Yingluck still more popular than Abhisit: survey

Lite Beer

In case no one has noticed Yingluck is better looking than Abhisit. Unfortunately she wrecked the economy with silly policies. She is a pale shadow of her brother who is actually an incredibly good businessman and who led the country to a period of sustained high growth.

And still, there's people out there who are convinced that Abhisit can beat Thaksin in a two-horse race !!

I've said this once, and I'ill say it again. If we're going to see Thaksin not as leader, the following must happen. Abhisit pulls out of whatever election, the junta will take part in the election. Now then, Thaksin verses the junta, and throw in the little parties as well, but NO Abhist. Is this the democratic election everybody wants ? Can the pro-Thaksinites and the anti-Thaksinites say NO to this election ?

Thailand has to go back to being a democracy. America and Europe have downgraded their poltical and economic links with Thailand since the coup. This can't carry on forever. Thaksin or the junta, Thailand needs to be a democracy. Winning an election will mean that the junta is democratically elected. Abhisit taking part will split the anti-Thaksinite vote.

And if Thaksin wins again, (and he surely will in a two-horse race between Thaksin and Abhisit), well, we're back to a load of Chinese in yellow shirts and/or whistles, bringing Bangkok to a standstill. Throw in bus-loads of people from South Thailand.

Does anyone want to see this ? Does anyone want to go back to square one ? People who have got a shop or whatever bussines in Bangkok certainly don't want this. And it don't do foreigners any good either.

It really doesn't matter as convicted criminals CANNOT stand in elections anyway. That was probably one reason why the amnesty for Thaksin was rammed through (or tried to be anyway) and possibly one reason was Abhisit was charged with murder.

Call an election any time you like and she will walk it, which is why they won't until they have rigged the deck. There is no way I would like her back in power, but it should about what the majority want, not just me.

Try providing viable political alternatives if you don't like them instead of just seizing power in a sulk.

Yes, yes. And the brute killer Jesse James enjoyed considerable crowd celebrity as well. It IS sad that so many thais continue to imagine or crave a path forward so liberally greased with snake oil. The current government, while certainly not democratically elected, seems "viable" enough, as a short term solution anyway. Certainly more "viable" than the rank remote-control kleptocracy that preceded it.

But dear rubl, why would I need to complain prior to the coup ? You complain about Thaksin allegedly interfering with a government, yet find no fault in the previous government being 'installed' with backroom deals involving the military AND Newin, a banned politician.

As of course Newin was involved, and you know it, how would Abhisit's government be possible, they needed the seats after all.

Not sure about your last sentence, why would Abhisit be disadvantaged ? I believe all politicians are currently disadvantaged.

the governement that was made possible by Newin whilst he was serving a 5 year ban from politics, so that points to the Abhisit coaltion.

At the very least, people that voted for PT knew of Thaksin's involvement, they hardly kept that a secret.

I doubt Newin would object, after all, his party even tried to join Yingluck's governement.

Being called a criminal in Thailand means only one thing, being unable to get away with it. Ask Newin, he should know..

Tjeez, the rubbish some write!

For one the Abhisit government was made possible by the military I was told, that would leave out Newin. For another being called a criminal fugitive in Thailand means having been sentenced and having fleed justice.

As for your "I cannot remember you objecting to this at the time, ", better stop before going off at the deep end. Look in the mirror, did I hear you before the coup?

Anyway the amazing part of poll of this topic might not be Ms. Yingluck's position (after all everybody loves doting mothers who take care of their kids), but the position of Abhisit. After all he is in a real disadvantage publicity wise.

But dear rubl, why would I need to complain prior to the coup ? You complain about Thaksin allegedly interfering with a government, yet find no fault in the previous government being 'installed' with backroom deals involving the military AND Newin, a banned politician.

As of course Newin was involved, and you know it, how would Abhisit's government be possible, they needed the seats after all.

Not sure about your last sentence, why would Abhisit be disadvantaged ? I believe all politicians are currently disadvantaged.

So, why did you question why I might not have complained in December 2008 when allegedly Newin was involved in the formation of the Abhisit government? consistency not your strongest point?

As for Abhisit being disadvantaged, well, he's not a seemingly doting mother, now is he? Difficult for him to show a certain firmness combined with a feminine touch and still be seen as serious rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Call an election any time you like and she will walk it, which is why they won't until they have rigged the deck. There is no way I would like her back in power, but it should about what the majority want, not just me.

Try providing viable political alternatives if you don't like them instead of just seizing power in a sulk.

The figures are of course nonsense.Call an election tomorrow without interference from the military, conduct it transparently with credible local and international observers.Hypothetically place Yingluck as head of the PTP and Abhisit as head of the Democrats.I can assure all - the perceptive know it already - that the result will not be level pegging.

The old order is unravelling before our eyes and there's a wind of change blowing in Thailand.It may take some time but the final outcome is inevitable.

there's a wind of change blowing in Thailand

we can hope, but honestly, if I decide to hold my breath for that, I suspect that it'll be for (more than) a few years ...

You are probably right but there can be no argument about the eventual outcome by which I mean the ability of the Thai people to determine for themselves who should be their representatives.

Let's hope we don't need to wait until 2032.

On one hand, I agree completely with you, and on the other hand, I do not doubt the determination of, nor the measures to which the entrenched elite will go in order to preserve their power.

• Like 1

You are probably right but there can be no argument about the eventual outcome by which I mean the ability of the Thai people to determine for themselves who should be their representatives.

On one hand, I agree completely with you, and on the other hand, I do not doubt the determination of, nor the measures to which the entrenched elite will go in order to preserve their power.

True, true. I heard that Amply rich guy Thaksin hasn't given up yet. If Ms. Yingluck takes her son on a holiday trip abroad I'm sure she's accidentially bump into him for an update. Also the Pheu Thai top will find a reason to go abroad and by-the-way wish their party owner all the best.

Seasons greetings to you too, my friend,

uncle rubl

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Once we left our two cats with a neighbour while on holiday in Chiang Mai for four or five days. She also had a cat. She called as we were leaving saying she'd been called away due to a family crisis and the cats were in the house with loads of food, but they hadn't been out for two days so the litter tray/house may be a mess.

A neighbour let us in her house and the cats shot out to do their business. The litter tray was a sorry sight. The stench unbearable as it was as full as an ice cream cone.

That litter tray would have the same chance as Abhisit of winning an election fairly in Thailand.

True, true. I heard that Amply rich guy Thaksin hasn't given up yet. If Ms. Yingluck takes her son on a holiday trip abroad I'm sure she's accidentially bump into him for an update. Also the Pheu Thai top will find a reason to go abroad and by-the-way wish their party owner all the best.

Seasons greetings to you too, my friend,

uncle rubl

someday I guess that you'll understand that it is not about Thaksin.

the governement that was made possible by Newin whilst he was serving a 5 year ban from politics, so that points to the Abhisit coaltion.

At the very least, people that voted for PT knew of Thaksin's involvement, they hardly kept that a secret.

I doubt Newin would object, after all, his party even tried to join Yingluck's governement.

Being called a criminal in Thailand means only one thing, being unable to get away with it. Ask Newin, he should know..

Tjeez, the rubbish some write!

For one the Abhisit government was made possible by the military I was told, that would leave out Newin. For another being called a criminal fugitive in Thailand means having been sentenced and having fleed justice.

As for your "I cannot remember you objecting to this at the time, ", better stop before going off at the deep end. Look in the mirror, did I hear you before the coup?

Anyway the amazing part of poll of this topic might not be Ms. Yingluck's position (after all everybody loves doting mothers who take care of their kids), but the position of Abhisit. After all he is in a real disadvantage publicity wise.

So, why did you question why I might not have complained in December 2008 when allegedly Newin was involved in the formation of the Abhisit government? consistency not your strongest point?

As for Abhisit being disadvantaged, well, he's not a seemingly doting mother, now is he? Difficult for him to show a certain firmness combined with a feminine touch and still be seen as serious rolleyes.gif

You were the one complaining about Tasking being allegedly involved in the forming of Yingluck's coalition, so your consistency is being questioned here, I never complained about either.

Of course Abhisit isn't the doting mother, whether that puts him at a disadvantage is debatable. I believe he simply lacks popularity to win a general election, as he has proven time and time again.

Oh said another way basically a quarter of the population preferred Yinluck and a quarter Abhisit...and the remaining half of the population didn't give a crap.

Maybe you missed the news the other day. It seems even having a cartoony picture of a square faced Asian can result in a truckload of military guys smashing down your food stall and taking you away for questioning.

So to blatantly voice your support for a Shinawatra would be deemed risky by many. If I were Thai and liked her, I would not say anything to some dude with a clipboard (as most of them are military controlled at the moment).

Her support is probably around 60%. I think it was around 45% or so at election time, and there is nothing like being overthrown in a coup to get even more support...look at the woman in Myanmar, for example (and no, I can't stand the Shins too, but it's up to the Thais surely to be able to choose who they want in an ideal world?)

You were the one complaining about Tasking being allegedly involved in the forming of Yingluck's coalition, so your consistency is being questioned here, I never complained about either.

Of course Abhisit isn't the doting mother, whether that puts him at a disadvantage is debatable. I believe he simply lacks popularity to win a general election, as he has proven time and time again.

Check again, Sjakie. I only mentioned the altruistic help our golf caddie provided.

As for lacking popularity, well I think that Ms. Yingluck exploits her feminine side and what goes with it. Now personally I have doubts that makes her a good politician. Still, maybe the Democrat party should look for someone similar? Looks good on the campaign trail? Enormously important for a country and how to move forward?

• Like 1

Check again, Sjakie. I only mentioned the altruistic help our golf caddie provided.

As for lacking popularity, well I think that Ms. Yingluck exploits her feminine side and what goes with it. Now personally I have doubts that makes her a good politician. Still, maybe the Democrat party should look for someone similar? Looks good on the campaign trail? Enormously important for a country and how to move forward?

Behind these trite and vacuous words lies a deep contempt for the Thai people that gave Yingluck a winning mandate at the last general election.Voters certainly liked Yingluck and her unpretentious charm.They voted for however because they believed her party offered the best for their families,communities and country.

No reasonable Thai thinks Yingluck a superior to Abhisit in education or experience.But in democracies politicians need to win over the people and this Abhisit failed to do.Furthermore he was not able to convince the majority of Thais he stood for more than narrow sectional interests.Indeed many saw him as a puppet for the old unelected elites.His lack of compassion,surliness and zero level charisma certainly didn't help him.

• Like 1

Behind these trite and vacuous words lies a deep contempt for the Thai people that gave Yingluck a winning mandate at the last general election.Voters certainly liked Yingluck and her unpretentious charm.They voted for however because they believed her party offered the best for their families,communities and country.

No reasonable Thai thinks Yingluck a superior to Abhisit in education or experience.But in democracies politicians need to win over the people and this Abhisit failed to do.Furthermore he was not able to convince the majority of Thais he stood for more than narrow sectional interests.Indeed many saw him as a puppet for the old unelected elites.His lack of compassion,surliness and zero level charisma certainly didn't help him.

Well thanks for the laugh. Not even I am that enthusiastic about the current government as you seem about the previous one.

So, you state the intelligent Thai people voted for a puppet of the unelected Amply Rich criminal fugitive and you tell me I have a deep contempt for the Thai people?

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Oh said another way basically a quarter of the population preferred Yinluck and a quarter Abhisit...and the remaining half of the population didn't give a crap.

Maybe you missed the news the other day. It seems even having a cartoony picture of a square faced Asian can result in a truckload of military guys smashing down your food stall and taking you away for questioning.

So to blatantly voice your support for a Shinawatra would be deemed risky by many. If I were Thai and liked her, I would not say anything to some dude with a clipboard (as most of them are military controlled at the moment).

Her support is probably around 60%. I think it was around 45% or so at election time, and there is nothing like being overthrown in a coup to get even more support...look at the woman in Myanmar, for example (and no, I can't stand the Shins too, but it's up to the Thais surely to be able to choose who they want in an ideal world?)

How did you manage to come up with 60% support for Yingluck? Have done a personal survey poll in all the regions of Thailand of at least 5% of all the persons in each region or was it just an inspired guess on your part?

• Like 1

Well thanks for the laugh. Not even I am that enthusiastic about the current government as you seem about the previous one.

So, you state the intelligent Thai people voted for a puppet of the unelected Amply Rich criminal fugitive and you tell me I have a deep contempt for the Thai people?

Yes and your latest unthinking hate platitudes merely underline the fact.The Thai people did vote for her and your unhappiness with that fact is legitimate.But though you and I are of no account Thais who refuse to accept democracy should take a lead from Churchill who accepted his electoral defeat in 1945 - showing a generosity of spirit and trust in his people entirely lacking in the Thai establishment and their middle class supporters.Shame on them and shame on you.

• Like 1

Yes and your latest unthinking hate platitudes merely underline the fact.The Thai people did vote for her and your unhappiness with that fact is legitimate.But though you and I are of no account Thais who refuse to accept democracy should take a lead from Churchill who accepted his electoral defeat in 1945 - showing a generosity of spirit and trust in his people entirely lacking in the Thai establishment and their middle class supporters.Shame on them and shame on you.

My dear boy, its you who writes in platitudes, political catchphrases and 50-sh labour insults aimed at the others.

BTW comparing the situation in the United Kingdom (rumour has it a functioning democracy) and Thailand seems a bit off. Also Churchill accepting his electoral defeat has nothing to do with 'generosity'. If it had, you are suggesting Churchill could have refused to accept and done something to obstruct those who won the elections.

In the mean time we have a lovely housewife who seems somewhat lost in politics which seems to make her all the more popular as surely that's just what a country with problems needs.

• Like 1

Maybe, Rubl. Of course Abhisit also lost against Samak for instance, hardly someone that could exploit his feminine side.

Maybe the democrats have a double problem, their policies do not seem to gather much support in parts of Thailand AND their leader suffering from the same problem.

Maybe that daughter of the beer brewer could run, although she obviously believes people in the north and north-east are to uneducated to vote, which hardly helps her chances to win I would say.

Help the democrats win a general election, an almost impossible task.

My dear boy, its you who writes in platitudes, political catchphrases and 50-sh labour insults aimed at the others.

BTW comparing the situation in the United Kingdom (rumour has it a functioning democracy) and Thailand seems a bit off. Also Churchill accepting his electoral defeat has nothing to do with 'generosity'. If it had, you are suggesting Churchill could have refused to accept and done something to obstruct those who won the elections.

In the mean time we have a lovely housewife who seems somewhat lost in politics which seems to make her all the more popular as surely that's just what a country with problems needs.

You don't seem to understand what "generosity of spirit" means.It is this quality that Abhisit lacks and part of the reason the Thai people have consistently rejected him.

The Churchill example is relevant because it illustrates the quality that Abhisit lacks as his reaction after the astonishing electoral defeat in 1945 showed":

Churchill’s wife attempted to soften the blow by saying to him, “It may well be a blessing in disguise,” and Churchill said, “At the moment, it seems quite effectively disguised.”

His doctor said this showed ingratitude on the part of the British people. He said, “No, I wouldn’t call it that. They’ve had a very hard time.”

He told his military adjutant, “They are perfectly entitled to vote as they please – this is democracy. This is what we’ve been fighting for.”

You don't seem to understand what "generosity of spirit" means.It is this quality that Abhisit lacks and part of the reason the Thai people have consistently rejected him.

The Churchill example is relevant because it illustrates the quality that Abhisit lacks as his reaction after the astonishing electoral defeat in 1945 showed":

Churchill’s wife attempted to soften the blow by saying to him, “It may well be a blessing in disguise,” and Churchill said, “At the moment, it seems quite effectively disguised.”

His doctor said this showed ingratitude on the part of the British people. He said, “No, I wouldn’t call it that. They’ve had a very hard time.”

He told his military adjutant, “They are perfectly entitled to vote as they please – this is democracy. This is what we’ve been fighting for.”

At times your English is as crummy as mine. Surely you meant

"The Churchill example is relevant because it illustrates the quality that Abhisit lacks, as his the quality in Churchill's reaction after the astonishing electoral defeat in 1945 showed":"

So, Abhisit's reaction after the 2011 election was not of the quality you expected? You maybe thought he should have embraced Ms. Yingluck, give her a kiss on the cheek rather than his

"I congratulate Pheu Thai for its chance to lead the next government and wish Yingluck Shinawatra every success as the first female prime minister of Thailand,"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/07/03/national/Abhisit-concedes-election-defeat-30159372.html

• Like 1

I'd vote for her over Abhisit. But then I am not Thai.whistling.gif

Anyway what idiot relies on surveys to say how they are perceived by the general public in Thailand at this present moment?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif

A level headed person to vote for out of the two then Abhisit is the only one that fits the bill. You as a non Thai Westerner probability, You have to have a problem somewhere to come to that decision. UNLESS your only thinking that she attracts you.

Please tell the posters her attributes/ chairpersonship/strong leader qualities/--she was not voted in by the electorate but shoved into the job by her brother---give us a break please.

Anyone that is impartial would give my answer. so forget me and the Issan voters. Who could reply to Question time the better. You have lost this one mate, apart from other members of the clan of course they will agree with you.

A level headed person would have seen that I was taking the pi#s out of the article.

So I lost the understanding/favour of a self Imposed satirical bigots diehard dogmatists rant. Well if I have only lost that then I count myself a lucky man.

Just a hint on how to reply, be a little bit more focused on what and how something may be implied. Share respect. If you can’t understand, ask a question, and you might find that people will respect your view even if it is different.

What a B##locks reply, You try to be a bit more straight forward with your twisted type replies. Just a hint for you to know how to reply.

I read what I read--we are not all bleeding mind readers. Your views are always respected ??? not sure about that.

Pol Pot was more popular than Abhisit.

No wonder your Football team is struggling near the bottom of the 1st division.

So there is a direct relation between the results of Millwall and his opinions about Abhisit ?

You keep writing nonsense, you can't help yourself apparently.

At times your English is as crummy as mine. Surely you meant

"The Churchill example is relevant because it illustrates the quality that Abhisit lacks, as his the quality in Churchill's reaction after the astonishing electoral defeat in 1945 showed":"

So, Abhisit's reaction after the 2011 election was not of the quality you expected? You maybe thought he should have embraced Ms. Yingluck, give her a kiss on the cheek rather than his

"I congratulate Pheu Thai for its chance to lead the next government and wish Yingluck Shinawatra every success as the first female prime minister of Thailand,"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/07/03/national/Abhisit-concedes-election-defeat-30159372.html

The quality of my English is neither here nor there, and your focus on it simply demonstrates you have nothing to substance to add.

Abhisit's lack of generosity of spirit is much more than his reaction to election defeat.It is part of the character flaws that damage an otherwise able and impressive man.Voters "see" these things which is way the Thai people have no time for him.