How Has Meditation Benefited You?

Water Buffalo

There are many reasons why people stop their practice.

Usually negative self talk (apparent good reasons).

One common reason was, "I used to meditate quite well but then I began to have trouble reaching that state.".

Good point I think that's what happened to me. After seeing the Dalai Lama in Dec 1973 I had an amazing experience, even more convincing as it was not some sort of emotional response as I thought the Dalai seemed very disappointing in what he had said, mostly about mending clocks. Meditating afterwards it was oceans of light, music like bell sounds and I seemed to be in an vast infinite space, I was quite shaken after it. Happened the next night but not as powerful. Never could get anything like that again it was back to' I wonder how long I have been doing this', so gave up in the end.

reaching some desired state is not the purpose of vipassana meditation

Yep...but now convince the nirvana junkies.

"Like WOW man. I saw Buddha floating right in front of my third eye!"

"Then what happened?"

"He, like, disappeared!"

"E-x-a-c-t-l-y."

Edited by connda

Out of interest, has anyone ever reached Bhanga during Vipassana? They say that is when the most deep-rooted Sankharas come out. And if so, was there a turning point in your life or anything noticable or significant?

I had another decent meditation this morning of Anapanna. I wonder how long i should continue Anapanna before beginning Vipassana again?

Yes, i definately agree that we should not be meditating to achieve a certain state or feeling during the meditation. I wonder if i should also apply this to my counting of benefits aquired in life from the practise?

Continue Anapanna Sati for the entirety of this life. Sitting, standing, lying...Anapanna Sati. Excited, calm, bored...Anapanna Sati. Vipassana will kick in all on its own. You'll be fine.

Edited by connda

Out of interest, has anyone ever reached Bhanga during Vipassana? They say that is when the most deep-rooted Sankharas come out. And if so, was there a turning point in your life or anything noticable or significant?

I had another decent meditation this morning of Anapanna. I wonder how long i should continue Anapanna before beginning Vipassana again?

Yes, i definately agree that we should not be meditating to achieve a certain state or feeling during the meditation. I wonder if i should also apply this to my counting of benefits aquired in life from the practise?

Have you every sat, and no matter how you sat it was physical pain and the mind in endless internal dialog. Well, there you go: "the most deep-rooted Sankharas come out". Well, at least according to S. N. Goenka.

My own teacher would have just told me that my business was to practice, not worry about the results. "Practice is like raising a duck. If it grows fast or slow, it's the duck's business not yours. Let go and just do your own work."

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

One common reason was, "I used to meditate quite well but then I began to have trouble reaching that state.".

Good point I think that's what happened to me. After seeing the Dalai Lama in Dec 1973 I had an amazing experience, even more convincing as it was not some sort of emotional response as I thought the Dalai seemed very disappointing in what he had said, mostly about mending clocks. Meditating afterwards it was oceans of light, music like bell sounds and I seemed to be in an vast infinite space, I was quite shaken after it. Happened the next night but not as powerful. Never could get anything like that again it was back to' I wonder how long I have been doing this', so gave up in the end.

Yep...but now convince the nirvana junkies.

"Like WOW man. I saw Buddha floating right in front of my third eye!"

"Then what happened?"

"He, like, disappeared!"

"E-x-a-c-t-l-y."

why?

it was not vipassana mediation it was hindu, obviously something a bit more effective. The one thing that has always put me off Buddhism, is the smug western know it alls who can come up with the most obscure Buddhist words and concepts, and there are loads on these threads. I'm sure old mr Buddha did not give much credence to such 'clever' sorts and would have shot them down straight away.

not very effective if you had to give it up

I remember using an Audio CD series and I would experience extreme happiness a few days after each session, like somebody injected me with it!

I am now getting back into meditation, this time opting for the more traditional form, plus a few Youtube guided sessions.

I am 3 sessions in and do feel good.

Edited by EASYDOGG

''The one thing that has always put me off Buddhism, is the smug western know it alls who can come up with the most obscure Buddhist words and concepts, and there are loads on these threads. ''

You put yourself off Buddhism with your mindset. The buck stops with you. How sad that your weakness has stopped you from exploring something profound and wonderful.

''The one thing that has always put me off Buddhism, is the smug western know it alls who can come up with the most obscure Buddhist words and concepts, and there are loads on these threads. ''

You put yourself off Buddhism with your mindset. The buck stops with you. How sad that your weakness has stopped you from exploring something profound and wonderful.

Perhaps I should have said smug and condescending. It's always obvious reading through these sort of threads that very few have actually benefited at all from meditation. Most of these threads are actually quite painful to read, too pretentious .

Edited by jacky54

but how have you benefited from your practice.

Taught what it is to be centered which later helps as a good reminder

in life to notice/realize a bit sooner when getting too far off center.

But no matter what (for me anyway) it can all be so very easily (at least momentarily) forgotten

due to external nature/emotion of our lives. No matter how objective we like to think we have become

it is so very easy to slip into subjective at times. But.... if we "remember" center sooner the better IMHO

Also not to sound disrespectful but I have often thought it somewhat basic/easy to be a monk in ways such as remaining centered.

Easy to remember when that is all you have to remember. Go sit & be quiet in a quiet place & be centered.......

Yet I admire those in life I see who have to go function in the world with all its trappings...& while being a worker, a father, a husband, a friend,

Remain mostly centered while doing those things....that is quite impressive to me.

Edited by mania