Stressed Thai mother buries newborn alive

webfact

Stressed mother buries newborn alive
By Coconuts Bangkok

kwaenoimap.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A 27-year-old mother who showed signs of post-partum depression admitted this morning to killing her baby by burying it alive in a shallow dirt hole by the Kwae Noi river in Phitsanulok province.

One day after her husband reported his wife and 24-day-old baby missing to district police, a relative contacted the man to say they’d found his wife sitting alone by the river, where she was unresponsive to questions and was taken into police custody.

Names of both the mother and father, 28, were withheld by authorities.

Witnesses reported seeing the woman dig a hole by the river where she buried the baby. They intervened and tried to rescue the baby boy from the dirt.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/16/stressed-mother-buries-newborn-alive

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-12-16

Good grief, what a tragic situitation.

As for the mother being a monster, no, not so. In serious need of professional help, yes indeed.

I think you will be hard pressed to explain how someone who buries an infant alive is not a monster

Perhaps if they let her free she could move next door to your family or your neices nephews etc

• Like 2

Im a woman and i have to ask - If a man is suffering from depression after loosing his job is it ok for him to go out and kill someone? After all "depression" is a crippling mental illness. If this woman is capable of this she SHOULD be locked up!!

Good grief, what a tragic situitation.

As for the mother being a monster, no, not so. In serious need of professional help, yes indeed.

I agree. This is not as unusual as some might think. And actually happens quite a lot in all countries. The cases I have seen usually did not go to prison and received appropriate mental health care.

Sad for all family.

• Like 2

Anyone who lacks maternal instinct enough to care for their child has something seriously wrong with them and should be sterilized

She has now committed murder and should be exocuted imo

Well it's a good job your opinion doesn't count for anything. Have you never heard of postnatal depression? " She should be exocuted", sic. Disgusting comment.

Anyone who kills a baby does not deserve to live

And burying the child alive!!!

I don't care how depressed she is; your sympathy for this monster truly disgusts me

You are one sick SOB that needs help immediately.

Im a woman and i have to ask - If a man is suffering from depression after loosing his job is it ok for him to go out and kill someone? After all "depression" is a crippling mental illness. If this woman is capable of this she SHOULD be locked up!!

deleted

Edited by dcutman

Hard to fault that logic.

It is difficult to fathom how a mother could kill her own child in such a way, postnatal depression does seem to be a possible explanation.

Postnatal depression a condition were the expectant mother is malnourished and the rapidly growing fetus in the womb creates additional nutritional demands overwhelming the reserve stores in the mother’s body. The developing fetus nutritional needs drain the mother to a point where there are not enough vitamins and minerals left to support her normal brain chemistry and she falls into a deep depression.

It is not abnormal for humans to become dangerously aggressive when they experience nutritional challenges, just think about how your personality changes from hunger when you just miss one meal.

Such a sad situation that could have been corrected, it’s so important that expectant mothers receive high quality nutrition during and after the birth. I guess it is not always possible for the poor. RIP little one…

What does it mean to be exocuted? Could someone give me the meaning of this word. Please, pretty please.

The word is "executed". It means that a person or persons has decided that your life is of no value, and they want you to die. They acted accordingly. In civilized societies, this barbarism is limited to those outside the law. In some countries (and in the past most) such killing is also carried out by the state.

This type of thing would not happen if only the GOV gave pregnant womeb some much needed education about the changes their bodies make after birth and how to deal with them.

When my wife was pregnant and after birth she didn't understand her depression either. Luckily i did and was able to help her understand it and cope with it. The hospital ans the doctors do not look for these signs here and do not warn that they can appear.

whistling.gif Birth is a traumatic event for a woman.

The body produces natural tranquilizers and pain killers during birth to make the woman calm and (frankly) doped-up to handle the pain and stress of birth.

Different women react differently to giving birth.

It's not unusual for a woman that just gave birth to feel depressed after a birth.

Sometimes extremely depressed.

That is another reason (there are many reasons, but this is one of them) that a woman should be encouraged to nurse (breast feed) her baby as soon as she can after birth.

Nursing her baby also can cause her body to secrete substances into her blood that produce a feeling of happiness and contentment.

That is nature's way of helping to build the mother-baby bond.

Unfortunately, everything mother nature tries doesn't always work.

And yes, prenatal care and consoling is very important here.

Edited by IMA_FARANG