to know how many pieces of toilet paper other TV members use after their normal ablutions (I use 3 myself followed by the bum gun) but I would hardly start a thread on this.

In any case, this thread has gone completely off topic, presumably because it's, how can I put it, meaningless?

Yes, GJ, you are right. Personally, I've always had this urge to know how many pieces of toilet paper other TV members use after their normal ablutions (I use 3 myself followed by the bum gun) but I would hardly start a thread on this.

In any case, this thread has gone completely off topic, presumably because it's, how can I put it, meaningless?

You wipe before bum gun... !

Some people, geez..