Canadian triple entry Tourist Visas: Updated

Thanks, I might be needing one of those next year:) Hopefully you don't get any grief when you try to re enter the country after your first 90 days.

------------------

Probably not.

But you still need to note that that the visa expires (must enter by date) from the date of issue, not date of entry into Thailand.

And all 3 entries must be used before that expiration (must enter by date).

Keep those 2 things in mind, and you should be good.

• Like 1

...So, I have a brand new shiny triple entry visa, validity as normal - 180 days...

Normal validity would be six months, but some consular employees at some consulates make it 180 days.

maybe I need a coffee but is 180 days pretty close to 6 months more or less? haha

Edited by bkkjames
  • Like 1

If the visa was issued on the 1st of this month 6 months would be the 1st of June 2015. Using 180 days it would be the 29th of May. A difference of 2 days.

I would say that 99% of tourist visas issued will be 3 months or 6 months. Days are not used for visa validity.

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up. I know couriers are dear (that said, I only paid 500 Baht from TH to AU with DHL a couple of years back) but isn't there some kind of government mail that is registered (where the recipient has to sign for it)?

If the visa was issued on the 1st of this month 6 months would be the 1st of June 2015. Using 180 days it would be the 29th of May. A difference of 2 days.

I would say that 99% of tourist visas issued will be 3 months or 6 months. Days are not used for visa validit

The difference between 6 months and 180 days is Maintaining Canadian residency. If you are out of Canada for more than 181 days in 1 year, you are no longer a resident of Canada. Most likely you will not have Medical coverage when you return to Canada, could be taxed at a different rate, and loose out on some pensions. The two days could cost you a bundle. When you do make a boarder run, they stamp it for 60 days, not 2 months.

• Like 1

I would say that 99% of tourist visas issued will be 3 months or 6 months. Days are not used for visa validit

The difference between 6 months and 180 days is Maintaining Canadian residency. If you are out of Canada for more than 181 days in 1 year, you are no longer a resident of Canada. Most likely you will not have Medical coverage when you return to Canada, could be taxed at a different rate, and loose out on some pensions. The two days could cost you a bundle. When you do make a boarder run, they stamp it for 60 days, not 2 months.

The 6 months or 180 days does not mean how long you can be in the country. It is only the amount of time you have to use all the entries allowed by the visa from the date it was issued. A 3 entry tourist visa can give you almost 9 months of stay by getting a 30 day extension for each 60 day entry.

I don't know about Canada's rules for being out of the country and anyway that is off topic.

Thread hijacking attempt. I'm Canadian, I'm looking to sell some CDN $ that i have back in Canada to someone who wants to trade for Thai baht. Anywhere from 100-150,000 baht. So if you know any Thais that are planning on visiting Canada that need dollars, or anyone in a scenario that wants dollars for baht, please contact me. Thx

My, my "loose" pensions and "boarders" being forced to run. What has the world come to?

Is all this something new? I've known Canadians resident in far-flung places for years on end who didn't seem unduly concerned about pensions vanishing or being denied medical coverage. In fact some of them have since returned to Canada and are enjoying both.

Great info. I also live in Victoria and have been wondering about the visa options , What exactly did you apply for ? was it dependant on your age? I'm under 50 yrs old but would like to go to LOS for 6 months. Thanks for any info.

thumbsup.gif

Since the O/P was talking about tourist visas, your age would hardly matter, although many older tourists upon arrival in Thailand seem to enter their second childhood.

If you were trying for a non-imm O with the intention of applying for an extension of stay based on retirement or applying for a non-imm O-A, your age would be a factor.

really neat to see a fellow Victorian. My Thai wife and I live in Buriram from November - March then back to Victoria (Colwood). I had a similar awesome experience withe the Vancouver Thai consulate for $180 got my Non Immigrant O multiple entry visa based on marriage. Last year I was still doing back-to-back border runs.

• Like 1

It is all quite easy.

The Thai Consulate in Vancouver will give you a three entry visa - as other Posters have said; Can$120.

You get 60 days on entry to Thailand - they include the day of entry as Day One. If convenient, get a 30 day extension (e.g. Phuket Town Immigration) and then after 90 days you MUST go out of the country. Back in to get another 60 days - which again you can extend by 30 days. Then if you like, out of country again after the 30 days is up for another 60 days when you get back in.

British Columbia now allows 7 months out of the country for the medical Care Card services. It is a bit costly, but it works.

Isn't 25 dollars a bit steep for postage? I remember paying just over 5 euros in total for registered mail. Had my passport back in less than than 48 hours.

Were you able to track it online,see receipt signatures and its movement back and forth. That is what xpress post is in Canadia.

Thanks for clearing that up. I know couriers are dear (that said, I only paid 500 Baht from TH to AU with DHL a couple of years back) but isn't there some kind of government mail that is registered (where the recipient has to sign for it)?

I just paid 65 dollars for a DHL document envelope to Thailand from Canada. Ouch!

If you have been a resident of Canada for at least 20 years you have no risk of losing any benefits. Medical coverage is not free and is paid monthly. Contrary to what some believe is free medical in Canada. In British Columbia it cost $126. a month for a family. or 60 for a single. If you can put yourself in a low income the cost becomes partitioned based on income down to $23 a month family. Canada is very helpful to its expats who have paid their 20 year dues and that rule is very clear on the services Canada website. Below find the Thai Canadian help list. Note the pension cert issue. You may lose 25% of your pension at the outset but you will recover it when you do your annual tax return.

Canadian Embassy

http://www.canadaint...s.aspx?lang=eng

Notarial Services

Notarial Services such as consular declarations, oaths, affirmations, affidavits, statutory declarations and authentications of signatures on documents are provided by the consular section for a fee of CAD $50 per notarization. Please call the consular section of the Embassy to make an appointment and confirm fees. Hours of operation are from 09:00 to 12:00, Monday to Friday.

Please note that the Australian Embassies in Laos, Cambodia and Burma do not provide any notarial services for Canadian citizens. Please contact the Embassy of Canada in Bangkok, Thailand, in relation to notarial services.

Reasons for having a document notarized include:

· Marriage in Thailand

· Drivers’ Licence or Vehicle Registration (statement of residence in Thailand)

· Work Permit (General declaration)

· Passport (Statement of Identification)

· Permanent Residence (Statement of Pension)

• Like 1

Thread hijacking attempt. I'm Canadian, I'm looking to sell some CDN $ that i have back in Canada to someone who wants to trade for Thai baht. Anywhere from 100-150,000 baht. So if you know any Thais that are planning on visiting Canada that need dollars, or anyone in a scenario that wants dollars for baht, please contact me. Thx

offtopic.gif Laundering of cash money is illegal

My, my "loose" pensions and "boarders" being forced to run. What has the world come to?

Is all this something new? I've known Canadians resident in far-flung places for years on end who didn't seem unduly concerned about pensions vanishing or being denied medical coverage. In fact some of them have since returned to Canada and are enjoying both.

Your last 2 lines are the norm and your first line is some misinformed fear mongers idea.

...So, I have a brand new shiny triple entry visa, validity as normal - 180 days...

Normal validity would be six months, but some consular employees at some consulates make it 180 days.

maybe I need a coffee but is 180 days pretty close to 6 months more or less? haha

The most you could lose is four days, but what could you do with four more days vacation?