Smoke, Smog, Dust 2015 Chiang Mai

Tywais

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got really excited yesterday-evening, here in Mae-Jo, as a big dark cloud loomed over Chiang Mai, and the sound of distant-thunder was heard.

Rushed round the house closing doors & windows, just in time for the expected gusts of strong-wind which duly arrived, and then ... ... no rain fell. sad.png

Clearly I need to work some more on my native-English rain-dance ! rolleyes.gif

Should we declare a Chiang-Mai Forum Car-Wash morning ? facepalm.gif

Finally a positive sign of government action. Just had a Pilatus Porter fly overhead making announcements to stop burning using the Vietnam era airborne audio system. Amazingly clear voice out of that system. Hopefully they will get the message out. Certainly a bit late in the season but at least it is a start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilatus_PC-6_Porter

^ I heard it a couple days ago too. Was amazed that this actually works: fairly clear audio from a plane overhead.

Also saw the Chinook.. It looks like a small bucket visually, but I bet it's actually a pretty big tub right there.. Chinook isn't exactly tiny and I viewed it a long distance away. So could be reasonably effective against minor forest fires.

(Although personally I would prefer to dump that tub on top of the house of whoever started the fire. :) )

^ I heard it a couple days ago too. Was amazed that this actually works: fairly clear audio from a plane overhead.

Also saw the Chinook.. It looks like a small bucket visually, but I bet it's actually a pretty big tub right there.. Chinook isn't exactly tiny and I viewed it a long distance away. So could be reasonably effective against minor forest fires.

(Although personally I would prefer to dump that tub on top of the house of whoever started the fire. smile.png )

Appears they are patrolling with the aircraft and when they see smoke, they circle the area and make the announcement. Very effective way of getting the word out. When I first heard it I thought a sound truck was parked right outside the house but when I went outside I heard that sweet purr of a PT-6 and saw the plane a good half mile away at about 1000 AGL! If only they could do this at the beginning of the burning season . . .

(Although personally I would prefer to dump that tub on top of the house of whoever started the fire. smile.png )

I believe its a 5000 litre bucket that can be folded up when not in use.

^ Nice! How does it stack up against 2007 though?

(I could find out but if you have the data right there to graph then that might be quicker)

Sorry, but I don't have data for time prior to December 2010, which is as far back as aqmthai goes for station 36t. Possibly older data is available at the older site, air4thai.pcd.go.th, but I am unable to find my way to it.

If anyone has a dataset from older years, feel free to forward to me.

Hi,

I do, though I think they're monthly aggregate reports, not per day.

Still useful though to compare over many years / decades; it shows the monthly average PM10 and also the number of times per month that 120 ug/m3 is exceeded. So you can't go down to the individual day, but it serves quite well to determine how a particular year stacks up.

I mostly went with Station 35t for my own record keeping as it's an out of town location and presumably less affected by local (traffic) factors, but I have data for both.

Files are here: http://mydearyou.com/dryseason/CM%20Air%20Pollution%20Data.zip

I mostly use it to do graphs of this type, showing a longer term trend:

post-64232-0-97891500-1427181526_thumb.j

Note that the number for 2015 is not final of course, but we're currently up to 14 times that we went over 2015. The actual PM10 for the year provides more detail but overall the number of times 120 is exceeded follows the trend for the overall average PM10 really well. It also shows that some (most) newspapers aren't being factual when they write that Chiang Mai is experiencing the worst haze ever. It's even doubtful if it'll be worse that last year.

People do have short memories.

It is 24 March 2015, Tuesday, in Chiangmai. It has rained a the Forcast calls for more rain. Does this mean the burning will stop for the year it will it start back up once it drys up from the recent rain? Any Chiangmai old times have any experience in this or has anyone read any reporting of future burning for the next month?

Hi,

I do, though I think they're monthly aggregate reports, not per day.

Still useful though to compare over many years / decades; it shows the monthly average PM10 and also the number of times per month that 120 ug/m3 is exceeded. So you can't go down to the individual day, but it serves quite well to determine how a particular year stacks up.

I mostly went with Station 35t for my own record keeping as it's an out of town location and presumably less affected by local (traffic) factors, but I have data for both.

Files are here: http://mydearyou.com/dryseason/CM%20Air%20Pollution%20Data.zip

I mostly use it to do graphs of this type, showing a longer term trend:

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Note that the number for 2015 is not final of course, but we're currently up to 14 times that we went over 2015. The actual PM10 for the year provides more detail but overall the number of times 120 is exceeded follows the trend for the overall average PM10 really well. It also shows that some (most) newspapers aren't being factual when they write that Chiang Mai is experiencing the worst haze ever. It's even doubtful if it'll be worse that last year.

People do have short memories.

Some monthly stuff I think I saw as still available at the older air4thai site, but that is less interesting to me, at least at the moment. Also, it can of course not be used for comparing months in the way I compared, which uses hourly data for each day. I think I remember air4thai had hourly data available before, but could not find out how to see it earlier today.

To me it looks like this is the worst March, based on the plots I posted. It started at the highest pm10 level, and for most of the first 20 days, remained with the highest pm10 count, even though there were longer periods where the pm10 count was relatively low. Then a few days ago it dropped to a very low level, and remains at a very low level.

One can of course define "worst" in countless different ways:

- average pm10 per day.

- number of days with pm10 over 120.

- sum of pm10 for all days in March.

- etc.

Using one or several of the above definitions, this is probably not going to be the worst March. E.g., at the moment it looks like the last 10 days or so might be the best of any March of the past 4 years.

I'd be interested in what medical people would consider the worst March. I.e., what is most dangerous to the health.

Probably won't get too bad again, however, may not be the end of the smoke. As soon as its dry again, they'll be madly trying to burn as much as possible. Only once in my 7 years has it gone on past Songkran.

Glad to hear that NE Thailand is clearing up. Don't think it will get any worse from now on. Enjoy your paradise over there. :)

Soon it will be Singapore and Malaysia's turn again (usually is June to Nov latest). Still awaiting more confirmed news about El Nino being sustained and rising to moderate levels. Don't think will affect NE Thailand though.

It appears only a handful of us have survived. My bunker 109 feet underground was almost comprimised, but my 11 back-up generators and air purifiers saved the day. In 11 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes, I will resurface and experience CM once again. To all reading this.......we must remain strong!!! Soon we can build an arc, fill it with animals, and set off to new lands!!! I heard there is a country out there that can feed an entire population on one food......they call it the Big Mac. It will help us from the the demon air......

It is 24 March 2015, Tuesday, in Chiangmai. It has rained a the Forcast calls for more rain. Does this mean the burning will stop for the year it will it start back up once it drys up from the recent rain? Any Chiangmai old times have any experience in this or has anyone read any reporting of future burning for the next month?

It's my personal observation that the burning stops on Songkran. From the Thais I've talked to, a large percentage of these fires are arson - burning forest underbush to collect mushrooms and other edible plants during the rainy season. Come Songkran, it's time to party. People put their matches away and concentrate on partying. Just my observation. But just check it out. If the smoke clears at Songkran, I may have a point, 'eh?

As soon as the last drop is fallen They will start it in Full force again and yes there is a break during Sonkran as there is on any celebration break in between but over the past years my experience also after Sonkran it will continue only continuous rain will stop the madness surely than.

It appears only a handful of us have survived. My bunker 109 feet underground was almost comprimised, but my 11 back-up generators and air purifiers saved the day. In 11 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes, I will resurface and experience CM once again. To all reading this.......we must remain strong!!! Soon we can build an arc, fill it with animals, and set off to new lands!!! I heard there is a country out there that can feed an entire population on one food......they call it the Big Mac. It will help us from the the demon air......

"Soon we can build an arc, fill it with animals, and set off to new lands!"

Don't forget to obtain your Re-Entry Permit from Immigration, before departure ! rolleyes.gif

Didn't someone already try this, a few years ago, I vaguely recall reading about it, Noah idea what his name was, though. facepalm.gif

Thank heavens that the internet & ThaiVisa did survive the apocalypse, as designed/planned, wonder how my investment-portfolio did ? coffee1.gif

Well, blueyeshk, while I understand the sentiment, I suggest that the topic remain open (until next "season)." First, by default, the season isn't over until it is over, and it might not be! Second, some people actually hang around, but not the bitchers and moaners, understandably, but some. Surprisingly, some insights or information can be made and provided off-season.

For example, we have hardly gotten into the problems of high elevation corn production by farmers with small holdings and Thai agribusiness. And we won't go to jail for talking about those things as opposed to some other things. So, pour a cup of coffee, do some research, and join the discussion!

One thing that could save everyone some time next year is when the Smoke, Smog, Dust & Hot Air 2016 thread appears somebody at thaivisa just copy and pastes one of the the previous years complete threads into the 2016 thread. The whole thing done in a few clicks. It's the same problem every year with the same posts and complaints and the authorities having the same meetings.

Well, yes and no.

From all I gather, the "guys in charge" are not really averse to solving the problem, they aren't quite sure how to do it or, it doesn't have priority, or even with seeming force majeure, it is still beyond them. What can eventually work even on successive regimes de jour is a continuing pressure of public knowledge and a consensus building for some action, large and small, not necessarily some grandiose scheme.

Put more simply, withresponse to you here, on TV Chiang Mai, perhaps it is useful to know what we are talking about and better understand what's involved, don't you think? That, believe it or not, is part of the process of change. Granted, foreigners in a strange land haven't got much to contribute, but they can at least seek to contribute a better understanding of the issue and the difficulties in dealing with it.

@mapguy does it really matter which numbers you crush , which course of the problem you identify , which contribution you ever will have to the issue as long the guys in charge don't charge

There can be people in another country considering a trip to CM. About to buy the ticket, but then they see this information. Plans changed, lungs saved, and off to Chile they go!!!

I like to know about problems in the world I cannot fix. Wars, corruption, bad food, bad water, problems with traffic....on and on and on.....

Knowledge is power!!!!!

Driving between Tak and Lampang yesterday, I saw several farmers doing their best to set stubble alight despite intermittent showers in the mountains. They didn't seem in the least concerned that every car, truck and police car driving past could see them.

Archived