Whats A Resonable Amount To Send Back Home?

SeanC07

My thai gf has recently come to England to stay with me for about 6 months, which is great but the only downside (I think) is that she has asked me to send 25,000 baht a month back home to cover her bills and rent for her apartment while she is living with me!!

I just find that amount a bit excessive, could someone let me know if they think she is asking for a little too much or is it a perfectly acceptable amount!! :o

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess it depends on where she rents etc, my gf's rent was only 3000baht a month when she was at Rangsit, Phone 800 baht, water and electricity 300 each, some for brother while he is at uni 1500, but it all depends on personal circumstances.

Guess it depends on where she rents etc, my gf's rent was only 3000baht a month when she was at Rangsit, Phone 800 baht, water and electricity 300 each, some for brother while he is at uni 1500, but it all depends on personal circumstances.

She says she has a credit card and other electrical goods still to pay off, the thing is I really want to trust her and if I start thinking too much about it, it may cause problems with our relationship so I think its best if we sit down and go over what exactly the money will be going on!

My thai gf has recently come to England to stay with me for about 6 months, which is great but the only downside (I think) is that she has asked me to send 25,000 baht a month back home to cover her bills and rent for her apartment while she is living with me!!

I just find that amount a bit excessive, could someone let me know if they think she is asking for a little too much or is it a perfectly acceptable amount!! :o

What bills if she is living with you?

25K is reasonable if she was earning somewhere near double that and she has a large family to support. And several sick buffalo.

On the other hand 25K is concidered a fine wage for a middle management thai, more than a friend of mine with 18 years in the public service is paid.

I would negotiate.

Ask for change from 10K

Hi SeanC07

My first thought was, who was paying for her apartment before she came to stay with you. 25,000 Baht is a lot of money. If she's staying for 6 months I assume she handed her notice in to her employer - I don't know any company that would give 6 months holiday....so that begs the next question; who's going to pay the bills when she goes back home :o

She says she has a credit card and other electrical goods still to pay off, the thing is I really want to trust her and if I start thinking too much about it, it may cause problems with our relationship so I think its best if we sit down and go over what exactly the money will be going on!

A very good idea!

How are we going to know how much she needs for her apartment?

What is/was her job? Then someone could tell you how much she was earning. Actually, why not ask her?

If she is a normal working class girl, then 5,000 should be about right.

I just find that amount a bit excessive, could someone let me know if they think she is asking for a little too much or is it a perfectly acceptable amount!! :D

Tell her she should be more responsible and should have thought about this before she left Thailand. :o

Hi SeanC07

My first thought was, who was paying for her apartment before she came to stay with you. 25,000 Baht is a lot of money. If she's staying for 6 months I assume she handed her notice in to her employer - I don't know any company that would give 6 months holiday....so that begs the next question; who's going to pay the bills when she goes back home :D

Hello geoffphuket

she paid for the apartment herself, I'm sure she told me before it was only about 3000 baht per month, I just don't want the rose tinted glasses that I seem to be wearing to have an effect on my vision!! :o

She has quit her job, the plan is to go back for 2 weeks in January and get an extension so she can return for another 6 months!!

A very good idea!

What is/was her job? Then someone could tell you how much she was earning. Actually, why not ask her?

She was an accountant for 10 years but for the last year she worked in an exclusive club called The Soprano House as a PR girl, I know some people may think the worst but I totally trust she was a good girl!! :o

A very good idea!

She was an accountant for 10 years but for the last year she worked in an exclusive club called The Soprano House as a PR girl, I know some people may think the worst but I totally trust she was a good girl!! :D

:o:D:D You should have posted that in the Jokes forum.

Hi SeanC07

My first thought was, who was paying for her apartment before she came to stay with you. 25,000 Baht is a lot of money. If she's staying for 6 months I assume she handed her notice in to her employer - I don't know any company that would give 6 months holiday....so that begs the next question; who's going to pay the bills when she goes back home :D

Hello geoffphuket

she paid for the apartment herself, I'm sure she told me before it was only about 3000 baht per month, I just don't want the rose tinted glasses that I seem to be wearing to have an effect on my vision!! :o

She has quit her job, the plan is to go back for 2 weeks in January and get an extension so she can return for another 6 months!!

There's no extension for a holiday visa, she'll have to make a completey new visa application. I'f she's quit her job then the British Embassy in Bangkok may take a dim view of it and assume she's no intention of returning.....visa refused!

I seriously don't think you're getting the full picture as to what's going on. Those glasses arn't rose tinted, they're completely fogged.....have you got a white stick to go with them? :D

Hi SeanC07

Hello geoffphuket

There's no extension for a holiday visa, she'll have to make a completey new visa application. I'f she's quit her job then the British Embassy in Bangkok may take a dim view of it and assume she's no intention of returning.....visa refused!

I seriously don't think you're getting the full picture as to what's going on. Those glasses arn't rose tinted, they're completely fogged.....have you got a white stick to go with them? :D

This is the reason why I was having second thoughts about posting my questions, I wanted advice not to be laughed at, next time I will think twice!! :D

Hi SeanC07

Hello geoffphuket

This is the reason why I was having second thoughts about posting my questions, I wanted advice not to be laughed at, next time I will think twice!! :D

Sometimes the truth hurts. The replies you've received have been given in all good faith from those with more experience.

Hi SeanC07

Hello geoffphuket

Sometimes the truth hurts. The replies you've received have been given in all good faith from those with more experience.

Yeah I understand that, are there any decent thai girls out there not willing to rip off and farang that comes along??? if yes why can't she be just that???

Yeah I understand that, are there any decent thai girls out there not willing to rip off and farang that comes along??? if yes why can't she be just that???

Because she is already asking you for B25,000 per month while you are putting her up in your own place. Wake up mate.

This is the reason why I was having second thoughts about posting my questions, I wanted advice not to be laughed at, next time I will think twice!! :o

Fair's fair. Substitute ''My girlfriend in London'' for ''My thai gf'' and you might see why people are having a giggle. Thailand may be a big, scary foreign country, but it's not another planet.

Just a thought, but 25,000 (baht)/30 (days) = 1 bar fine per day (plus 200 or so baht).

Sean - well don't know your lady from the next, but seems awful lot of dosh to be handed over for a flat she won't be using. I think you need to sit down with her and get a detailed breakdown on her finances because obviously you don't know and if you are going to assist with her finances I think you have a right to know.

Edited by britmaveric

Hi SeanC07

Hello geoffphuket

Well, that takes you back to your original question, why she's asking for 25,000 Baht/month?

Hello SeanC07,

Are you rich or poor? Are you hideously ugly, or rather physically attractive? Are you young or old?

If I was rich, and ugly and old I would pay the 25,000 baht in a flash, and bedtime would be early.

If I were young and watching my spending and dreaming of teue love: then forget it. Change the date on the return air ticket, give her some taxi fare and start again.

Thailand has many single women who will make you happy and not rip you off. Take your time and choose carefully.

Good luck...

Thanks libya 115

I'm 30, wouldn't say rich, I don't have a problem getting gf's not to sound too big headed, I will have a chat tonight with her and see what the story is before I make a rash decision, the last thing I want to do is split as its been a full on year and a half and you do make a strong bond over that time!!!

Sean

There will always be people on here that just love to have a laugh at someone's elses expense. Just ignore that and try to cotton on to the good nuggets of advice that you will find dispersed amongst the drivel.

No one here is in any position to guess the nature of your girlfriend or your relationship, so I will not comment on the motives behind the request. 25,000 is more than most Thais would be living off, so it certainly seems more than she would need to just pay the rent. If she says she has credit card bill, and expects you to pay them, ask for the statements - you are entitled to see them. This may also give you an idea where her money is going.

Can she get rid of the apartment, or if she does not want to do that, can she sub-let to a friend?

Be firm, be wary and keep your wits about you. Judge each demand with the same cool and calm approach, but be firm once you have decided what you are prepared to pay.

Good luck with it all. There are many farangs on this forum in long, happy and stable relationships with Thais, so do believe that it is possible. But as I said, be as objective as you can and keep your wits about you.

Thanks libya 115

I'm 30, wouldn't say rich, I don't have a problem getting gf's not to sound too big headed, I will have a chat tonight with her and see what the story is before I make a rash decision, the last thing I want to do is split as its been a full on year and a half and you do make a strong bond over that time!!!

like bees to a honey pot :o

This is the reason why I was having second thoughts about posting my questions, I wanted advice not to be laughed at, next time I will think twice!! :o

come on you know your being done not laughed at just done - you just dont want to admit it - nor would i - sorry old chum your being had like a kipper - the honest tihng is not to post this here but tell her straight - i bet you wont like the answer - shes sending money to her family - simple as that

up to you but your in for a hel_l of a ride if you continue to be lbind - hope your young and can handle grief later

come on you know your being done not laughed at just done - you just dont want to admit it - nor would i - sorry old chum your being had like a kipper - the honest tihng is not to post this here but tell her straight - i bet you wont like the answer - shes sending money to her family - simple as that

up to you but your in for a hel_l of a ride if you continue to be lbind - hope your young and can handle grief later

footnote now ive read the whole thread

yes there are decent girls out there but young or old a lot of sharks to try and grab you - if u want it find 1 and then stay together 2 years+ give her a lot to begin saying its for your future and see what happens - its cheaper in long rung - i put 2 million yes 2 million (baht) in my wifes account before we married and waited - wow she left it alone and gave it back when i asked for it - maybe she was clever but at time she really believed it was all i had - now 5+ years later we laugh at my trap - dont be a statistic - trust your wife partner or leave her. By the way whe was poor and 10,000 baht was most shed ever earned before - up to you but i think your being had

I presume you helped your 'g/f' apply for her visa to the UK and therefore must have had sight of her income and savings.

Was she making more than 25K a month?

Let me make an observation of Thais I know who do earn over 25K a month - They live on a fraction of what they earn, and they make every effort to cut out any unecessary expense.

Go back and check the documents she put before the embassy - 25K a month is a sh1t load of money to give anyone, it's over GBP4K a year - wake up and smell the coffee.

or at least calculate how many holidays in Thailand 4K gets you.