DLT: Taxis that do not pass inspection are not eligible for using new fare

webfact

PNSOC571215001000301.jpg

BANGKOK, 15 Dec 2014, (NNT) – The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has stressed taxis that do not pass a quality inspection are not eligible for using the newly adjusted fare.

The DLT has urged taxi operators to bring their vehicles for the inspection at any of the Land Transport offices in Bangkok which are now open for the service everyday from 7 AM to 6 PM.

The department strongly underlined that the vehicles that have not undergone the quality inspection would not have their meters adjusted in time for the new fare to take effect on December 22nd.

According to the DLT, taxis that have undergone the inspection would receive the carbon blue seal to be displayed on the meter, adding that officials would keep close record of the vehicle owners, in the department’s bid to prevent those without license from operating taxis. The department also stressed taxi owners are required to maintain their vehicles regularly and make sure the vehicles have necessary equipment required by law.

The vehicle inspection mainly requires the standard of air-conditioning system, tire condition, seat belts, headlights, indicators, front seats and back seats.

The DLT affirmed it would deploy officials to conduct taxi inspection on a regular basis to ensure that all of the vehicles in service have undergone the quality inspection. These officials will be stationed in front of department stores, bus terminals and other highly populated areas.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-15 footer_n.gif

They need to put something highly visible on the cars that are lega to be operating and with a seal thats difficult to copy. Otherwise they are wastng their time and the illegal ones will continiu to operate. The companies records shouuld be checked regularly and any vehicles not legal should be seized.

• Like 1

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has stressed taxis that do not pass a quality inspection are not eligible for using the newly adjusted fare.

So, a two-tier system: old bangers for a lower fare; full fare for vehicles that pass the inspection?

Shouldn't vehicles that do not pass the inspection be taken off the road and impounded by the authorities?

• Like 1

Seat belts in the back? I'll believe it when i see it....Never seen any yet...

Doesn't say seatbelts in the back, just says they are going to inspect back seats. I don't believe rear seatbelts are required to be used in the back unless the law has been changed and even if it did often private hired vehicles are exempt. Regardless the seatbelts are usually there, they just get tucked under the seats because they get in the way of the vast majority of people who don't wear them in the backseat of a taxi.

• Like 2

The vehicle inspection mainly requires the standard of air-conditioning system, tire condition, seat belts, headlights, indicators, front seats and back seats.

What the hell about the brakes and the emission system? You think they should be checked also.

Brakes agree but emissions ... few taxis are even burning gasoline and CNG & LPG pollutes a lot less than gasoline vehicles powered vehicles in much of the rest of the world.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And those that fail are allowed to continue operating? How about taking those that fail OFF THE ROADS.

How are we, the taxi riding public, supposed to tell which taxis passed and which did not?

Common sense would dictate this. HOWevercoffee1.gif

in nanny state has the seat belt behind theif you've never seen seatbelt behind, you're blind or you need glasses? hve time I have taken the taxi as there are seat belt in the rear. taxi, it should not be required to use, whether to use or not is a personal choice, my body, my choice, the authorities do not own my body.

I wonder how many taxis here would pass the stringent UK PSV test? (Are taxis still called PSVs and lorries HGVs?)

Been away too long!!guitar.gif

most western countries is communist government owns you and your body, if you do not like thailand you may as well just go home to the perfect rip off world (nanny states) and enjoy your personal freedom there, hahahahhahahaha

I'm glad I live in safe thailand, I have escaped from westen, too much Muslims and Islamists, just wait a few years so do most western countries like Saudi arbaia with Sharia law, women who walk around with solid garments ban against eating pork, all meat should be halal, they have Allr started in several countries, uk, france, sweden, belgium, believing that Europe becomes safer better with mass immigration really believe also in Father Christmas, when European nanny states are occupied and are fortress war so I sit in thailand and is included on the countries that were wealthy now lies in ruins ......

I wonder how many taxis here would pass the stringent UK PSV test? (Are taxis still called PSVs and lorries HGVs?)

we are not in UK and thank God for it, in thailand we have personal freedom, in the UK there is no liberty, if you miss laws and regulations then one should stay in perfect vest, hahah lol

This made me think about the available career options for most Thai males: Policeman, Taxi driver, Truck driver, noodle vendor, paisan for the local boss... what else? Anyone?

What else is there that requires no skill and no education?

Buckling down on people who are at the last knot in the rope is not a very intelligent way to approach this, I think. While they do frustrate me many times, when I look at it from their point of view, then I cannot answer the question of what else they have to do if the government puts them out of business. Not good.

Bapoboy

..........most western countries is communist government owns you and your body......................

..........in thailand we have personal freedom, in the UK there is no liberty...........

.........most western countries like Saudi arbaia ........

What the hell have you been smoking?

Jesus!!!

Edited by Cuchulainn

What the hell about the brakes and the emission system? You think they should be checked also.

It's an examination to determine the eligibility of the car to be used as a taxi, not a technical vehicle inspection, other agencies take care of that.

we are not in UK and thank God for it, in thailand we have personal freedom, in the UK there is no liberty, if you miss laws and regulations then one should stay in perfect vest, hahah lol

This 'if you don't like it, go home' style of comment is hardly an intelligent or valid argument in these cases... posters who make such comments fail to recognise the Thai's who also feel exactly the same way as many non-nationals when it comes to issues such as taxi safety etc in Thailand.

If some posters feel no need to wear a seatbelt that is their freedom, however, along with many others, Thai's included, I would like the option to choose a seatbelt, which means the presence of and adherence to basic safety standards.

While bapoboy to some extent is correct in that we should not expect the same standards as the West, I don't consider it reasonable to accept fundamental flaws in personal safety as 'personal freedom'... This isn't an improvement in personal freedom over the West, it is an increase in risk which isn't the same.

If some feel they have greater personal freedom here than in the West the idea may be slightly distorted, people here have greater chance of getting away with silly or dangerous things - this personal freedom, or lack of consequence manifests itself in its most ugly form when we see people maimed and injured by drunk drivers, shot in an ego fuelled gun fight or shot by a passing police man chasing a thief... these and many more 'freedoms' seem more like failures to me.

While that is said, the pendulum has swung too far in the West and basic freedoms have been eroded as our desecration is replaced by silly little laws.

People are not looking for a complete switch to Western standards in Thailand, however, a healthy balance would be extremely well received by many.

Its not the taxis but the drivers who need inspection !

Both do... recently I encountered a terrible journey on the expressway (thus couldn't readily exit and change taxi's).

The driver, who's photo and registration information was readily visible on his ID plate admitted to only having started driving 3 days ago !!!....

&lt;deleted&gt; !!!!... he'd been doing 60 kmh on the express way, unable to maintain his lane.. Quite frightening while other cars and busses were passing at 120 kmh... I had to turn on the hazard lights !...

Took a taxi to the airport on Sat and was total king with the driver about the fare increase..

He told me about this inspection when I asked him if he was using the 'new fare' that went into effect on Sat.

He said, no... Because his taxi hadn't yet gone for the test/certification yet.

I asked him if he thought this fare increase will help him and he seemed a bit unsure whether he would ever see any increase to his bottom line ...

He rents his taxi from one if the big taxi companies (similar to a majority of the taxis on Bangkok streets)

Given this, he has no idea when the taxis will be sent by the company for the inspection

Also seemed to think that it was pretty likely that given this inspection requirement, the taxi company would increase the daily rental fee of all 'approved taxis' ... Saying that the cost of the approval process/ requirements would increase the rental companies costs for upkeep and maintenance ...

So he believes that maybe very possible that even though he may collect more money from customers, likely he will not see much (if any) more .. As most will be passed up the chain to rental companies.

Asked him if this means would be better to buy his own car... He laughed a bit and joked 'if I had enough money to buy my own taxi, would already have done so'...

Also said that given the inspection... Likely going to be harder for privately owned taxis anyway...

As seemed to think the inspection may require some 'connection' to ensure passing..

in nanny state has the seat belt behind theif you've never seen seatbelt behind, you're blind or you need glasses? hve time I have taken the taxi as there are seat belt in the rear. taxi, it should not be required to use, whether to use or not is a personal choice, my body, my choice, the authorities do not own my body.

your body , your choice. Until something happens in the road and the driver has to slam on his breaks causing you to continue moving forward (can you defy physics?) at 50 /60 /70 miles per hour into the poor drivers seat . seriously injuring him and yourself . becoming a burden to hospitals and loved ones.

90 kg slaming into someone at 60mph is no joke but your body your choice eh?

WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS PEOPLE this is a dangerous country on the roads. lead by example.

*14 years experience cutting numbskulls out of car wrecks