Sydney siege: Gunman takes hostages in Lindt cafe

webfact

Yeah.

And this image just sums up Islam for me. The black ISIS flag above a Christmas greeting.

where is the ISIS flag, is it behind the shahada flag ?

I have seen pictures where there has been a clear head shot of these 2 muppets. Why did the snipers not take them out ?

Because the <deleted> in charge are still calling this a hostage situation. I hope that once they get the testicular fortitude to call it what it is, shoot to kill orders will be given.

Yeah.

And this image just sums up Islam for me. The black ISIS flag above a Christmas greeting.

I have seen pictures where there has been a clear head shot of these 2 muppets. Why did the snipers not take them out ?

Because the <deleted> in charge are still calling this a hostage situation. I hope that once they get the testicular fortitude to call it what it is, shoot to kill orders will be given.

There are hostages. That makes it a hostage situation.

• Like 2

Yeah.

Lucky they didn't take the 2 of them out. All the news is that there is only 1 of them.

Yeah my bad. reading articles there is only the 1.... seems Iam confused with the numbers as there was 2 arrested earlier in the day.

The latest International report I've seen says 13-40 hostages, but local news stations might be more clued in.

local news is saying around 13 hostages but no contact has been yet with anyone inside to confirm.

• Black flag with white Arabic writing reading "There is no God but Allah" and "Mohammed is the messenger of God" waved behind the hostages

So not the ISIS flag then. My bad! Doubt that's much comfort for the hostages though.

& what if there's more than two of them in there ?

Some of Australia's best police trained for exactly this situation are on the ground there in Sydney, right now.

Sydney siege: 'Publicity main aim' of Martin Place Lindt cafe hostage drama
Marissa Calligeros

SYDNEY: -- Publicity is the main aim for extremists holding hostages in a Sydney cafe, according to a leading terrorism expert.

That only heightens the "very real" danger to the people held at gunpoint inside the Lindt Chocolate Cafe in Martin Place, Professor Jeff Lewis from Melbourne's RMIT university said.

"The primary focus of these modern terrorism tactics is publicity," he said. "This is a classical tactic of political extremists...

"They want this thing broadcast across the planet.

"The fact that they might be causing harm to individuals is in some respects - I know this is a horrible thing to say - it's incidental to that major project of just being noticed, of just having their cause announced through the media.

"The longer the group has publicity, the closer they are to achieving their objectives. They'll want it to be as protracted as possible, they'll want to cause as much threat as possibly they can...and they'll run this until the publicity fades."

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/national/sydney-siege-publicity-main-aim-of-martin-place-lindt-cafe-hostage-drama-20141215-127epz.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-12-15

• Like 1

• Black flag with white Arabic writing reading "There is no God but Allah" and "Mohammed is the messenger of God" waved behind the hostages

So not the ISIS flag then. My bad! Doubt that's much comfort for the hostages though.

It is however describe on BBC as a Jihadist Flag

Hostages held in Sydney cafe
By Dana Ford, CNN

(CNN) -- A major police operation was under way Monday in Sydney where hostages are being held in a cafe.

CNN affiliate Seven Network said that at least 13 people are being held at the Lindt Chocolate Cafe.

It published a photograph of people inside the building holding a black flag with Arabic writing on it. The flag reads: "There is no God but God and Mohammed is the prophet of God."

Video showed people, presumably hostages, with their hands pressed up against the glass.

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott told reporters that authorities do not yet know the motivation of the person responsible for the ongoing situation.

"We don't know whether this is politically motivated, although obviously there are some indications that it could be," he said.

The Prime Minister added: "The whole point of politically motivated violence is to scare people out of being themselves. Australia is a peaceful, open and generous society. Nothing should ever change that."

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2014/12/14/world/asia/australia-operation/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2014-12-15

• Like 1

President Obama briefed as world reacts dramatic hostage situation in Sydney’s Martin Place

SYDNEY: -- THE US President and global leaders have been briefed on the hostage situation unfolding in Sydney’s Martin Place, as the dramatic siege makes headlines around the world.

White House officials confirmed President Obama’s top counterterrorism adviser Lisa Monaco briefed him on the event, after the family attended an annual Christmas in Washington concert. The White House is yet to release a statement on the issue.

Meanwhile, leaders from New Zealand, Canada and India have expressed solidarity with Australia as the dramatic siege is picked up by media outlets from the BBC to Aljazeera and The New York Times.

I’ve contacted Prime Minister @TonyAbbottMHR to let him know our thoughts are with the people of Australia today.
— John Key (@johnkeypm) December 15, 2014

The incident in Sydney is disturbing. Such acts are inhuman & deeply unfortunate. I pray for everyone's safety.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) December 15, 2014

Canada's thoughts and prayers are with our Australian friends. #MartinPlace #SydneySiege
— Stephen Harper (@pmharper) December 15, 2014

We continue to monitor the situation in #Sydney closely. I've been in touch with @JulieBishopMP and expressed our thoughts and prayers.
— John Baird (@HonJohnBaird) December 15, 2014

Motivation for the attack, which has been unfolding since 10am today, is still unknown. Earlier, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said his heart goes out to the hostages and family involved.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/president-obama-briefed-as-world-reacts-dramatic-hostage-situation-in-sydneys-martin-place/story-fndir2ev-1227156627841

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-12-15

• Like 1

Motivation for the attack, which has been unfolding since 10am today, is still unknown.

Doesn't the black Islamic flag make the motivation pretty obvious?

UG,

What the suits are saying isn't necessarily an indication of how the police professionals are handling the matter.

The public arnt in the loop. It shouldn't surprise you. ;)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is another sad day, of endless islamic violence and terror. Most people, just get on with their day to day lives, and aren't in the slightest bit interested in religious bigotry. I sincerely hope that the innocent people who are being held hostage by this scum are released or rescued without casualty.

It really is too late for that now to be honest, if they make it out without a scratch they still will be scared for life. Imagine the emotional trauma these people are facing right now! For NO REASON.

Oz

Australian Police Calls Sydney Cafe Siege Armed Attack, Not Terrorist Act

Australian police announced that a single armed man took an unknown number of people hostage at a Sydney cafe in an incident that is not yet classified as a terrorist act

MOSCOW, December 15 (Sputnik) — A single armed man took an unknown number of people hostage at a Sydney cafe in an incident that is not yet classified as a terrorist act, Australian police told reporters Monday.

"I can confirm for you that we have an armed offender in premises holding an undisclosed number of hostages," New South Wales (NSW) Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said at a press conference.

Unconfirmed reports on local news outlets alleged the hostage-taker contacted a local radio host, claiming four explosive devices were planted across Sydney and demanding to speak with Prime Minister Tony Abbott. The CEO of the establishment under siege was reported by the News Corp online outlet to peg the number of hostages at 40 to 50 people.

Full story: http://sputniknews.com/asia/20141215/1015838625.html

-- Sputnik News 2014-12-15

How many millions of Muslims around the world support what they are doing in Sydney?

Judging by their silence at events like this - most of them.

Muslim leaders in Sydney are "devastated" and have "condemned" this.

Just because you haven't heard what millions of Muslims have said doesn't mean that they're silent.

• Like 1