Korat Immigration Update.

Been for my 12 Month Extension today and some changes at Korat Immigration which some of you may like to be aware of.

Firstly, they've done away with the queue system. Previously, on arrival, you selected, on the machine by the door, the reason for your visit (Extension, 90 day, re-entry etc), and it churned out a queue number. You could get a feel for how long a wait by the number the officer was processing by a digital display over their heads.

Now all this is turned off.

On arrival now there is an officer asking why you've come and checking your papers; the queue for this officer was struggling to stay in the building.

He then gives you a ticket from his drawer rather than the machine.

On checking my papers, at 10am, he wanted all pages of my passport copied i.e. all previous Extensions, Reentries from the last 3 years. He wanted all the pages signed (which they normally ask you to do in front of an officer).

He then gave me a number and told me to come back after lunch. Although the digital queue displays were off I heard them announce number 4 at 10:15. There were 3 officers processing applications.

So, I returned after lunch and when my turn came they were extremely diligent in checking everything; it was more than 1.5 hours before they returned my passport duly signed and stamped. They spent a lot of time on my proof of address, questioned my funds more than normal and they reviewed all my previous extensions. I also had to complete and sign a form acknowledging the new penalties for being late with 90 day reporting.

To the best of my knowledge everyone was having the same thorough checks and the waiting room was full. There was even a jovial officer walking round asking everyone to remain seated so as not to "stress" the officers!

I only recognised one of the officers from previous visits so obviously new faces.

A much longer day than normal in Korat.

• Like 2

MichaelJohn,

are you from the UK?

I am only asking this because i also have to deal with that office

since i live in Korat city.

I'm from the US myself, but have encounted many issues with this office.

My extension doesn't come up for renewal until April,

but my last visit for it was, very frustrating to say the least.

Iv'e been here 5 years now, and most of the 90 day reports have gone okay, not great, but okay.

My retirement extensions.....well... like i said....not well at all.

Seem's they just willy nilly any illogicial idea at that time to make us aware

that their the one's in charge...which they are...but want it shoved down

our throats.

Any way im glad that you survived and it is now in the past until next time.

I was down there a few weeks back to convert to a extension based on retirement.
There could be improvements. But maybe it is a good idea to have all you paperwork checked by an officer before giving you a number. Saves wasted time later.

I did notice it is the arrogance of some people that causes the problem. They did mess a Yank about asking for extra copies and made him wait longer before giving him his passport back.
But he deserved it.

We have to remember like it or not they have the upper hand.

MichaelJohn,

are you from the UK?

I am only asking this because i also have to deal with that office

since i live in Korat city.

I'm from the US myself, but have encounted many issues with this office.

My extension doesn't come up for renewal until April,

but my last visit for it was, very frustrating to say the least.

Iv'e been here 5 years now, and most of the 90 day reports have gone okay, not great, but okay.

My retirement extensions.....well... like i said....not well at all.

Seem's they just willy nilly any illogicial idea at that time to make us aware

that their the one's in charge...which they are...but want it shoved down

our throats.

Any way im glad that you survived and it is now in the past until next time.

never ever had a problem with korat,90day reporting in and out in less than 30mins,extensions this time 1hr.5mins.normally 30mins.but the last 3 extensions have all been different staff.

so next timebiggrin.png sawadeewai.gif good morning sirsmile.png works for methumbsup.gif oh and dont forget THANK YOU.wai.gif

if you want to say anything wait until your out of ear shot.bah.gif

With regards to the opening post, the office at Kap Choeng is following the same proceedure. So it may be a national thing. Also at Kap Choeng the officer that dealt with me wasn't happy because my money was in a fixed term account. No money had been withdrawn from it over the previous 12 months and he wanted to know what monies we lived on. Only after seeking advice did he accept things.

I too have never had a problem at Korat. 90 day in 5 mins, 12 months in 1 hour. I too am respectful and polite and never arrogant (experienced in this respect!), but this time there was a big difference.

Don't know if the guy checking my documents was a trainee but he asked for copies of many things that I thought "ridiculous" but of course I smiled and got them for him. When I was called to the counter I didn't produce them initially (as they were not normal), but I was certainly asked for them; primarily copies of previous years extensions.

I too have never had a problem at Korat. 90 day in 5 mins, 12 months in 1 hour. I too am respectful and polite and never arrogant (experienced in this respect!), but this time there was a big difference.

Don't know if the guy checking my documents was a trainee but he asked for copies of many things that I thought "ridiculous" but of course I smiled and got them for him. When I was called to the counter I didn't produce them initially (as they were not normal), but I was certainly asked for them; primarily copies of previous years extensions.

thats the way mj,i was answering alan653 who seemed to have many issue's with them at korat,nevermind what they put you through you got to GRIN AND BEAR IT.but i have seen quite a few with a bad attitude with them and they dont forget,eg.wait till your next visit.

this time [new staff] as i always have my ext.money in a fixed acc.and never touch it,in the past they always ask me what we live on so i always take my exs.bank book but this time he didnt ask.must have been the 100bht.tip i gave him for lunch.