Thailand Tipping - when is it a definite NO?

David48

In all honesty, I usually leave whatever coins I have and or given back in change, nothing to do with service, its more about me not liking pockets full of shrapnel.

''shrapnel''.tongue.png LOL

Charlie is talking about the brass stuff.....as he certainly wouldn't give away a full baht....he's tight as a fishes bum hole......especially when it's his shout....so I'm told wink.png

Have you met Mr Toad ... w00t.gif

Apparently makes CharlieH look like a Choir Boy.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Must have been a gullible farang who left the 40 baht tip even thought you never said.

Mate, could have been a newbie to Thailand.

Almost definitely a Tourist as opposed to a long term stayer/resident.

I remember when my Sister came here for the second time to Thailand.

She liked the pineapple. She liked that the Street Vendor always smiled at her and was friendly.

When I asked what she pays for the fruit ... it was 30% more then what you or I would.

She stills lives with the 'oh, poor Thai people' mentality.

For her, she sees it as a Charity Donation. Up to her.

40 baht is 66% of 60 baht.

The Tourist (he was a Yank ... but I didn't wish to cloud the OP with his origins) was buying the Chicken Sticks.

My sister is not a Yank.

Two different people, hence the two examples.

Your maths example, unfortunately, got them mixed up.

Go into any decent club or restaurant in UK or OZ and tipping is a must, otherwise you would be waiting indefinitely for your next drink.

BS ... sorry, but BS.

Not saying Aussies don't tip.

But the bill arrives at the end of the night, so the level of service doesn't change ... they, the service staff don't know if you'll tip ... or not.

Not my recollection either from the UK ... but my time there was 20 + years ago and things change.

Tipping is a gratitude for good service received or/and way of receiving little more than usual.

The usual know it all expats in thailand , many of whom are simply tight asses do not seem to grasp that tipping is a must in thailand .

Staff serving them are not impressed by their few words in thai.

HAHAHA...Love this part of your post. Well said!

Don't tip if Ya don't want.But remember you have the money to come to Thailand.So you have money to tip.Most Thai people don't have anywhere the type of living that I do.So I don't have problem on leaving A tip.Usually anywhere from 10-20%.Just because your tight with your money doesn't mean I need to be.

Aside from situations where it is routine/expected (e.g: restaurants, hotel staff who bring up luggage or room service etc) and rounding up taxi fares a little if it's an odd amount, I tip whenever the person has taken extra trouble/been of unusual assistance or something I have done has caused them extra work or hassle.

For example, I often travel with pets and several times my cat has either gotten out or was mistakenly thought to have done, causing the hotel staff to spend time searching. Most recently hotel maid lost an hour and fell behind in her work for this reason (as it turned out cat was simply hiding in a closet). In situations like that I give some money and explain it is because of the trouble I caused them. It is much appreciated (and increases the likelihood they'll help me in future)

Likewise I use a local taxi service from my home to the airport and overland crossing with Cambodia, fixed price. It is run by people who own the vehicle so I do not normally tip. However sometimes I have them stop along the way so that I can do some shopping, or the plane is significantly delayed, in both instances they end up spending more time than is normal or than they would have planned on which may in turn cause them to miss their next appointed pick up, or in any case to put in more time than they had reason to expect when they agreed on the price. In such cases, I give extra.

It is not just the money, it is the fact that you show sensitivity to their inconvenience/the impact on them of delays or extra tasks, that is appreciated.

If the service is good and there is no service charge on the check bin, I leave Bht 100 for up to about Bht 3,000 and Bht 200 for up to Bht 6,000. Over that, I think about it and may put 300 or more depending on how good the service is and how well I know the restaurant.

Go into any decent club or restaurant in UK or OZ and tipping is a must, otherwise you would be waiting indefinitely for your next drink.

BS ... sorry, but BS.

But the bill arrives at the end of the night, so the level of service doesn't change ... they, the service staff don't know if you'll tip ... or not.

Not my recollection either from the UK ... but my time there was 20 + years ago and things change.

I have lived for over 20 years in the uk and you don't tip ..its just not done.. and as far as the service goes...what service ;-)

BS ... sorry, but BS.

So you have not been to any decent clubs ?

According to my gf, tipping in Thailand is an insult. Bar girls and the indigent are the only ones to be tipped. Tipping really is an archaic system for bwana to deign his blessings on the 'little people.'

If this is the case, then why do coffee shops and restaurants, staffed by Thais, have a Tip Box, rather than a Charity Box (for the indigent), next to the till?

BS ... sorry, but BS.

Nice try ... but no cigar.

In all honesty, I usually leave whatever coins I have and or given back in change, nothing to do with service, its more about me not liking pockets full of shrapnel.

Get a piggy bank and throw them in there!.....

Also on subject of tipping, Having a beer at an outside beer bar I don't find any need to tip. Anywhere having a service charge, I no longer tip and I am not interested who gets the service charge, it's an addition to my bill over and above the food, drink and tax.

Taxis, not really but will round up. Restaurants, yes if no service charge but there is no obligation to follow the 10% western ideals. Good service and not rolling their eyes when I want something or ogling ang giggling at their Facebook updates on their mobiles whilst supposedly serving, I will tip!!... in their hand for good service and if food is good on the bill tray as well.

Go go bars I have not frequented then in years and at todays prices from what friends tell me, I wouldn't tip!

A workman doing a great job on the house for me, fixing my computer at home, or things of that nature I will tip 100/150 baht or so as I know their daily wages are not great for an honest days work.I also tip the barber in the village giving 100 baht for a 60 baht haircut.

Edited by Scouse123

BS ... sorry, but BS.

Nice try ... but no cigar.

Was not after a cigar, you posted supposedly a genuine question, to which i gave you an answer

I am sorry you do not like the answer, but that does not change the facts,

No doubt you have heard Q Bar in Sydney, friend of mine worked back bar for years, Fri and Sat night $700 in tips each night.

Blue Room, door man, at least $500 in tips each night.

Chicane on Fri and Sat nights, bar staff pool $3000-$4000 per night.

Cafe Iguana, weekdays $150 in tips each staff, around $250 on Fri and Sat night

I can go on, but you get the point.

EDIT ... from the comment over page ...

Ah ... not for a moment do I think that in those overprice swanky places do the wait staff receive a tip.

Interesting though that the person receiving the tips was ...

'your friend',

it was several years ago,

but you can recount, to the dollar, the usual tip amount.

So yes ... I get your point ... a friend told you.

Edited by David48

EDIT ... from the comment over page ...

Ah ... not for a moment do I think that in those overprice swanky places do the wait staff receive a tip.

'your friend',

yeah, good onerolleyes.gif

Ran all of the above mentioned, ie part ownerw00t.gif

As i said, just because you have never been to a decent place it does not mean it does not exist

As you said, back to Thailand, no different and works the exact same way.

In decent places, service staff makes 20K-30k per month in tips.

'your friend',

<snip>

'Manager' and 'part owner' ... laugh.png

Meanwhile ... back in Thailand

Edited by David48

How many <deleted> times as this topic come up? Simple answer - it's not America, don't tip 10%.

If there is a service charge , don't tip.

Be careful you don't insult some by giving a tip, ie dentists, barbers, clothes menders etc

I've been getting my haircut by the same barber for over 12 years. The price has always been 25 baht and I have always given 40 baht. He's never offended and we're nowhere near a tourist area where they might expect a tip from a farrang.

Tip when you think the service was really good or beyond expectations. You could tip any person that provides a service. At restaraunts it's sometimes the waiters who get to keep all the tips, not sharing it with the bartender or kitchen staff. Having been both a waiter and bartender I know that some customers and staff can be tight khi nok b*stards. Excellent food and avarage service, waiter keeps all the tip, that ain't right.

When not to tip? When the service was avarage or worse, basically when you feel like there is no need to reward the staff with money or goods. Or when there is a service charge, even if tight assed owner keeps most or all of it. It's wrong to automatically include a tip on the bill, more so when it's not going to the staff.

Speaking of service charge, I noticed that a Shabu (hotpot), the Thai text on the menu says nothing about any service charge. The English text says there will be 10% service charge. My Thai friends, who invited me and paid the bill, said that for Thai there always is a service charge too, even though it is not listed on the menu. I kinda doubt that, seeing the "non Thai pay more" attitude that you find in various settings. Anyone knows if Thai only tables pay a service charge at Shabu?

Like the tip jar in my bar [years ago] said: "Tipping is not a city in China!"

Tipping is for a job well done, expedience, service above and beyond, and for generally a good attitude towards work. If you felt good, then it's a way of sharing that feeling (except in countries like the U.S.). If you are miserable no matter what, then don't worry, it shows and no one expects you to tip. Just don't forget, Thai business owners in touristy areas are taking advantage of the farang habit of tipping and pay the staff less and many take "their share" from the tip jar! Don't be surprised your no-tipping-no-matter-what policy does not go across too well as the staff will be thinking you are short changing their salary.

If I do tip, at restaurants I usually leave a small amount of change on the tray and tip the waiter/waitress directly. The tip on the tray is to be shared, but the money in hand is personal. If I'm with my wife, I'll have her tip the waitress (again, this is assuming there is a reason to tip) so there is no misunderstanding about me having taken a liking to the waitress.

Living in the States I used to leave the tip under my plate or coffee cup and if there was any comments or bad attitude shown then I would simply go and remove the tip... I do that in Thailand to tip hard working restaurant cleaning staff when the waitress is clearly too snobby to touch the dishes. They never get tipped and it's a nice surprise for them to find some small change.

The best tipping quote (Hint: It's a comedy):

"It's not tipping I believe in, it's over tipping"

Steve Martin as Vince Antonelli in My Blue Heaven after tipping a flight attendant $100.

Edited by MrY

How many <deleted> times as this topic come up? Simple answer - it's not America, don't tip 10%.

If there is a service charge , don't tip.

Be careful you don't insult some by giving a tip, ie dentists, barbers, clothes menders etc

I've been getting my haircut by the same barber for over 12 years. The price has always been 25 baht and I have always given 40 baht. He's never offended and we're nowhere near a tourist area where they might expect a tip from a farrang.

Well I hope he gives you a decent shave and massage as you're paying 60% tip.

12 years and no increase in price [ - wow.

Just remembered one cheap barber I went to who asked to see my dick. I said no way and of course didn't give him a tip. You don't ... no never mind.

'your friend',

<snip>

'Manager' and 'part owner' ... laugh.png

Meanwhile ... back in Thailand

Not all of us are farmers or factory workerscoffee1.gif

PS. in case you were not familiar with business operations, good owners work their business to keep hand on the pulse, bad owners sit back and let others run their business all the way down to the groundthumbsup.gif

I the service is bad, the thing most Thais do is leave 1 baht. I've done this a couple of times to show my annoyance.

If the waiting staff hand my wife the menu,I generally don't tip. Once I went into MK with my kids and the stupid waitress gave the menu to the eldest and looked straight through me.

My wife, who is Thai, says: 20 baht bills is tip money.

Well why didn't we just ask her at the start?

Maybe she can join and be the expert on Thai etiquette.

Please ask her if you should tip the barber.

Edited by Neeranam

I the service is bad, the thing most Thais do is leave 1 baht. I've done this a couple of times to show my annoyance.

If the waiting staff hand my wife the menu,I generally don't tip. Once I went into MK with my kids and the stupid waitress gave the menu to the eldest and looked straight through me.

Not to mention the English only menu, which just happens to be twice the price of the Thai only menu.