Russian Pedestrian shot by Police as they chase two bag snatchers in Jomtien

webfact

The sooner that civilians are allowed to carry arms the better what is needed is a Thai NRA, no more punch ups.

Let me guess.... an American posted this.

The trigger-happy ones on this planet.

What the bleep ???? The trigger -happy ones are Thais, currently number three in the

world for gun homicides on a per capita basis. America is not even close...Back to school

for you......

Give this cop a break. He probably lost his contact lens during the chase. Could'nt tell the difference between q 17 year old male and a 42 year old female. Further tests might reveal he was colour blind

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am not a supporter of the RTP in any way, but, they admitted their mistake, are paying all the medical bills, repatriation and remedial therapy costs.............this time.

And it brings an RTP photo op. cops win all round.

A lot of very unthought through comments about this subject. All are just someone's personal opinions, so here's mine. First and foremost , the Thai policeman used very poor jodgement by shooting at a petty thief in a crowded street, two, guns are only tools in the hands of a human being who is the final judge to make it work or leave it at rest, three I believe in the conceal carry laws to people who are trained and respect that as a very serious responsibility .

Would those concealed carry people get more training than the cops who are doing things like this? (Or shooting 12-year-olds playing with toy guns, etc.)

Exactly what training would you get that would make you safe, accurate, and effective when engaged in a firefight in a public area? And how do we know that those people will cause more harm than good when we give them a licence before ever once seeing them in such a scenario?

I'm not a fan of banning firearms. I own guns myself. But I think you have to be ignorant or self-deceptive to believe that guns make you safer. Every bit of evidence and real logic (not the convoluted stuff that scared people try to tell themselves to excuse their fears) says that the streets as a whole, and we as individuals, are safer when there's fewer guns.

I carry my firearms inspecific situations (hunting and target practice), with extreme care, and with the clear knowledge that the presence of my gun makes nearly every situation more dangerous than it was before, not less so. I would never take a gun into a dangerous situation because I know that it could only escalate the damage.

I agree both sides, the public/police and also the criminals should all be allowed to carry guns.

I seem to recal a similar argument in favour of an escalation in the number of nuclear weapons.

The policy was called Mutually Assured Destruction, more commonly recognised by its acronym MAD.

Criminals will carry guns whether they are "allowed to" on not.

Remember, they are criminals.

That is why violent thugs are the greatest supporters of gun control.

Removes a lot of the risk in the business plan.

That's funny, why is it that there are so many more gun murders in countries that have more guns? The criminals all carry at the same rates in all countries, so they should be using guns to kill people just as often in the low-gun nations (or the low-gun states) as in the high-gun naions, right?

So why is it that your little attempt at logic is actually proved false by every bit of data out there?

The sooner that civilians are allowed to carry arms the better what is needed is a Thai NRA, no more punch ups.

More guns will equal more deaths by gun violence, domestic abuse and accidental firing. Thailand does not need the NRA which is the lobbying arm of the American gun manufacturers messing in their country. We Americans should not import this cultural defect to other countries.

Since all these crazy people on ice, yaba etc, usually have guns or other weapons. they use them to rob people and kill people. I wish I could buy a gun here in Thailand legally. I know I can buy one but not legally. Now that the Aussies had to give up there guns see what will happen!!! according to Yahoo news the murder rate in Australia has already gone up 3.5%. Now the innocent civilians can no longer protect themselves.. Hopefully this hostage deal in Sydney is an isolated incident but wait and see. Consealed permit in America is great and most of my friends either have it or agree with it. Come to my house and try something in America and you will get a hollow point surprise, right between the eyes. thumbsup.gif

Yeah, because people who "try something" do it right in front of you and wait for you to pull the gun out.

There is a far greater chance that someone in your own gun-owning household will be injured or killed by a gun (either by accident, suicide, or intentional killing) than that you will ever use it on a criminal. That's been demonstrated by actual numbers time and time again.

As for Australia...no idea where you get your numbers from. But they're wrong.

So what have the Australian laws actually done for homicide and suicide rates? Howard cites a study (pdf) by Andrew Leigh of Australian National University and Christine Neill of Wilfrid Laurier University finding that the firearm homicide rate fell by 59 percent, and the firearm suicide rate fell by 65 percent, in the decade after the law was introduced, without a parallel increase in non-firearm homicides and suicides. That provides strong circumstantial evidence for the law's effectiveness.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/08/02/did-gun-control-work-in-australia/

That decade was 1996 to 2006, when homicide rates had fallen to 1.3 per 100,000 people, the 2nd lowest rate ever recorded in Australia. As of 2012 they'd now fallen to 1.1 per 100,000, the lowest rate ever recorded and less than a quarter of the USA's rate. Also the percentage of homicides that involved guns has dropped below 20%, matching the all-time low from back in the late 1940s.

Meanwhile in the USA, gun deaths have been steadily increasing and are soon set to surpass automobile deaths for the first time since statistics started. Maybe we're doing something wrong, eh?

http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/homicide.html

List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

That would make things much worse. If you need a NRA in your enviroment, I suggest you find a locality that has one and spend more time there.

Were arms more legal than they are now, the people doing the bag snatching and other violent crimes would be the first in line for armaments,

out gun the police within a week. Yaaaaa. Try Texas or Arkansas. You would be more popular than here ... ... ...

A Woman Ironman marathon athelete I knew ran down a car thief that drove off with her car -- She ran a couple miles hurtling hedges and other obstacles and cutting through yards but ran the Guy down! And he was armed, a meth freak that had terrorized our neighborhood. He went to the State Farm for a couple years. So impressed! Maybe the Russian Woman had given chase and the Cops couldn't keep up?

I agree both sides, the public/police and also the criminals should all be allowed to carry guns.

I seem to recal a similar argument in favour of an escalation in the number of nuclear weapons.

The policy was called Mutually Assured Destruction, more commonly recognised by its acronym MAD.

That's funny, why is it that there are so many more gun murders in countries that have more guns? The criminals all carry at the same rates in all countries, so they should be using guns to kill people just as often in the low-gun nations (or the low-gun states) as in the high-gun naions, right?

So why is it that your little attempt at logic is actually proved false by every bit of data out there?

If you re-read the last line of my post, I think you will get the point I was attempting (obviously very badly) to make.

More guns, more weapons of any kind, MAD, totally MAD.

If you re-read the last line of my post, I think you will get the point I was attempting (obviously very badly) to make.

More guns, more weapons of any kind, MAD, totally MAD.

I really think that unless you put it in CAPS (THIS IS A JOKE) then its lost on a lot of people. If you intend irony, sarcasm etc then I was told it needs some sort of smiley to make your intention clear. Policemen firing their guns at a bag snatcher it beggars belief.

I don't understand.they were chasing the bad guys and one of them got shot in the chase. I understand. But I don't understand how she got shot too. Was she part of the chase? ??

The cop from my understanding was shooting from the back of a motorbike as it bounced down the road.

Poorly trained cops shooting at fleeing, unarmed suspects in a crowded tourist area. Brilliant.

Amazing how on the rare occasion the police are actually doing police work here, they flub it up. I think they are so accustomed to not doing real police work, that when the occasion calls for real policing, they are unprepared for the task at hand. It takes little in the way of experience or training to make up a charge, and ask for 200-1000 baht. So, basically you have corrupt, bribe takers trying to do police work. That is a difficult scenario. Is this an indication of the kind of training they get, or just being out of practice, when it comes to policing? Was the woman just a bystander? Shooting at the kids in a crowded area, over a shoulder bag? Is there something missing from this story?

More guns will equal more deaths by gun violence, domestic abuse and accidental firing. Thailand does not need the NRA which is the lobbying arm of the American gun manufacturers messing in their country. We Americans should not import this cultural defect to other countries.

Since all these crazy people on ice, yaba etc, usually have guns or other weapons. they use them to rob people and kill people. I wish I could buy a gun here in Thailand legally. I know I can buy one but not legally. Now that the Aussies had to give up there guns see what will happen!!! according to Yahoo news the murder rate in Australia has already gone up 3.5%. Now the innocent civilians can no longer protect themselves.. Hopefully this hostage deal in Sydney is an isolated incident but wait and see. Consealed permit in America is great and most of my friends either have it or agree with it. Come to my house and try something in America and you will get a hollow point surprise, right between the eyes. thumbsup.gif

That can be a real downer when you are just delivering Chrismas presents

• Like 1

A Woman Ironman marathon athelete I knew ran down a car thief that drove off with her car -- She ran a couple miles hurtling hedges and other obstacles and cutting through yards but ran the Guy down! And he was armed, a meth freak that had terrorized our neighborhood. He went to the State Farm for a couple years. So impressed! Maybe the Russian Woman had given chase and the Cops couldn't keep up?

Did her insurance cover the collision damage?

While I'm NOT advicating all here carrying,,,, There IS something to the thoughts, that in areas of the States that allow carry permits,,, The crooks KNOW it's a possibility,, therefore, are less likely to commit a crime against someone,,, There's a saying in the States... "You meet the most polite people, in the parking lot of a gun shore",,,, There's a lot of truth to that,,,

Where or what was the cop aiming at?

Hope the Police pick up her hospital bills and cost of remaining here in Thailand. If going to be here 6 months will Immigation want her to do a border run to renew her Visa ???????

I take it you did not read the OP?

Police Major General Nittipong, the Provincial Police Commander visited her on Sunday and confirmed the Royal Thai Police would entirely cover all medical and repatriation expenses and he was truly sorry for the mistake made by his officers. - See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/159377/russian-pedestrian-shot-by-police-as-they-chase-two-bag-snatchers-in-jomtien/#sthash.FG75CtC5.dpuf

• Like 1

While I'm NOT advicating all here carrying,,,, There IS something to the thoughts, that in areas of the States that allow carry permits,,, The crooks KNOW it's a possibility,, therefore, are less likely to commit a crime against someone,,, There's a saying in the States... "You meet the most polite people, in the parking lot of a gun shore",,,, There's a lot of truth to that,,,

It's a nice thought, but in practice it doesn't work out to the area being safer. States in the USA with high firearm ownership levels (like Alaska and the south) tend to have higher gun death levels. And homes with firearms are far more likely to have a gun death occur among a family member than homes without firearms.

The problem is, even if "maybe he has a gun" is a slight effect in some people's minds, it doesn't seem to have an actual impact on criminal behavior overall. And when a crime does occur, or when an argument starts, or a fistfight gets going, the action of someone pulling a gun tends to escalate rather than de-escalate the violence. Something that could have ended just with someone losing a wallet or getting a black eye ends with someone losing their life instead. Very few criminals, even armed ones, desire to commit murder - they usually just want to steal someone or beat someone up. But when an armed criminal sees a gun, he usually doesn't think, "Oh, I should go away now", he thinks "I've got to shoot this guy before he shoots me".

And, of course, criminals in regions with a high prevalence of guns are far more likely to end up with a gun themselves than criminals in regions with stricter gun laws. It's not nearly as easy to acquire a gun illegally as some people make it seem, and having an illegal gun puts someone in much higher risk of getting arrested when gun laws are strict, so criminals in developed countries with strict and well-enforced gun laws are much more likely to own guns than criminals in developed countries with loose laws.

And all that doesn't even count the increased prevalence of crime that happens when guns are accessible during elevated moments. My sister's good friend (a girl who I had known well in high school) was just murdered by her ex-boyfriend in a dramatic public shooting. He wasn't a criminal before he went over the edge, and if he hadn't had a gun, then he probably would have just ended up assaulting her before her friends pulled him off. But he already had a gun, and he was really upset, and in the heat of his emotions the worst case scenario occurred. A lot of people might get really angry or really depressed just for a few days or a few weeks, and the weapons they have easy access to during that time will determine a lot about what happens during that period.

Edited by Bangkok Herps
  • Like 1

It's a nice thought, but in practice it doesn't work out to the area being safer. States with high firearm ownership levels (like Alaska and the south) tend to have higher gun death levels. Homes with firearms are far more likely to have a gun death occur among a family member than homes without firearms.

The problem is, even if "maybe he has a gun" is a slight effect in some people's minds, it doesn't seem to have an actual impact on criminal behavior overall. And when a crime does occur, or when an argument starts, or a fistfight gets going, the action of someone pulling a gun tends to escalate rather than de-escalate the violence. Something that could have ended just with someone losing a wallet or getting a black eye ends with someone losing their life instead. Very few criminals, even armed ones, desire to commit murder - they usually just want to steal someone or beat someone up. But when an armed criminal sees a gun, he usually doesn't think, "Oh, I should go away now", he thinks "I've got to shoot this guy before he shoots me".

And all that doesn't even count the increased prevalence of crime that happens when guns are accessible during elevated moments. My sister's good friend (a girl who I had known well in high school) was just murdered by her ex-boyfriend in a dramatic public shooting. He wasn't a criminal before he went over the edge, and if he hadn't had a gun, then he probably would have just ended up assaulting her before her friends pulled him off. But he already had a gun, and he was really upset, and in the heat of his emotions the worst case scenario occurred. A lot of people might get really angry or really depressed just for a few days or a few weeks, and the weapons they have easy access to during that time will determine a lot about what happens during that period.

, I think the main thing about this article, is the total lack of responsibility of the cops to fire, (reported by someone in this thread) 6,, SIX times in the, "general direction" of a couple of simple bag snatchers,,, WITH innocent by-standers everywhere,,, THAT in it self, is completely irresponsible,,, just CRAZY,, There's many accounts of officers in the States, with 20 years of service, stating that they've NEVER had to actually pull their weapon during an actual crime,, Let ALONE having to pull it, and fire it,,, These, "Keystone" cops, have a wild record of it,, in fact it was recently reported several on either side of a fleeing vehicle, attempting to shoot out the tires, and actually shooting each OTHER!,,,, Hahahah,,,, It's irresponsible enough, to fire into an area with by-standers,, while standing/aiming with both hands,,, This article stated they were running/chasing them,,, wanna bet the cop fired in the general direction, ONE handed,, WHILE running?... At the VERY best, he stopped, aimed, fired off 6 rounds, while huffing and puffing from running/chasing them,,,. just CRAZY, CRAZY....

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic about US