Thailand in WW2

Smurkster

Ok, so I know that officially Thailand was part of the Axis during WW2, but did they really have any involvement?...from what I know, it was simply a way to satisfy their Japanese occupiers and sort of a "we don't want any trouble, so we will be on your "side." I know Kanchaburi and Ao Manao had some historic significance but can any history buffs explain to me what sort of role Thailand had during the conflict??

My great uncle fought in Burma during WW II. He remembered the Thai soldiers. He said you had to be careful with them and that they would kill you if they could.

the thai soldiers were on the other side. why wouldn't they try and kill him?

For the people that are a little slow...They were good soldiers.

• Like 1

My great uncle fought in Burma during WW II. He remembered the Thai soldiers. He said you had to be careful with them and that they would kill you if they could.

Compassion ?

and risk being shot as a traitor? lol

• Like 1

funny way of putting it

• Like 2

First, the Japanese were not occupiers.

Are you sure about that?rolleyes.gif

At the time of the ceasefire, Britain and the United States regarded Thailand as Japanese-occupied territory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasion_of_Thailand

Wiki man speak with many voices.biggrin.png

On December 21, 1941, a mutual offensive-defensive alliance pact between the two countries was signed The agreement, revised on 30 December gave the Japanese full access to Thai weapon equipment and to Thai railways, roads, airfields, naval bases, warehouses, communications systems and barracks'

Thailand was rewarded for Phibun's close cooperation with Japan during the early years of war with the return of further territory that had once been under Bangkok's control, namely the four northernmost Malay states after the Malayan Campaign. In addition, the Thai Phayap Army was permitted to invade the eastern part of the Shan States and the Karenni States of Burma that was annexed as Saharat Thai Doem.[2][8][10] Japan meanwhile had stationed 150,000 troops on Thai soil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand_in_World_War_II

Was Japan occupier or an ally? Follow the money. Did the USA freeze Thai assets? Who could draw on those frozen assets and why?

The Japanese invasion of Thailand started at the same time as Pearl harbour. Due to the dateline it was 8 Dec in Thailand and 7 Dec in Hawaii.

To be precise the start was at an RAF airfield in Northern Malaya where bombs were dropped about 20 mins before the bombing of Pearl.

Theyre on home soil they know what to eat and wont feel hot sweaty etc imagine being in the jungle as an Englishman...............it must have been a nightmare.

Can you imagine the Thais fighting in Alaska?

I can't imagine the Britts fighting in ALASKA either LOL

• Like 2

To support another OP - when I say prisoners of war I'm not being Eurocentric - most of them were not whites- the word farang means foreigner. Thousands of Indonesians where shipped here - the Dutch had a propensity to recruit Mollucans (an old colonial trick use one tribe or group of islanders to persecute the rest) - a large number of the troops captured in Singapore, Malaysia and Burma were Indian - also all their Non-Commissioned Officers were Punjabi (another colonial trick - getting another religion to manage simple Hindis who joined the British army to avoid the grinding poverty). By the way the Japanese also used the same technique some of the nastiest camp guards were Korean.

To support another OP - when I say prisoners of war I'm not being Eurocentric - most of them were not whites- the word farang means foreigner. Thousands of Indonesians where shipped here - the Dutch had a propensity to recruit Mollucans (an old colonial trick use one tribe or group of islanders to persecute the rest) - a large number of the troops captured in Singapore, Malaysia and Burma were Indian - also all their Non-Commissioned Officers were Punjabi (another colonial trick - getting another religion to manage simple Hindis who joined the British army to avoid the grinding poverty). By the way the Japanese also used the same technique some of the nastiest camp guards were Korean.

The word 'falang' means caucasian. It is a racial term.

Indonesians are not falang.

Indians are 'khek' not falang.

• Like 2

This might be an interesting link....http://countrystudies.us/thailand/21.htm

seems like they complied with the Japanese because the Japanese used the defeat of France by Germany to "gain concessions for Thailand from French indochinese territory"

If this is factually correct, some of this is a pretty bleeding black eye on Thailand's record in that sense

sure we'll let you pass through our country to invade these two other ones, give us amnesty and never mind you have reeked havoc , killed thousands already, and after that give some of the land are occupying to us because it used to be ours and we'll be good

looks like they were interested in an even bigger Siamese state, one that would have included all of Lao, Cambodia Burma and Malaysia, that why was the made these deals with the Japanese.

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 1

Theyre on home soil they know what to eat and wont feel hot sweaty etc imagine being in the jungle as an Englishman...............it must have been a nightmare.

Can you imagine the Thais fighting in Alaska?

I can't imagine the Britts fighting in ALASKA either LOL

The Russians could, that's why they sold Alaska to the USA rather than possibly lose it for no gain if they lost another war with Great Britain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Purchase