Police Harassment in Pattaya Today

media

Since the weather is so nice, I left the car at home and went for a ride on my scooter. dressed like a decent person and wearing a crash helmet. Police jump in front of me at their usual check point Sai 2, just before Mikes shopping. 1pm
I thought they only stop people without a helmet? they ask me to lift my seat up and look inside, i have to show them my licence and papers delay me a few mins.
My question is, I have never been stopped in my car, not in 10 years, and never been stopped on foot,

So WHY do they harass people just because they are riding a scooter even when there was no traffic crime or reason to stop me.

Surely there should have to be a reasonable reason to perform a stop check

• Like 2

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

For gods sake man, stop complaining. It's not harassment, it's a routine check.

They probably thought you were Thai, they don't usually stop foreigners who wear helmets.. but they often stop and question/search Thai's.

Oh no, that's discrimination !!

Thats what I thought and mentioned on the comment about Pattaya on BKK thread. Ive spent quite a bit of time in Pataya over 14 years and there always seems to be people getting nicked at road blocks in the Pattaya local Rags. As you mention mainly Thai's

Sounds like a simple check rather than harassment.

They let you go on your way didn't they?

In Thailand they do not have to have a reason to stop you.

Bike riding tourists (or farangs) often do not have a valid licence and provide a nice income, not as many get cars as bikes.

Although I ride more out of town I try to put a positive slant on it thinking that at least they are checking for illegal drivers.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

Anyone who thinks that is a checkpoint intended to catch evil types carrying guns and knives or traffic offenders is kidding themselves. But whether they are targetting foreigners is a moot point (maybe at that spot, but not elsewhere that I have seen).

Agree with the OP about cars. In 26 years, only once been stopped for a breath test, and only a couple of times for general check. On the m/b? Untold dozens.

The sheer number of stolen motorbikes or ones with outdated papers are factors in these road checks along with driving licence checks.

Unlike cars where tax stickers are visible in windscreens, motorbike tax stickers are in all sorts of not readily visible places.

Not wearing a helmet makes an obvious target but wearing one does not indicate that all else is in order.

In town centres is does not make sense to have cars queued up at check points whereas motorbikes can be.

I have been stopped in a car quite a few times for routine checks but these are admittedly rare and out of town centres.

If you have been here ten years you should know they don't need a reason

If you have been here ten years you would also know that checkpoints are common, you would also know what they were for, and you would also know to have all your documents in place and be legal, you would think anyway.....

I happened to see a friend of mine at the local car wash yesterday getting his bike cleaned up. I saw clear plastic card holder around his neck and I asked what that was for. All his documents so he can get to them easily when stopped. Which is pretty much every day. And he doesn't pay fines as his docs are all in order.

Down where I live, Thais get pulled over just like foreigners. I've been stopped many times in my car. I just show my docs and I'm on my way.

Often times, criminals use cars, trucks and scooters to transport guns, drugs and other illegal items. Using a public street requires a person to observe tradfic laws, traffic signals and directions from police officials.

The police are tasked with intercepting those that use these roadways for such illegal purposes. I am not a fan of the RTP, which I believe is dysfunctional, poorly trained and dishonest. That being said, there is a valid reason for these check points.

One Day at a Time.

Bike (not car) checkpoints are normal for Pattaya. It doesn't at all sound like the OP was stopped to look for drugs and he wasn't asked to take a urine test, so this was a normal checkpoint. Lifting the seat I would have normally taken for them looking for the paperwork. They will almost always stop you if you do not have a helmet or they will randomly stop both Thais and falang to check for licenses and proper paperwork for the bike.

NORMAL...not what is happening in Bangkok.

Edited by oneday

If you have been here ten years you should know they don't need a reason

If you have been here ten years you would also know that checkpoints are common, you would also know what they were for, and you would also know to have all your documents in place and be legal, you would think anyway.....

I happened to see a friend of mine at the local car wash yesterday getting his bike cleaned up. I saw clear plastic card holder around his neck and I asked what that was for. All his documents so he can get to them easily when stopped. Which is pretty much every day. And he doesn't pay fines as his docs are all in order.

Down where I live, Thais get pulled over just like foreigners. I've been stopped many times in my car. I just show my docs and I'm on my way.

I've been pulled over on my scooter so often now, and as much as 4 times in one day, it's got to the point now where, as I stop, many of the policemen recognise me, give me a smile and wave me on without checking my documents, because, I always have them and they know it! Stay within the law and carry all the required docuents and you'll be on your way after a quick check. rolleyes.gif

I have been here ten years and had the occasional stop in my pickup, this week I have been pulled twice, nice salute, licence please, ok and I am on my way, the tax disc is in date , never asked for blue book or insurance, however I do have a dash cam so every stop is recorded. I never drink and drive but having seen some examples of both Thai and farang driving so police stops do not faze me. People need to realise that if they are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver then your insurance will have to pay out and yes I know it's usually the farang insurance that pays out anyway!

Edited by JohnC

Because if you open your seat and you have no tax, insurance and no licence, they make money. As simple as that.

Anywhere in the world that I know of, if you don't have a license, pay registration, and have no insurance, you are going to be fined. Why do people think that Thailand is different than everywhere else? I have been stopped many times, and they have been polite, just doing their job. I have never seen them take a bribe from others, I do see them write tickets, in which you go to the Police Station and pay your fine. Just like America. I do understand that right now they are looking at registrations since this is December. If your registrations say the year 2557, chances are it is out of date. It is so easy to spot these in December.

• Like 2

I've been pulled over on my scooter so often now, and as much as 4 times in one day, it's got to the point now where, as I stop, many of the policemen recognise me, give me a smile and wave me on without checking my documents, because, I always have them and they know it! Stay within the law and carry all the required docuents and you'll be on your way after a quick check. rolleyes.gif

Exactly what documents do I need to carry on the bike? I'm moving there in January and I'd like to have it all in order before I get stopped for the first time. biggrin.png

I do have my motorcycle license and IDP from my home country. Other than that, I've got no clue what I should have on me when I ride.

^^^ the bike needs an up to date tax sticker, a green registration book and proof of government insurance paid and ideally the bike should have no modifications made to it.

On the fine issue ( and that is indeed what they are so "tea-money" is not a term that applies ) the penalties here are lenient in the extreme when compared to some countries where points are put on licences that can accumulate to licence revocation, vehicles confiscated if insurance not proven and very heavy fines comparatively.

• Like 1

This is the perfect time of year to stop people on bikes. A quick look at the tax disc and most should show the year as 2558, if it shows 2557 there is a good chance that it has expired. Only a couple of weeks left of this year. It is easier to do this on a car with the tax disc on the windscreen, on a bike it needs to be stopped to see the tax disc.

Next time you see a checkpoint park up and watch. The huge majority of those stopped are Thai. The police have seen me so many times they recognise me and wave me through. The last time I was stopped, about two years ago, was so the officer could borrow my licence to show a foreigner and ask if he had one.

Looking under seats? It doesn't take a genius to understand they are looking for questionable items.

In 14 years of riding and driving here I have never been fined.

I do wonder at the mentality of those who ride without a helmet then complain that they have been fined.

Edited by BWPattaya