I decided to conduct a Science Experiment ...

David48

A long day or two can do it for you. I once set the kitchen on fire deep frying some chips going back to the warm lounge room and forgetting. Got the pot off the stove and placed it on the floor burned a beautiful black ring on the lino. Put it out

with a blanket, tossed the pot. Here my fabulous step son did it only with a gas burner, luckily I was drinking a coffee on

the back porch and turned the gas off before it became deadly, the fire went out itself then. Got a fire blanket in the

kitchen now

• Like 1

Wife did similar with a very large pot of stew. Reduced it to charcoal bricketes.

Suffice to say we have a smoke alarm now. Still doesn't help if you light the stove then go out for a few hours.

Instead of using the perfectly good refrigerator, food it left out all night and warmed up in to morning to stop it going bad.

Edited by Pomthai
  • Like 1

Just a heads up. If that is a Teflon skillet than toss it as it is now hazardous to use. If not, then what I do is put water in it with some soap and bring it to a boil for a while.

I did the detergent, boiling water and let it soak overnight thing first up ... it laughed as if ... is that the best you have.

And yes, you are correct, it is Teflon coated.

Seriously ... throw it away?

No problem to do that ... how does the chemical change?

Become toxic?

Thanks

Just a heads up. If that is a Teflon skillet than toss it as it is now hazardous to use. If not, then what I do is put water in it with some soap and bring it to a boil for a while.

I did the detergent, boiling water and let it soak overnight thing first up ... it laughed as if ... is that the best you have.

And yes, you are correct, it is Teflon coated.

Seriously ... throw it away?

No problem to do that ... how does the chemical change?

Become toxic?

Thanks

It becomes potentially carcinogenic among other hazards. This is when overheated and not general use. In your case, it's pretty much a certainty that the coating has broken down and I for one would no longer trust it.

The answer is a qualified one. They're safe, says Robert L. Wolke, Ph.D., a professor emeritus of chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh and the author of What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained, as long as they're not overheated. When they are, the coating may begin to break down (at the molecular level, so you wouldn't necessarily see it), and toxic particles and gases, some of them carcinogenic, can be released.

WebMed

• Like 2

Actually -- if any teflon coated pan that has had any amount of burning in it will have melted and changed the plastic coating, and really the pan should be binned. I used to use pre-burnt pans for other interesting things like flower-pot trays (knock the handle off) :)

I have heard of some guy who continued the burning process to remove the remaining coating and then burnished the pan smooth to the point where it was useable again -- but I'd not do that unless the pan was of a good metal ;)

And more information:

In two to five minutes on a conventional stovetop, cookware coated with Teflon and other non-stick surfaces can exceed temperatures at which the coating breaks apart and emits toxic particles and gases linked to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of pet bird deaths and an unknown number of human illnesses each year, according to tests commissioned by Environmental Working Group (EWG).

In new tests conducted by a university food safety professor, a generic non-stick frying pan preheated on a conventional, electric stovetop burner reached 736°F in three minutes and 20 seconds, with temperatures still rising when the tests were terminated. A Teflon pan reached 721°F in just five minutes under the same test conditions (See Figure 1), as measured by a commercially available infrared thermometer. DuPont studies show that the Teflon offgases toxic particulates at 446°F. At 680°F Teflon pans release at least six toxic gases, including two carcinogens, two global pollutants, and MFA, a chemical lethal to humans at low doses. At temperatures that DuPont scientists claim are reached on stovetop drip pans (1000°F), non-stick coatings break down to a chemical warfare agent known as PFIB, and a chemical analog of the WWII nerve gas phosgene.

More here - http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/teflon4.htm

• Like 1

I'm not allowed to use the stove.

... cheesy.gif

I think I might be on probation!

EDIT ...

Hint taken ... will ditch said saucepan ... maybe I'll just buy a plain metal one next-time.

Whoopee ... David Christmas gift to himself ... facepalm.gif

Edited by David48

Look on the bright side .... she'll never let you cook again ..... don't kill yourself before you get back - better watch how you treat your sausage from now on..... get a micro wave and a good MW cookbook = has a timer ..... ditch the pan - takes hydrocloric acid to make Teflon.....once punctured can be trouble......

• Like 1

Friend of mine once came home from a night out, fired up the deep fryer and when it was heated up he took a vacuum packed half chicken with sauce that he had in the fridge and threw it in the hot oil.frame2.gifframe2.gif

He only forgot to remove the packaging, so it came out of the deep fryer by its own as fast as he had thrown it in.

Another time he came home he took a can of of meatballs in tomato sauce and warmed it up, while he switched on the television.

After a while he heard a loud bang in the kitchen, since he had just opened the hot plate and put the can can unopened on the plate.

Kitchen ceiling was painted red.

Been there, done that. There must be some ingredient in beer that makes you want to eat something that requires cooking when you are ratarsed: sausages, bacon, chips, rather than a cold snack like a cheese sandwich. If someone could find out what that ingredient was, that would be a proper scientific discovery. Next time phone out for pizza.

David with a black sausage !!!

Where have you been playing? Does the better half know?

Sounds like something from the black death except from the groin upwards (Maybe some of Costas's fleas??).

But.......

That burnt sausage looked more like an English one than one of those chipolatas.

OK. OK. I am going - but - if it had been a Cumberland sausage.........

Years ago I was roasting a chicken in the oven, and decided to take a shower. I could smell smoke and ran out to pull the chicken from the oven.

My flat mate walked in and I was standing naked with a roast chicken in front of me.

Didn't that take some explaining.