Bangkok's bus fleet procurement: why Scania, Volvo opt out

webfact

I hope it is the dropdown platform busses so that they can pick up wheelchair bound passengers or will it just end up with some cheap Chinese copy of a 1946 Volvo from the Ting Tong bus company in china with especially built Smokey diesel engines so that spares can be used from the old Bangkok busses to keep up the lovely high pollution levels in Bangkok.

• Like 2

its about time to replace those many decade old smoky buses poising the bangkok population everyday... coffee1.gif

No, I love them, an essential part of the city's ecology -- and there's no corruption with them, just honest-to-goodness antique charm.

Both companies belong to the world's best producers of public bus transport vehicles and follow among the most stringent laws in the world.

If THEY opt not to participate in the tender, then I can only wish the tax payers of Bangkok GOOD LUCK as they are taken, once more again and possibly not for the last time, on a fantastic ride on the Thai politicians merry-go-round.

The writing is on the wall ............... but the voters turned blind eyes for decades to the reality and now have to face the music.

Although Scania and Volvo are the most driven quality craftcars in Europe, they are not good enough. Chinese much better !

But when the sh.. really hits the fan (Thailand taken over by the Chinese), you politicians are retired in comfort, so who gives a f...?

Maybe they can change there quality rice in storehouses against some quality busses from china.

Who buys cheap, usually buys twice.
Buy a buss for 5 Mio. with a lifetime of 5 years or
buy a buss for 8,5 Mio with a lifetime of 10 years.

At a cost-benefit analysis, the authorities are not interested.
The decision makers have only one question: "Where is the most money for me, here and right now."

I cannot think what fellow posters are complaining about; having returned to Bangkok after several years away, I find that the jointly-operated mini buses that duplicate many routes operated by the BMA have been upgraded. No more asphixiating belches of black smoke, no danger of being crushed by falling bodywork, no longer are they '60s vintage but they've been upgraded to the 1980s.

And all for a modest eight Baht, hardly more than when I left.

Now if they could only wean the ADHD-prone drivers off ya ba and look thung.....

Edited by asdecas
  • Like 1

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

3000 ish buses at approx 4 mil each = about 12 billion... So how is the deal worth approx 29 billion to the winning bidder ?

Does seem quite a large mark up for 100+% profit, They would usually have a Defect liability period , say 2 years. Plus where are the buses being made if they are to be shipped then that wont be cheap. Probably for the winning company setting up a factory in Thailand could be practical

Scania Siam never had a NGV Bus in the Thai market and they are not able to produce busses in the price range 3.8 - 4.5 million ฿. So what? Stupid whingers.

Do not confuse Scania Siam with Scania...

"Do not confuse Scania Siam with Scania..."

Hate to spoil your day but:

Scania Siam is a wholly-owned subsidary of Scania Sweden.

Nothing to confuse, it is the same company!!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Scandia is a sore loser. They don't make the product Thailand is requesting, "Cng/NGV powered", so they trash the buyer. I wonder does Volvo make a Cng buss?

The only sore loser here is you!!

Scania do indeed make "Cng/NGV powered buses.http://newsroom.scania.com/en-group/2014/10/29/scania-launches-new-gas-bus-for-bus-systems/

They just don't want to get involved in the dirty Thai game: Corruption and decades in Thai courtrooms to get paid!!

its about time to replace those many decade old smoky buses poising the bangkok population everyday... coffee1.gif

No, I love them, an essential part of the city's ecology -- and there's no corruption with them, just honest-to-goodness antique charm.

Those "Hino" things seem pretty well indestructible any way, why not fit them with cleaner engines?

By the way, what happened to those green minibuses, you know, the ones which provided employment to all the local psychopaths?

Scania Siam never had a NGV Bus in the Thai market and they are not able to produce busses in the price range 3.8 - 4.5 million ฿. So what? Stupid whingers.

Dream on...

The junta should use it as a road safety campaign and buy the safest ones. I know Bkk buses don't cause many fatalities but it would be a good positive message. Busses in Thailand are death traps.

It's my main concern about living in Thailand something that shouldn't be accepted as not our (foreigners) problem.

The biggest killer of young men in Thailand is road accidents not protests or terrorists.

Kill two birds with one stone, fix the corruption in the order process and use it also as a crackdown on busses and all &lt;deleted&gt; road rules.

Thirty people dead a day and it's not even a issue that has been raised.

Dream on...

http://www.scania.co.th/about-scania/scania-in-brief/

Looking forward to your reply!!coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

• Like 2

Dream on...

http://www.scania.co.th/about-scania/scania-in-brief/

Looking forward to your reply!!coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Knockout punch in favor of JOC !!! :-)

• Like 1