NHRC unfazed by protests as it awards rights advocates

Lite Beer

NHRC unfazed by protests as it awards rights advocates
The Nation

30249741-01_big.jpg

A representative of the Dao Din Group gets dragged off stage yesterday after he tries to deliver an unscheduled speech at an event where the National Human Rights Commission gave human rights awards to several prominent figures.

BANGKOK: -- Several prominent figures were honoured with Outstanding Human Rights awards from the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) yesterday.

High-profile activist Srisuwan Janya, famous environmentalist Sasin Chalermlarp, former senator Tuenjai Deetes, Chulalongkorn University lecturer Jessada Denduangboripant and the student-activist Dao Din Group were among the award winners.

However, the award-presentation ceremony was mired with several hiccups, as many different groups of students showed up to protest.

One Dao Din representative who tried to speak out of turn onstage had to be dragged away.

The NHRC handed out the awards yesterday to mark International Human Rights Day, which falls on December 10 every year. The awards were handed out to honour people, groups and organisations who have made valuable contributions to the promotion and protection of human rights over the past two years.

Srisuwan, who heads the Stop Global Warming Association, was honoured for his outstanding performance in promoting, defending and protecting human rights in 2013.

While the ceremony was being held, several groups of student protesters showed up to condemn the NHRC's work and the ongoing martial law.

But NHRC chairwoman Amara Pongsapich said: "Some people may think the martial law violates human rights, but we need to understand that martial law needs to be in place while the country's reform road map is being implemented.

"In such circumstances, you need to find a balance."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NHRC-unfazed-by-protests-as-it-awards-rights-advoc-30249741.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-13

But NHRC chairwoman Amara Pongsapich said: "Some people may think the martial law violates human rights, but we need to understand that martial law needs to be in place while the country's reform road map is being implemented.

"In such circumstances, you need to find a balance."

How can people meet and discuss reform when martial law prohibits gatherings of more than 4 people? - people who may think.

but we need to understand that martial law needs to be in place during the reform process and its implementation - people who don't think.

Am I the only one that sees the irony of free speech being supressed at a ceremony giving awards for Oustanding Human Rights achievements?

And a human rights organisation stating that martial law doesn't violate human rights.....

Am I the only one that sees the irony of free speech being supressed at a ceremony giving awards for Oustanding Human Rights achievements?

And a human rights organisation stating that martial law doesn't violate human rights.....

Well it does not violate human rights as much as being gunned down or blown up by terrorists freedom fighters does.

Dragging an attention seeking uni student off a stage beats dragging bodies off the street any day.

The streets of Dodge City have been safer since the new sheriff rode into town. clap2.gif

Or do you prefer the good ol' days ?

• Like 2

Well it does not violate human rights as much as being gunned down or blown up by terrorists freedom fighters does.

Dragging an attention seeking uni student off a stage beats dragging bodies off the street any day.

The streets of Dodge City have been safer since the new sheriff rode into town. clap2.gif

If anything, the violence in the South seems to have escalated since the new sheriff rode into town. Or does that not count because it is so far away? Last time I checked that was also part of Thailand.

It is a slippery slope to facism when we voluntarily give up our human rights.

Does one laugh or cry?

If anything, the violence in the South seems to have escalated since the new sheriff rode into town. Or does that not count because it is so far away? Last time I checked that was also part of Thailand.

It is a slippery slope to facism when we voluntarily give up our human rights.

The sad thing is, there are a good few on here reading your last sentence and thinking 'Yeah, so what? Great! That'll keep 'em in line!'

Typical! They selected a day for human rights .... mmwwaaaHHHHHHH

December 10th is an international institution and was first conceived by the UNCHR back in 1950.

You're missing my point ...

There are circumstances where a lesser evil is better than a greater evil. When organisations like Human Rights Watch call for a 'return to democracy' I find that totally fallacious because there was no democracy to start off with. So what we have now is (I hope) a genuine attempt to make the populace understand that democracy is not as described by Thaksin and his thugs. Democracy is not simply voting. Democracy continues after the ballot box. And indeed without the rule of law there can be no democracy. Thailand's got a long way to go. I am hopeful that what the General is doing now is laying the foundations for a democratic future for this country. We all have to wait and see. But certainly the peace we have now (which the police are seemingly trying to disrup t with their actions in Sukhumvit) is far better than the dictatorship under Thaksin that this country has had to suffer for so many years/.

• Like 2

It's even more ironic if we remember that the NHRC has critised the use of the internal security act by Yingluck's government in the name of the right to peaceful gathering to express opinions :)