Thai DLT to crack down on speeding vans and driver misbehavior

webfact

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has stepped up measures against speeding vans and van operators who exhibit vulgar behavior especially during the New Year long holiday.

Oh dear, another crackdown. How many times have we heard of this particular crackdown? Just more hot air, as usual.

And why will this crackdown be enforced 'especially' during the New Year long holiday? Why not 24/7? Nothing but hot air with officials attempting to make it seem as if something 'might' be done.

We have heard it all before and, no doubt, we will hear it again, and again, and again.

• Like 1

Everyday I go out on my bike I have to deal with some <deleted> driving far too fast and far too close, everyday I think about giving up driving here, what do the police do all day? how many more waste of time crackdowns will there be? Red light runners, wrong way drivers, speeders, tail gaters all mostly go unpunished! time for tea!

I think it's clear that a raft of crackdowns under the current regime is like a new particularly strict headmaster enforcing rules in a school.

As soon as he leaves the room, usual behaviours will return.

What is needed is a mechanism to drive perpetual change.

The UK did it in the 70's with 'clunk click' and 'keep Britain tidy' seat belt wearing and rubbish awareness.

Australia did it in the 90's with drink driving public awareness campaigns.

Who was it did the Clunk/Click ads?????

I'm bored of the crackdowns. I'm sick of the new regime. Go back to Thailand ten years ago. Thailand was a lovely place.

The reason we loved it was the freedoms it gave us. Conforming to western standards destroys the charm. More expensive, less welcoming, where can I go now?

• Like 1

if the police actually did what they were paid for and enforced the road laws this wouldnt be necessary. Police are never on the roads, the reason the western world has better road enforcement is due entirely to the police patrolling the roads and issuing fines etc on drivers that break the law. Here we never see them out of their offices, they could make an absolute motza for the govt if they started issuing fines to all those breaking the laws but that would entail having to do some work which seems to be something thai police have an aversion to.

"Here we never see them out of their offices ..."

You are so wrong. Why, the other day they stopped me on my motorcycle. Can you just imagine that? disgraceful behaviour.

They love stopping motorcycles for the not driving left offence. They are an easy target, they are abundant. So its a lot money in a short time. Now going after real dangerous things like speeding vans, crazy cars, drunk drivers and such. That takes more of an effort and less baht per minute.

I'm bored of the crackdowns. I'm sick of the new regime. Go back to Thailand ten years ago. Thailand was a lovely place.

The reason we loved it was the freedoms it gave us. Conforming to western standards destroys the charm. More expensive, less welcoming, where can I go now?

Go Cambodia, freedom is nice.. but not when it cost other people's lives so yes crack down on dangerous driving drinking and driving all for it.

This is no more of a crackdown than any other just the usual hot air.

Apart from fines drivers need to to have their offences hammered home with proper periods of disqualification not a week then a month and any one driving while disqualified should be jailed for contempt of court.

Note I use the words ' need ' and ' should ' being well aware such stringent action will never take place.

And therein lies the problem A lot of huff and puff but I feel little will change. Van drivers were still driving with arrogance yesterday and will be doing so tomorrow. They got enthusiastic about foreigners living and working here without correct visas, something similar please. People will die on the roads tomorrow still.

• Like 1

I think it's clear that a raft of crackdowns under the current regime is like a new particularly strict headmaster enforcing rules in a school.

The UK did it in the 70's with 'clunk click' and 'keep Britain tidy' seat belt wearing and rubbish awareness.

No other than the infamous "Jimmy Saville" (in his better days?)

No other than the infamous "Jimmy Saville" (in his better days?)

Yes but his saying was actually "clunk click pick up a kid"

• Like 1

This is no more of a crackdown than any other just the usual hot air.

Apart from fines drivers need to to have their offences hammered home with proper periods of disqualification not a week then a month and any one driving while disqualified should be jailed for contempt of court.

Note I use the words ' need ' and ' should ' being well aware such stringent action will never take place.

And therein lies the problem A lot of huff and puff but I feel little will change. Van drivers were still driving with arrogance yesterday and will be doing so tomorrow. They got enthusiastic about foreigners living and working here without correct visas, something similar please. People will die on the roads tomorrow still.

Foreigners with incorrect or no visas rarely cause fatalities, van drivers unlicensed, incompetent and plain arrogant often do. Just a matter of priorities?

• Like 1

Instead of announcing crackdowns, am I the only one who would prefer to have the results of the crackdown announced after the fact instead?

Don't give the offenders time to react.

As one poster mentioned earlier, there shouldn't be a need for crackdowns, this should be routine.......................wink.png

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

Just set up more speed cameras, that solves the problem easily. Just like how folks who drive on the bangkok-chonburi highway knows at certain points there are speed cameras and they will drive slower after they have been caught next time. Same goes for toll roads around Bangkok, where some areas the police are there with speed cameras and fine drivers at toll stops. It doesn't solve the problem 100% but at least it makes drivers drives slower, with the points system in place and license suspension, that will make people more aware of driving the limit.

• Like 1

The problem is that on taking power it was stated the task of the new govt was to set up a constitution and elections within a year.

Not only have they admitted this is not possible but they are also getting enmeshed in the day-to-day minutiae of running the country. One can only assume this is some kind of populist propaganda campaign to give the impression that they are actually doing something?

The problem is that on taking power it was stated the task of the new govt was to set up a constitution and elections within a year.

Not only have they admitted this is not possible but they are also getting enmeshed in the day-to-day minutiae of running the country. One can only assume this is some kind of populist propaganda campaign to give the impression that they are actually doing something?

I saw this article and I laughed, and I laughed, and I laughed ... and I laughed ...

I hate to say it but surely this is 'all my ass' ... in more than a decade I have only seen one instance of a traffic policeman on the so-called 'expressway' get out of his car and do anything.

Are they going to use thought control? cheesy.gif

i bet the "crackdown" (they just love that word don't they) will last as long as the "crackdown" (got me saying it now) on the scooters being ridden on the pavements, about one day i expect, i need a "crackdown" on my spending, just love it Lol !!

This crackdown has been done by the YL government too. They were going to install chips to track the vans. I haven't heard anything about it anymore. Just having the police enforce would be better as them fining bikes. But bikes are easy targets so that wont stop.