Thai government's New Year fuel price 'gift'

webfact

Nothing to do with the worldwide price of oil of course, just "Dear "Leader" helping his people.

My thoughts exactly Dear leader is lying and feeding the mushrooms crap. Talk about lies deceit coming from the junta and idiots probably believe this

Just spoke to a well educated Thai that wasn't exactly aware that oil prices had dropped, but she did think that Thailand paid less for their fuel than other countries, presumably because the Thai government love the people of Thailand and want to help them.

She doesn't sound that well educated, based on what you are saying...

Let me do the math.. Before the coup, 91 was at 36.50.. Now at 34. That is a 10b drop if you are doing Thai math.w00t.gif

But do the math using Gasoline 95....on 4 Jan 14 Bt48.45/liter...now on 16 Dec 14 down to Bt37.36/llter...doing regular math (or Thai math) that's a Bt11.09 drop. Govt is not telling no lie here....they are just picking and choosing the fuel which gives the best statistic for the news media...any govt press release would do the same. w00t.gif

http://www.pttplc.com/en/Media-Center/Oil-Price/pages/Bangkok-Oil-Price.aspx?s=1

Let me do the math.. Before the coup, 91 was at 36.50.. Now at 34. That is a 10b drop if you are doing Thai math.w00t.gif

abot 1600 liter per bbl. at 36 baht equals about 6600 baht which is about 200 dollar per bbl.using oil price( pre coup topped at 120) and highest ever was 150

5% drop in pump price vs today oil at 57 vs 120 equates to 180 dollar oil . now do the math if you want exact numbers, these are rounded but give a idea of how someone is being screwed.

figures do nt lie its what the bean counpers. media, politicans, etc do with them that lie.

Edited by slapout

Hey, if the 'dear leader' put a self serving twist on the so called 'gift' who's to stop him?

really, how many ordinary Thai people knows that the price of crude has dropped

under $60 now? for them, it's a gift from the government...

How many of them know what day of the week it is?

i think the government announced there would be a list of ' gifts ' released on Dec 25.

Any chance the announcement will be made by someone in a Santa suit, maybe even the PM himself ?

No reason why the Minister of Tourism doesn't then weigh in and state the the whole Santa thing actually originated here.

No they cant possibly say that. But maybe they will claim he lives here now during off season

The National Energy Policy Committee has lowered the price of diesel fuel and petrol by Bt1 and Bt2 a litre respectively in what has been labelled a New Year gift in line with government policy.

From looking at the Fuel Price Structure at the govt EPPO website, the price of regular diesel yesterday was Bt27.89 (I filled up the SUV yesterday) and today it's Bt26.89, a Bt1 reduction.

The price change was mostly driven by the Ex-Refinery cost going down just a little from Bt17.75 to 17.62 per liter (cost to manufacturer the fuel), the Oil Fund tax (tax being reduced from Bt4.8 to 4.5),the Marketing & Margin going down from Bt 2.7 to 2.4, and the various other taxes like VAT being a little less...it all adds up to exactly Bt1.

Now if the govt wanted to they could have lowered the Oil Fund tax all the way down from 4.8 to 0 and the other various taxes which would have lowered the price by around Bt6 if they wanted to...don't guess they really didn't want to give a big tax reduction gift...just a little one. The govt is still pulling down plenty of tax revenue...their gift only reduced the tax a little.

You can compare the price structure between the EPPO 16 Dec and 15 Dec spreadsheet snapshots below....at least open up the snapshots to see the various taxes applied between the Ex-Refinery Price and the Price the Consumer pays. If a number has a "negative" sign in front of it that actually a subsidy that the govt is kicking in from the Oil Fund to lower the price...if no sign/positive sign in front of the number that is price or tax.

Only on LPG and Gasohol 95 (E85) is the govt chipping in money (a true subsidy) to lower the cost of the fuel. Note: CNG not addressed in the spreadsheets. In all of cases the govt is not chipping in any money...instead the govt is making it sound like they are chipping in money when they are only lowering the tax a little. A govt will call this tax reduction a subsidy because it makes it sound like they are chipping in extra money but they are not; they are still collecting tax, just a little less tax.

16 Dec Price Structure

post-55970-0-84290700-1418697906_thumb.j

15 Dec Price Structure

post-55970-0-47233000-1418697920_thumb.j

Hey, if the 'dear leader' put a self serving twist on the so called 'gift' who's to stop him?

You've got a point about people not knowing the price has dropped as this is international news which doesn't interest most Thais who are also not well up on domestic matters either.

Add to this something an old gf of mine used to say about people in authority saying anything thing they want because they expect / demand to be believed and of course questioning what they say is all but out of the question.

Nothing to do with the worldwide price of oil of course, just "Dear "Leader" helping his people.

My thoughts exactly Dear leader is lying and feeding the mushrooms crap. Talk about lies deceit coming from the junta and idiots probably believe this

Just spoke to a well educated Thai that wasn't exactly aware that oil prices had dropped, but she did think that Thailand paid less for their fuel than other countries, presumably because the Thai government love the people of Thailand and want to help them.

She doesn't sound that well educated, based on what you are saying...

Studied/lived in Taiwan. Probably our best employee, but I assume, like most Thais, believes what the government tells them. The internet should be making everyone smarter and more knowledgeable (if you use it the right way).

I guess the government believes the Thai people are that stupid to believe this bunch of crap that they are telling them.

The government does Not believe Thai people are stupid.... They KNOW...... and they keep them that way.. Works for me..!

Agree 100% the AVERAGE Thai doesn't watch the news or read a paper, in fact when I try to bring up conversation about news topics in general they run a mile......they don't want to make a comment.....Jeab Hua (hurts their head they say). Saying that Thai news just doesn't allow that type in information to be broadcast anyway......so yes a gift from the Government he he he......

I guess the government believes the Thai people are that stupid to believe this bunch of crap that they are telling them.

They believed Thaksin.. so this will work too.

Difference is that when Thaksin spoke craps, attacks from all fronts. With this Govenment, no attacks allowed and all must be happy.

Difference is that when Thaksin spoke craps, attacks from all fronts. With this Govenment, no attacks allowed and all must be happy.

No difference based on what our mango chap said. This or previous government thinking Thai people stupid.

Anyway, this 'gift' is just a coincidence, oil somewhat cheaper currently. Not sure how long that will last though and this government is still trying to 'broaden' the taxpayers base and government tax income in order to financing economy stimulating project (and pay of some debt left by previous government(s) less able to do proper accounting).

Edited by rubl

Im most countries the price of gas at the pump is in line with the price of oil on the world markets. At least that relates to countries that have not gone tax mad, like Australia. Here, it is not the case. Of course they should be lowering gas prices in line with the markets. The PTT, and the oil ministry must be pocketing alot of extra cash at this point in time.

He added that since the National Council for Peace and Order, which he also heads, seized power from the elected government, fuel prices in Thailand had dropped by nearly B10 a litre.

And they could have just as easily gone higher had price of oil gone up during that period. Surely they don't expect ordinary Thais to fall for this? Jesus, someone get be outa here!

Since the National Council for Peace and Order, which he also heads, seized power from the elected government, rubber prices in Thailand had dropped by nearly B100 a kg.

No difference based on what our mango chap said. This or previous government thinking Thai people stupid.

Anyway, this 'gift' is just a coincidence, oil somewhat cheaper currently. Not sure how long that will last though and this government is still trying to 'broaden' the taxpayers base and government tax income in order to financing economy stimulating project (and pay of some debt left by previous government(s) less able to do proper accounting).

Rubi, trivial difference. Stupid Thais can kick out the previous government. Not now.

Anyway that's not topic related. Oil will stay low for some time with Saudi not cutting production and shale oil continue to upset the supply and demand equation. I understand that they is a oversupply of 1m barrels each day. Today China and Japan machinery orders reported down and will be factored into the demand. The government will have to do more to stimulate the domestic economy and will likely to also leave a debt for the next government; most exiting governments don't leave surplus.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is there even a word for "democracy" in Thai language?
And has it been banned yet?

I think "democracy" translates into the Thai for the word "coup."

Blatant thoughtless statements from this government administration makes its credibility very questionable that anyone knows what is really happening to the economy, much less being able to correct it.

"Prayut said the fuel-price structure had been distorted, causing motorists to use liquefied petroleum gas and forcing the country to import more of the product.

Okay, so government energy policy was wrong. But, then ...

"Nevertheless, he said the LPG price for households would remain unchanged. For oil-based fuels, he said more price cuts were possible."

Thus, forcing the country to import more of the product!

The price of all fuels in the US has been cut dramatically and is still in free fall because of the glut of crude oil in the world at this time...I would like to know how the Thai government orchestrated this momentous event...