Police Harassment in Pattaya Today

media

To say it's harassment is a stretch; especially for one who has lived in Thailand for sometime. As I have lived here less than a year, I am still learning many new lessons. One such lesson is that not wearing a helmet will cause your license to be confiscated until the fine is paid on Soi 9...The receipt shown to the police officer will easily retrieve the license. Police check points are a simple fact in Thailand. If one has the required docs, license and 'hat' then mai bpen rai...

Edited by ToS2014

Because if you open your seat and you have no tax, insurance and no licence, they make money. As simple as that.

And why not, if that’s the case then you have broken the law and deserve everything you get! There really are some pathetic answers on here these days, a lot of engaging the typing finger before the brain . . . . yet again most of these replies are given by the mentally challenged!

If you are 'legal' and have tax / insurance etc you have nothing to worry about. I am quite happy to get stopped and see the look of disappointment on their faces when they have no reason to fine you. Also happy for them to check the bike for drugs, anything is ok to stop this vile trade.

I lived in VT-6 and almost always got stopped on the 2nd Road Soi12 checkpoint. Before and after the coup there was little change, they always made people hire a motorbike taxi guy to go to Soi 9 and pay the fine and get their bike back. The Russians walked to the police station, lol. The Pattaya police are really okay if you don't do anything wrong or get public like Sharky. I have a Chonburi Thai DL for a car and a Motorbike and I aways have a copy of my passport front page and vehicle title. I've been pulled over more times in the past 5 years than I can count but I've never had to pay in Pattaya. All they ask for is my Thai DL and that's all they want to see and I'm waved on. The military checkpoints are even better for farangs. No 200 baht tee money.

No not me Lenny, wrong again.

Yes stupid rules as there is no crash helmet standard in Thailand that is enforced

Most helmets are just thin plastic totally useless. They are Just for show to the cops.

And to act as a sun shade. So yes stupid.

But again no crash helmet will help you when your smashed into at 150k when they run the red lights. Or a head on when people travel the wrong way up a carriageway.

And guess what, its not the tourists doing it on mass it’s the Thais and the police do nothing.

Stopping people to check licence , Tax, what ever a is just a money game played for many years in pattaya

Amazing Thailand.

It is for yours and everyone elses safety, it's a checkpoint not harassment, if you are lae abiding you will have no problem.

How many times have these checkpoints got drugs and guns off the streets.

Harassment....pfffffft!

Agreed, its hardly harassment.

It definitely is harassment in this particular location. They only pick on motorcyclists and aim for foreigners (of course they stop Thais too to make it appear legit). Why? Because motorcyclists are easy to pull over in large numbers with out interfering with traffic flow and they make quite a bit of revenue on no-International Drivers Licence "offenses" and of course the usual no-helmet offense, 3-up etc. In some areas (usually along the bottom end of Pratumnak Road at night the police have a plane clothes associate near by to negotiate immediate payments. How do I know this? I've paid these guys in the past. Why? It was convenient at the time as I was on the way out to have dinner with friends. That was a 3-up offense. Another favourite spot is around the corner from a "turn-left wait for red" intersection. Some Australian friends paid their way out of this too not so long ago. They are quite careful about how they receive their payments though.

There are much more useful operations they could be doing to ensure public safety, but there's no easier revenue collection and it's really close to the Soi 9 police station for quick ticket payment. The other favourite "harassment points" are on 2nd Road near Central and just outside the police station on Beach Road, which is even easier now with an extra lane.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

It is for yours and everyone elses safety, it's a checkpoint not harassment, if you are lae abiding you will have no problem.

Harassment....pfffffft!

Interesting!

The guy was wearing helmet, and was stopped for no reason at all, well, not any reason in law books anyway, one of parties involved personal financial needs aside.

So in what way was he stopped for his, or everyone else's safety, as you put it? How was a guy riding a scooter and wearing a helmet a danger to himself, or others?

Possible retired foreigners gang member, storing an Uzi under the scooter seat maybe? If not that, then what?

Im curious, why do you feel the need to defend this extortion racket?

What if in the interest of public safety (and OF COURSE our own safety), random road side strip searches will be introduced? I understand you will approve, but I doubt most others here would.

We have no rights here, thats granted.. But it surprises me every time, when a fellow foreigner approves, and even applauds to this!

Did you actually read anything on here?

A checkpoint does not discriminate against who is wearing a helmet or not, that is the point, now to quote you "How was a guy riding a scooter and wearing a helmet a danger to himself, or others?" you really want an answer? how would you or anyone else, police included, know what was under the seat of the motorbike? why do you post with such vigour knowing absolutely nothing about what the OP or any other driver has under their seat - how could you, that is the whole point of a checkpoint!

As for the guy not getting stopped in his car - no idea, perhaps he keeps it in the garage, avoids Sukhumvit every other day, dont know.

Is it just the silly tourist season that brings out all the dumbass posters, next will be scam this scam that by people who do not know the meaning of the word but nevertheless makes them feel good to say it.

These 2nd Road and Beach Road locations are not checkpoints. They stop motorcycles only at random and focus on foreigners. It has happened to me many times (about 6 times in the last 2 years). I actually know the times and places now and avoid them. A checkpoint is a restricted area with signs where all the vehicles go through. You see these checkpoints in other areas of town, but don't get the two confused.

• Like 1

Not harassment, but last night at around 3am the police had the road blocked off going into Pattaya at the Pratumnak junction, I was coming back from watching the football in Jomtien and had 3 beers, they were stopping everything including cars, I was lucky just slipped though and turned down soi 7 towards Pattaya park, I would say around 20 cops with flashlights.

Be Careful these days if you have had a beer or two, even cars are not safe from being pulled over.

Drinking and driving don,t mix stay off the road next time please sad.png

anyway what pepole say about thai police or the scam or whatever, thailand is 1000 times better place the most western countries, the different between thailand and western countries are in thailand police/bargirls steal your money, but in most western countries the goverment steal your money (huge taxes)...

also the 24 hour time go get food here, all kinds off food we have also here.

Amen brother, you speak the truth. Get a ticket in the USA and it's pang like 3000 baht and points on your record and insurance rates go up. Before the coup you paid 200 baht tea money and no points against you and no insurance increases. Now after the last 2 coups, police checkpoints are less about tea money and more about drugs and weapons when you travel outside of Pattaya.

The Moo 10-11 Sai 2 police checkpoint is just as classic in Pattaya as the jet ski operators opposite this area (Mike Shopping) on Beach Rd. I got stopped several times because I was riding a restored Kaw GTO 125. I was wearing a full helmet and had a Thai motorbike license, they never asked for more and sent me on my way. Some of them even saw my plume of oil burning out of my pipe and waved me on especially on Walking St. early mornings. Driving something like this would get me pulled over by every local cop in the USA.

Harassment....pfffffft!

Interesting!

The guy was wearing helmet, and was stopped for no reason at all, well, not any reason in law books anyway, one of parties involved personal financial needs aside.

So in what way was he stopped for his, or everyone else's safety, as you put it? How was a guy riding a scooter and wearing a helmet a danger to himself, or others?

Possible retired foreigners gang member, storing an Uzi under the scooter seat maybe? If not that, then what?

Im curious, why do you feel the need to defend this extortion racket?

What if in the interest of public safety (and OF COURSE our own safety), random road side strip searches will be introduced? I understand you will approve, but I doubt most others here would.

We have no rights here, thats granted.. But it surprises me every time, when a fellow foreigner approves, and even applauds to this!

Did you actually read anything on here?

A checkpoint does not discriminate against who is wearing a helmet or not, that is the point, now to quote you "How was a guy riding a scooter and wearing a helmet a danger to himself, or others?" you really want an answer? how would you or anyone else, police included, know what was under the seat of the motorbike? why do you post with such vigour knowing absolutely nothing about what the OP or any other driver has under their seat - how could you, that is the whole point of a checkpoint!

As for the guy not getting stopped in his car - no idea, perhaps he keeps it in the garage, avoids Sukhumvit every other day, dont know.

Is it just the silly tourist season that brings out all the dumbass posters, next will be scam this scam that by people who do not know the meaning of the word but nevertheless makes them feel good to say it.

These 2nd Road and Beach Road locations are not checkpoints. They stop motorcycles only at random and focus on foreigners. It has happened to me many times (about 6 times in the last 2 years). I actually know the times and places now and avoid them. A checkpoint is a restricted area with signs where all the vehicles go through. You see these checkpoints in other areas of town, but don't get the two confused.

I also have this experience living at VT-6 and walk to Lek and Apex for the food. They mainly pull over Farang and let the local Thais off because they have no money. But since the coup, you have to pay the ticket off in the Soi 9 Police Station. Don't even try to give them tea money now, the new PM has corruption on his to-do list and the BIB outside of Pattaya are very nervous. Inside Pattaya, I have no comment.

• Like 1

Harassment....pfffffft!

It definitely is harassment in this particular location. They only pick on motorcyclists and aim for foreigners (of course they stop Thais too to make it appear legit). Why? Because motorcyclists are easy to pull over in large numbers with out interfering with traffic flow and they make quite a bit of revenue on no-International Drivers Licence "offenses" and of course the usual no-helmet offense, 3-up etc. In some areas (usually along the bottom end of Pratumnak Road at night the police have a plane clothes associate near by to negotiate immediate payments. How do I know this? I've paid these guys in the past. Why? It was convenient at the time as I was on the way out to have dinner with friends. That was a 3-up offense. Another favourite spot is around the corner from a "turn-left wait for red" intersection. Some Australian friends paid their way out of this too not so long ago. They are quite careful about how they receive their payments though.

There are much more useful operations they could be doing to ensure public safety, but there's no easier revenue collection and it's really close to the Soi 9 police station for quick ticket payment. The other favourite "harassment points" are on 2nd Road near Central and just outside the police station on Beach Road, which is even easier now with an extra lane.

Agreed, I see this on Sai 2 and Beach Rd at Soi 9. And the reason is correct. The police are a little nervous about the new PM and the Thai Navy watching Pattaya. What you pay now is at the police station. Harrasment? I think not.

Harassment....pfffffft!

I still don't think its harassment especially as far as expats are concerned, no helmets or 3 up etc is asking for it, expats should know better.

You got pulled because you were 3 up, that's your fault I'm afraid.

Its easy enough to get a license in Pattaya and to ensure the bike is taxed, I've been stopped there before on the bike, he looked at my license and bike tax, said ok thank you and let me go.

They're doing their job and if people aren't legal then they're fined.

Tourists however there should be something done as some have bike licenses from their countries and that should be ok IMO.

:)

• Like 1

I also have this experience living at VT-6 and walk to Lek and Apex for the food. They mainly pull over Farang and let the local Thais off because they have no money. But since the coup, you have to pay the ticket off in the Soi 9 Police Station. Don't even try to give them tea money now, the new PM has corruption on his to-do list and the BIB outside of Pattaya are very nervous. Inside Pattaya, I have no comment.

Yes, the police in this area are not taking direct payments - they're doing official "business" for the Soi 9 police station. I was referring to the small teams of 1 or 2 police that plague the lower areas of Pratumnak Road, from the overpass down towards the Pattaya Tai intersection. They start in the afternoon and they've been doing it for years. If you watch them closely you'll see them let offending Thai motorcyclists past unless there's some foreigners watching them, in which case they'll stop a token Thai. It's nasty business and definitely fits the description of harassment. They used to stop foreigners (never Thais) for turning right from 3rd Road onto Pratumnak Road before they legalized the turn. One time he (the fat dude) tried to stop me because he thought I turned right when I had turned left. These guys are really keeping Pattaya roads safe, aren't they?

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

If they cared about safety they would clamp down on rental places renting to unlicensed drivers.

I got pulled over again today at the tourist trap checkpoint and they did let me go. I now carry with me a binder full of documentation, you should've seen the look on the guys face expecting no license and I pull a binder and start flipping though documents. He was all ready to write me a ticket too. :P

A couple of years ago a Thai girl I know had a gold chain ripped from her neck whilst she was riding a bike on Sukhumvit. She reported it immediately. Within 15 minutes she had a call from the police asking her to go to Soi 9 police station to collect her chain. They had stopped the thief's bike and got the chain.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not harassment, but last night at around 3am the police had the road blocked off going into Pattaya at the Pratumnak junction, I was coming back from watching the football in Jomtien and had 3 beers, they were stopping everything including cars, I was lucky just slipped though and turned down soi 7 towards Pattaya park, I would say around 20 cops with flashlights.

Be Careful these days if you have had a beer or two, even cars are not safe from being pulled over.

Drinking and driving don,t mix stay off the road next time please

3 bottles of Singha lite is legal in just about every country in the world for driving, but thanks for your concern

A couple of years ago a Thai girl I know had a gold chain ripped from her neck whilst she was riding a bike on Sukhumvit. She reported it immediately. Within 15 minutes she had a call from the police asking her to go to Soi 9 police station to collect her chain. They had stopped the thief's bike and got the chain.

What is the point of this story? ... if you report a snatched gold chain to the police within 15 minutes Pattaya's finest will get it back for you???

That girl won the jackpot that day, that's for sure.

What is the point of this story? ... if you report a snatched gold chain to the police within 15 minutes Pattaya's finest will get it back for you???

That girl won the jackpot that day, that's for sure.

The point is that a police check on a bike found stolen property.

3 bottles of Singha lite is legal in just about every country in the world for driving, but thanks for your concern

That's fully wrong!

With 3 Singha Light you are over the limit in Thailand and many (most?) other countries !

3 bottles of Singha at 3.5% alcohol

=> 3 * 0.33 l * 0.035 ~> 35 ml of alcohol

Alcohol density 0.79 ~> 27 g of alcohol

=> BAC about 27 x [0.020 - 0.25] = 0.54 to 0.67, depending of body mass and other physical parameters

The BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration) Limit in Thailand is 0.5 : You are over already !

Most European countries have this same 0.5 limit, or even less.

Here is a link with world limits: http://www.icap.org/table/BACLimitsWorldwide

So please stop driving after 3 Singha Light 1zgarz5.gif

and stop affirming such false statements without checking them before wink.png

• Like 1

That's fully wrong!

With 3 Singha Light you are over the limit in Thailand and many (most?) other countries !

3 bottles of Singha at 3.5% alcohol

=> 3 * 0.33 l * 0.035 ~> 35 ml of alcohol

Alcohol density 0.79 ~> 27 g of alcohol

=> BAC about 27 x [0.020 - 0.25] = 0.54 to 0.67, depending of body mass and other physical parameters

The BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration) Limit in Thailand is 0.5 : You are over already !

Most European countries have this same 0.5 limit, or even less.

Here is a link with world limits: http://www.icap.org/table/BACLimitsWorldwide

So please stop driving after 3 Singha Light 1zgarz5.gif

and stop affirming such false statements without checking them before wink.png

According to this NHS page it takes 1 hour to break down 10ml of alcohol, so as I said I was in the bar to watch the football, which is almost 2 hours, before i got on the bike i had already broke down 20ml making it safe to drive

httpwww.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/853.aspx?CategoryID=87

"2 units in a pint of low-strength lager, beer or cider (3.6%)", so according to the NHS guidelines I had 3 units, 2 of which had gone before i even got on my bike

Other factors you also don't know about before making your false assumption is the food I had before I went out, my size and if my liver is healthy, which it is as I recently had a medical

From this UK drink driving guideline

http://www.80mg.org.uk/guide.html

"men should consume no more than 4 units, women no more than 3"

"and stop affirming such false statements without checking them before"

I have been in the alcohol business for nearly 40 years, I think I know what I am talking about by now