Smoke, Smog, Dust 2015 Chiang Mai

Tywais

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty of burning going on today in the Nam Prae/Canal Road/Samoeng junction area. Smoke belching from behind the hills to the west, big plume of brown smoke drifting over the Samoeng Junction @ 5.30pm.

Smell of smoke heavy in the air as we left Saenkham Terrace around 8pm.

Disgusting.bah.gif

Saw a couple of big fires on Doi Pui this afternoon. One behind & up from 700 year stadium being tackled by a firefighting helicopter. The other bit further north, with smoke flowing down to Huay Tung Tao area.

I went for a bike ride late afternoon at the back of the 700 year stadium. MNRE helicopter was doing its best to put the fires out but it didn't do much. Fires will be burning all night. Towards Huay Tung Tau there was evidence of fresh fires at the bottom of the mountain.

post-113867-0-70065400-1431280150_thumb.

post-113867-0-53882400-1431280202_thumb.

post-113867-0-34546000-1431280249_thumb.

Here we are in mid May and seeing hourly PM 10 levels over 100. Things are getting worse not better and I predict that is how it is going to go into the future.

Why anyone would want to live in CM when you have dangerous and unhealthy pollution spanning 4 months out of the year is beyond me. Air purifiers, face masks and hoping for rain doesn't cut it. When you add in the growing traffic congestion and endless building going on, leaving CM looks better every day.

Here we are in mid May and seeing hourly PM 10 levels over 100. Things are getting worse not better and I predict that is how it is going to go into the future.

Why anyone would want to live in CM when you have dangerous and unhealthy pollution spanning 4 months out of the year is beyond me. Air purifiers, face masks and hoping for rain doesn't cut it. When you add in the growing traffic congestion and endless building going on, leaving CM looks better every day.

The Dukes?

I know many friends which wanted to move up north but as they are still working and can't make 3 month holiday I advised them to find a better place to live - if you can't escape from end February to May than Chiang Mai and the whole northern region is for sure not the right choice to settle down- for all others don't forget to take advantage of early booking promotion the next horrible season will come for sure nothing will change for the better here.

Been smelling smoke again for 2 nights in a row here - near canal road. Seems the big fires have gone (fingers crossed) and now it is a few locals doing 'their thing'. Great suggestions from those who posted about Filtrete in the Air-con units - it works brilliantly. But clearly not a long term solution - when the house lease is up we will be looking to move south - unless I can organise/pay for a 3-4 months 'holiday' away from the place. Wont miss all the maniacs/drunks in their 4WD/Utilities either :)

Smelling strong, almost unbearable, smoke for the past few nights. So much for Songkran being the finish line for the months of burning preceding Songkran. I guess it's just too much of a kick to stop now... Might as well burn 6 out of the 12 months, for simplicity's sake.

(reporting from the North Gate / Chang Phuak area of the city)

There was burning going on yesterday evening around Huay Tung Tau and higher up where the hilltribe people live. Lots of freshly scorched forest even around the edge of the Huay Tung Tau lake road and strong smoke. On Sunday i saw the Minerals Natural Resources and Environment? helicopter darting between the reservoir behind the 700 year stadium and the burning forest higher up the mountain dropping water on the fires. Lots of staff at the reservoir as well. To operate this helicopter , the pilots, the ground staff and all the rest must cost big baht.

Since sunday fresh fires have been lit daily. With the money spent using the helicopter and the general Thai dislike of hilltribe people i would imagine officials would be going up to the hilltribe villages to give them a bollocking? Does this happen? There seem to be fresh fires everyday.

Seems the latest popular remedy in official circles, suggested previously but also recently in the current governor's recent meeting on the topic, is to spread out the burning over more time, not eliminate burning. What a terrific idea! blink.png

This sounds like insanity. My wife wanted to visit CM this year, but I think we'll skip it. I never liked the shoulder tapping pests trying to get you to buy crap there anyway. Remionded me of Mexico :puke:

Most tourists are far more patient than I.

• 3 months later...

They burn all year round in the countryside where I live. "Burning Season" is myth bah.gif

It's not only happening in Chiang Mai. we in Pong (near Mapbrachan Lake have it in the village nearly every day (especially night time). After having called the army they started with running a care around and talking people over loudspeaker about. Then, as this action wasn't helpful they place warning along the road (fine Baht 2000 :-))!). Nothing changed.

Conclusion: Thai people never changed their habits!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Baan & Beyond has a good stock of 3M Filtrate for use in your aircon units. Turn left at the checkouts and walk past the tools and car sections until you see the traffic cones. Fitrate on end cap just behind them.

So does Central in Kad Suan Kaew in the hardware section.

Mapguy, forgive my ignorance, but does this hardware section also sell parts for down lights, light bulbs and such? Up until you mentioned it I didn't know that Central at Kad Suan Kaew had a hardware section?!

Sorry that was going off topic ?

Baan & Beyond has a good stock of 3M Filtrate for use in your aircon units. Turn left at the checkouts and walk past the tools and car sections until you see the traffic cones. Fitrate on end cap just behind them.

So does Central in Kad Suan Kaew in the hardware section.

Mapguy, forgive my ignorance, but does this hardware section also sell parts for down lights, light bulbs and such? Up until you mentioned it I didn't know that Central at Kad Suan Kaew had a hardware section?!

Sorry that was going off topic [emoji54]

A small section on 2d floor in the back. Not much but could be handy.

Off topic again, but we're currently about an hour south of Kuala Lumpur. From the hotel room, I can barely see the pool, and I think it lasts a lot longer than we have to suffer for.

I will never complain about the smog in CM again.

post-71952-0-58700600-1443229490_thumb.j

• 5 weeks later...

Just had a superb rain last night, for a little less than an hour... funny that I thought we'd get to enjoy some clean air today. Methinks that someone thought burning damp leaf cuttings might be a fun change of pace. I see a lot of haze, smell that smokey smell, but I understand that anyone asked would insist it's not smoke / haze. Fog! It's fog! Sigh...

Mt biking in Sangkamphet yesterday and looked extremely "hazey". I didn't smell smoke but felt similar effects afterwards of coughing and poisoning.

Pretty clear besides cloud cover in my hood in Mae Jo but can't see that far in the distance as I did driving out on 1317.

Any thoughts what's happening?

Mt biking in Sangkamphet yesterday and looked extremely "hazey". I didn't smell smoke but felt similar effects afterwards of coughing and poisoning.

Pretty clear besides cloud cover in my hood in Mae Jo but can't see that far in the distance as I did driving out on 1317.

Any thoughts what's happening?

That area south from Mae On, east of 1317 is ALWAYS smokey early morning. They seem to produce a lot of night smoke there (keep mozzies away from dairy herds?) &, I think the smoke gets trapped against the valley sides. But yesterday's haze was more widespread. I ws on the Samoeng road & visibility was poor in the morning, but cleared by mid afternoon.

Been a few months since leaving CM and I thought it appropriate to provide an update on this topic - my last response was a while ago. At that time I was looking at leaving CM, mainly because of the annual smoke problems, and I have done just that. But I am not about to say I told you so, or make any attempt to justify my decision, or make others leave. What I am offerring to this topic, I do so because there are many people thinking of moving to CM, and just like I did, I am sure many will check Thai Visa about CM.

My advice is this - if you have respiratory problems or are over 60, then think about it. If you still decide to come here (to live) then be aware of the actual reality - the smoke haze season is long and can at times be very bad. If you are coming for a holiday/trip, then do so - this is a great place to visit. But if you do come here to live long term, then make sure you read closely the advice provided by Thai Visa members about dealing with the smoke. Especially about getting a good air filter for your bedroom, and using filtrete paper in all the air-conditioner units where you are staying.

My last statement on this matter is the reality of how bad it is here on some days - but it is not all days - only some days - and sometimes for a week or so - it comes and goes and how bad it is sometimes depends on what area you live in (it moves/settles in different places). And it does not last for a few months - it is at its worst for a few months (Feb/Mar) but it starts in January (usually) and lasts til May (usually). It all depends on the rains and wind direction and atmospheric conditions. And it is not all because of burning in Thailand - but it can be very bad when local peasants decide to burn the local forests (for mushrooms), or a local village/town decides to burn-off all their rubbish (including thigns like tyres etc etc) - this is not the west where such things have been banned for many years. And it is also because of farmers/peasants burning in Myanmar (Burma) and Laos and China. When both these factors are prevalent it can be extremely unpleasant in Nth Thailand - this place sometimes makes the current problems of Singapore look lame. And IMO it is only going to get worse - so I left. These numbers below are from March 2015 and on a day that was not the worst IMO.

30256289-01_big.thumb.jpg.8006557f2d5970

You talk about polution, it is stil amazing if they create these kind of fires behind our house here. In the middle they started this kind of fire when everybody was asleep, in the morning the firefigthers ended the fire, then the neigbour started again for what? looks like kids...

post-76411-0-61327100-1446290814_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Seems the latest popular remedy in official circles, suggested previously but also recently in the current governor's recent meeting on the topic, is to spread out the burning over more time, not eliminate burning. What a terrific idea! blink.png

And you thought I was kidding!!

This past week has brought us the news of the first satellite detectable fire of the "season" in the Doi Suthep-Pui region from FIRMS. Actually, having a high elevation view myself of the general area this week, I wondered at the haze. Actually, anyone with eyes can see miscellaneous plumes of smoke most of the year, and preparations for second crops has been ongoing.

There was also PR news this week of "cooperation" at high government levels and a major agricultural firm that buys the corn to educate corn farmers!

Anyone care to speculate how successful that will be?

Smoke, Smog & Dust !

Well last evening I could see the hills of Doi Saket from my place on Doi Suthep.

Mind you this morning I can only see about half way across the valley as it's raining.

john

And this year was mild for pollution, I feel for those who considered this year bad for Smog.

Archived